Critical PS3 internal clock error and its aftermath

can i still play blurays ? I don't actually have anything worth anything on the system. I just want to play my blurays ?

Might just go buy a bluray player

Is this likely to "fix itself"? Or will the user in all situations have to update their firmware offline? If so, what a cock-up! Some poor coder is probably shaking his head in despair right now.

PS3 has never required you to be signed on to PSN to download FW updates.

The only thing required is an internet connection. You don't have to have signed up for PSN or anything. Same for getting patches for games. Even when you are signed out of PSN as long as you are plugged in, you will DL patches for games when available.

If it's a hardware issue like we are led to believe, then it won't be an easy fix. Sony is going to have to find a way to create a firware update so it can attack the system clock. If it takes a long time, I expect them to compensate. I really don't want to say this, but the worst case would be a recall. I don't know if Sony is financially able to do that, and I seriously hope to god they don't go bankrupt over this.

If it's a hardware issue like we are led to believe, then it won't be an easy fix. Sony is going to have to find a way to create a firware update so it can attack the system clock. If it takes a long time, I expect them to compensate. I really don't want to say this, but the worst case would be a recall. I don't know if Sony is financially able to do that, and I seriously hope to god they don't go bankrupt over this.

If it is a hardware issue, then what will Sony do for those that own BC capable systems?

Hopefully it will be a simple fix.

Why is mine still working fine? 60GB EU model. :???:

Date is 1st March 2010 and I have no trouble with the PSN.

But mine is a CECHC.

EDIT: My wife forgot to turn it off last night, so it spent all night running PlayTV, so it passed midnight whilst on.

Can these PS3 still go online (web browser, update function?).

If yes, then the fix shouldn't be too hard to apply. If not, then Sony folks have a costly issue on hands. They'll have to deal with the warranty returns of many consoles and the setup cost for a mail-in distribution of a disc-based firmware update.

Well, one good thing I suppose is that it will stop that GeoHot hack from working on the majority of pre-slim PS3s. ;)

Well, one good thing I suppose is that it will stop that GeoHot hack from working on the majority of pre-slim PS3s. ;)

That's some clever engineering on Sony's side. Make the bug kick-in right before the system is hacked ;)

I just checked the PS3 we have at work and the date was wrong, have to check mine when I get home. I've been playing Killzone 2 online for the last days and am going to be pretty upset if I cannot get my daily fix today.

But mine is a CECHC.

EDIT: My wife forgot to turn it off last night, so it spent all night running PlayTV, so it passed midnight whilst on.

Has your PS3 ever been repaired? Does your PS3 spend very long periods completely powered off (i.e. not in stand by)?

(My CECHL model works ok and can play Heavy Rain.)

I read various reports by other PS3 owners that their CECHC and CECHL are also affected. Odd.

If yes, then the fix shouldn't be too hard to apply. If not, then Sony folks have a costly issue on hands. They'll have to deal with the warranty returns of many consoles and the setup cost for a mail-in distribution of a disc-based firmware update.
I just tried accessing a web page through browser...& Yes I can open them
So its a good thing :)

I read various reports by other PS3 owners that their CECHC and CECHL are also affected. Odd.

Mine is a CECHLtoo (Yakuza limited edition CECHL00) I am afraid to turn it on!

I turned it on this morning around 7:30am Mon which is around 10:30pm Sun GMT. And it was working perfectly fine. But if the speculation about it being based on GMT time is correct, I don't want to risk anything.

As far as I remember, you don't need to sign into PSN to do a firmware update via the Internet, so as long as these PS3s can connect to the internet, there should not be a problem.

Has your PS3 ever been repaired? Does your PS3 spend very long periods completely powered off (i.e. not in stand by)?

(My CECHL model works ok and can play Heavy Rain.)

No, never repaired, and I don't think that it's ever been shut off at the back. The only times it has gone totally off is if there was a power cut or the fuse board in the apartment was overloaded. It then tells you off when you repower up for not shutting it down properly.

What I'm wondering: could this bug somehow be used as an entry point for an exploit?

I just tried accessing a web page through browser...& Yes I can open them
So its a good thing :)
Well, if that's indeed the case for everyone, fixing this issue should be trivial. Well, their phone support folks won't have a slow week, but other than that, it's just a matter of testing the fix (never release a "hotfix" that could do more harm than good when you're in a hurry).
What I'm wondering: could this bug somehow be used as an entry point for an exploit?
The bug just breaks the connection with PSN due to calendar synchronisation issues. I don't think it would create any buffer overflow-like situations.

Back