AMD: "[Developers use PhysX only] because they’re paid to do it"

Nah wrong word. Consumer purchases are inherently subjective. I meant pragmatic. When you log off from the fanboi wars it's just you and your personal experience and that beats all the noise any day of the week. That's why it amazes me how people get all self-righteous over graphics card companies - nVidia's marketing shenanigans don't affect the quality of their products. I can guarantee you that if their products themselves were more attractive people wouldn't care about the other stuff because really, who would buy an inferior graphics card out of of some misguided sense of moral responsibility?

People always complain that AMD doesn't do enough to help devs, and now they are providing a library/SDK to help devs deal with Eyefinity and other AMD exclusive tech, you're complaining that they are using going down the road of vendor-id ? There is a big difference between the two.

I do not have a problem with AMD trying to help devs.

I am just apprehensive that it could be the first shot from the green corner in the ongoing vendorid lockout war.

Actually he was saying that as an objective customer he will continue to purchase nVidia's products if they provide a better experience. All the whining and crying about aggressive marketing, paying off developers, proprietary features etc don't register with people beyond the enthusiast forums. Most people just don't give a crap about the nVidia vs ATi nonsense so when they see/hear that there is some feature that is nVidia only that's the only thing that clicks. And that's why nVidia still does it even with all the constant bitching at them. I presume the same goes for developers - most of their sales come from consoles anyway so a few million from nVidia is just icing on the cake. The crying from "PC gamers" who wouldn't have bought the game anyway probably doesn't matter to them.

Thx! Well said. The average consumer will buy Nvidia next time if he has a problem with one or more games on AMD hardware and vice versa of course. So if i discover that my AMD hardware does not work so nice with certain games compared to the Nvidia based card my friend has i will buy Nvidia next time - plain and simple. So AMD has to step up here.

Nah wrong word. Consumer purchases are inherently subjective. I meant pragmatic. When you log off from the fanboi wars it's just you and your personal experience and that beats all the noise any day of the week. That's why it amazes me how people get all self-righteous over graphics card companies - nVidia's marketing shenanigans don't affect the quality of their products. I can guarantee you that if their products themselves were more attractive people wouldn't care about the other stuff because really, who would buy an inferior graphics card out of of some misguided sense of moral responsibility?

No! No way. I am only interested about my investment. I only care about my wallet. I will never buy an inferior product just because of things behind scenes or because its *poor* AMD. They are a comany that runs a business and not some kind of homeless person that needs help.

I do not have a problem with AMD trying to help devs.

I am just apprehensive that it could be the first shot from the green corner in the ongoing vendorid lockout war.

There isn't a vendor-id lockout war. There's just Nvidia using vendor-id lockouts to the detriment of the whole PC gaming eco-system. The PC gaming world only works with co-operation and interoperability. As soon as one company throws that away for a competitive advantage, you very quickly get into the realms of the others playing by the same dirty rules, and then - ooops, there goes PC gaming.

Funny how Nvidia scream the loudest about not being allowed into other people's tech, but are the ones that use vendor-id to lock out their competitors. I'm certainly not going to be spending my money with them or recommending them when there are better products, at better prices from companies that want to keep the PC gaming market alive, instead of splintering it off into pieces in the hope they can grab a bigger piece of the pie for themselves.

There isn't a vendor-id lockout war. There's just Nvidia using vendor-id lockouts to the detriment of the whole PC gaming eco-system. The PC gaming world only works with co-operation and interoperability. As soon as one company throws that away for a competitive advantage, you very quickly get into the realms of the others playing by the same dirty rules, and then - ooops, there goes PC gaming.

Rephrase.

I am just apprehensive that it could be the first shot from the green corner which could ignite a take-no-prisoners vendorid lockout war.

Rephrase.

I am just apprehensive that it could be the first shot from the green corner which could ignite a take-no-prisoners vendorid lockout war.

No, if you read what the library is about, it's nothing like that. As stated above, it's just a way to easily expose ATI tech that is outside of DX11.

Seconds shots (Nvidia have already had the first shots) would be actual vendor-id lockouts happening from AMD instead of just Nvidia. You'd probably start to see hardware restrictions from AMD just as we've seen from Nvidia whenever a competitor's hardware is involved. Nvidia must be desperate or full of hubris to go down this route given that if AMD responds in kind, they have motherboard chipsets and CPU's to throw into the mix too.

Thx! Well said. The average consumer will buy Nvidia next time if he has a problem with one or more games on AMD hardware and vice versa of course. So if i discover that my AMD hardware does not work so nice with certain games compared to the Nvidia based card my friend has i will buy Nvidia next time - plain and simple. So AMD has to step up here.

Will they? The average uninformed GPU buyer will probably place the blame on the developer first and foremost. So if say X developer releases a game which doesn't work properly on AMD hardware typically it is going to be X developers fault and not AMD. Thing is, the uninformed outnumber the informed by likely a factor of 10:1.

Will they? The average uninformed GPU buyer will probably place the blame on the developer first and foremost. So if say X developer releases a game which doesn't work properly on AMD hardware typically it is going to be X developers fault and not AMD. Thing is, the uninformed outnumber the informed by likely a factor of 10:1.

Yes, but the uninformed mostly don't buy graphics cards, but whole OEM systems. Among people who do buy graphics cards, how many are informed?

Yes, but the uninformed mostly don't buy graphics cards, but whole OEM systems. Among people who do buy graphics cards, how many are informed?

That really depends on what your definition of informed means. If im playing X game myself and it crashes on me given the fact that I don't have an Nvidia point of referrence how am I to tell that the crash was caused by some interaction with ATI hardware/driver stack and the game in question rather than simply a bug or poor coding or random chance? Someone who doesn't participate in online discussions or read online blogs is unlikely to know the difference. This doesn't mean they don't participate in the gaming market. We certainly don't see even 1/4 of the enthusiast class and higher GPU users participating or even lurking on various forums and news sites which might break such news.

Also given the preponderence of over specced PSUs, huge cases with 'massive airflow', enthusiast class motherboards, fancy CPU coolers, hearsay and otherwise preconcieved ideas I wouldn't say the average participant on forums is informed significantly well either.

If they are silent then that is ok. I have gotten fancy ones for that purpose (including a low profile one when I was underclocking :) )

Just get a really really long HDMI cable. Its cheaper than buying a better CPU fan for noise! :p

If they are silent then that is ok. I have gotten fancy ones for that purpose (including a low profile one when I was underclocking :) )

Same here.

Just get a really really long HDMI cable. Its cheaper than buying a better CPU fan for noise! :p

And a really really long PS2 cable for the keyboard, really really long audio cables for the speakers, game controllers, etc. Not very practical!

And a really really long PS2 cable for the keyboard, really really long audio cables for the speakers, game controllers, etc. Not very practical!

But at least you won't hear your computer!!!! :LOL:

Have you seen those ethernet -->HDMI plates. Pretty snazzy.

I was thinking about putting HDMI-> ethernet in my next house considering im wiring everything for Cat 5e. Too bad there aren't any TVs which support it natively yet.

back on topic (sort of)
came across a quote today thanks to swayee from when the powervr 3dx was released
NEC recently announced it has a $25million war chest to spend on making sure developers got the powervr message

Back