*God Of War 3 Thread v2.0 + Interview Stig Asmussen

didn't really feel like re-reading to provide the quote....

in regards to the difficulty of the game-I appreciate the fact that "easy" (whatever its called in game) is actually easy. As i have played games since Intellivision was out but have never really been an expert game player, I like the fact that I too can enjoy the feeling of finishing a game :D i have gow 1+2 and still haven't completed those and i almost didnt buy this one due to that fact--glad i gave in

Blocking, evading, and only using quick 1-2 hit jabs seems to be the way to go in harder difficulties, but then you're denied the eye candy of watching beautiful combos. I care about story and presentation more, and I don't have the patience to retry many times or wear down a boss with quick attacks, so I beat it on normal.

A game might have the best combat mechanic, but unless I can get into the game's atmosphere and like the main character, I won't play it. That's why I didn't even finish the demos of DMC4, NGS, NGS2 and Bayonetta. Especially with DMC4 and Bayonetta I was thinking "WTF is this, who is this guy?, why do I have stupid guns on my heels and who are these mythical creatures I am fighting in the midst of a modern setting?" all the way through, I hated it. I understand that someone else can have the same negative feelings towards Kratos, but I like his badassery.

On the other hand, I beat and enjoyed Conan and Wolverine, which many people would rate as inferior, as well as all installments of GOW. It's not just about being a "western" gamer either since I really enjoyed the Yakuza 3 demo and beat it, as well as other other Japanese dev games such as Ace Combat.

... On the other hand, I beat and enjoyed Conan and Wolverine, which many people would rate as inferior, as well as all installments of GOW...

I really enjoyed Conan (apart from fighting the giant sand lizard thing!), and Wolverine was OK. Then again I really enjoyed Heavenly Sword and Viking: Battle for Asgard...

About the ending.
My god is it crap. This is what you get when the first game is a self contained story, yet you want to make sequels to it. It breaks the story lines with things that don't make sense within the context of the first game. What the hell is Athena suppose be, and why is she even here? Why go back to Kratos' memories of killing his wife and child when the first game does exactly that. Only ten times better without useless nonsense like "Hope", and you have to forgive yourself. :rolleyes: The first game starts out with Kratos killing himself because he can't forgive himself. Revenge was his only motivation to keep on living. He was always going to die in the end, yet now we're supposed believe he's still alive. Lets not drag this thing down any further.

^I mostly agree. I was actually pretty damn surprised when I found out that
Sony Santa Monica did not come up with the contrived "Hope" plot device by themselves. It really is a part of Greek mythology.

:oops: That is a surprise.
Though the interpretation of "Hope" is apparently still under debate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elpis

In Greek mythology, Elpis(Ancient Greek: ?????) was the personification of hope (hope was usually seen as an extension to suffering by the Greek, not as a good), perhaps a child of Nyx and mother of Pheme, the goddess of fame, renown and rumor. She was depicted as a young woman, usually carrying flowers or cornucopia in her hands. In Hesiod's Works and Days, Elpis was the last item in Pandora's box (or jar). Based on Hesiod's description, the debate is still alive to determine if Elpis was only hope, or more generally expectation. Her Roman equivalent was Spes.

This interpretation would have fit Kratos like a glove.

I wasn't particularly bothered by the ending since games like GoW2 and CoO have all hinted at Krato's wanting forgiveness from his family.

Fighting my way through Titan.
Just finished the
Scorpion King
...was a rather tough, until I found the right strategy:
you have to hit all his legs in the first phase of the fight. don't concentrate on one side, but try to make all legs red....as phase 1 is much easier than phase 2...

Jesus christ! How many times do I have to press O at the end of the game?

Its been 5 minutes and i wonder if my PS3 got stuck or something.

By the time I am writing this it is paused and it is waiting for me to continue pressing O (assuming there isn anything wrong)

Jesus christ! How many times do I have to press O at the end of the game?

Its been 5 minutes and i wonder if my PS3 got stuck or something.

By the time I am writing this it is paused and it is waiting for me to continue pressing O (assuming there isn anything wrong)

whenever you get it all out of your system...just stop. I guess it's your opportunity to "vent" on Zeus

What the f****

Titan was rather easy..until I reached
the Zeus fight in Gaia....I have full energy, but my Magic is low and my Rage as well....in Normal mode, this was easy....but now with my gimped stats, I got destroyed yesterday. Maybe I have better luck today ...

I finally beat the game a couple of days ago, after about 11 hours play time, on God. It's probably my inexperience playing games in the genre, but I found the game to be really imbalanced and frustrating in places. I didn't find that the game progressed in difficulty in linear steps (
I got stuck on the Scorpion queen for ages, and also chasing Hermes took me way too many retries, but I killed Zeus at the first attempt!
), and that was my biggest problem with it.

Otherwise, it's the best single player game I've played in about a decade, on consoles. The scale of the some of the set pieces, the graphics (easily some of the prettiest real-time pixels I've ever seen), the simple and extremely gratifying combat system, the audio (it's the first game I've played in ages where I was keen on seeking out the soundtrack)....it all gelled very nicely for me and it was clear SSM spent a lot of time pulling it all together.

I was totally bought in to the brutality of the things that Kratos does, personally. After spending some time with the mythology in my own time before and during playing it, and reading about the first two games, I buy into why he's so full of rage that he just doesn't give any kind of shit about those he effectively tortures for his own gratification. None of the imagery or actions bothered me in the slightest.

The sex interlude was just a waste of time for me (even if I was a teenager, I don't think I'd have enjoyed it). I got more out of the motion capture video that featured the actors and Sony's tech, which was a giggle.

Usually when I play a game to completion, I usually remember only one or two set pieces the game served up, plus the overall feeling of playing it. With GoW3 I take literally dozens of moments and memories, it was that well done. Loved it overall, what a game. Now to play the first two :D

Hm...finally beat Titan mode!
It seems to me that Titan mode is identical to Normal mode in GOW 1+2 with respect to difficulty.
Normal mode in GOW3 is very easy compared to GOW1+2 normal...

Hm...finally beat Titan mode!
It seems to me that Titan mode is identical to Normal mode in GOW 1+2 with respect to difficulty.
Normal mode in GOW3 is very easy compared to GOW1+2 normal...

I thought so as well. Even the dreaded Cerberus Breeder in GOWIII pales in comparison to his dog brethren of the earlier games (which had the ability to multiply, and did so quite rapidly if you were careless) The first 2 games also had quite a few sections where you were on a timer with instant death waiting at the end. Much tougher bosses as well. Ares wasn't called the God of War for nothing apparently.
I actually beat the first game on the highest difficulty. Left a big scar on my psyche. Winning the final battle took me more than 5 hours iirc.

The third time I watched the credits after beating the game...I recognized that some B3D people (no not Christer Ericson...this is obvious :)) got mentioned!!!!

I remember Dean Ashton being mentioned in the credits and Tobias Berghoff (T.B.)!

I wonder what these guys helped (maybe T.B. doing some SPU-AA-Ninja stuff?!)

Nevertheless...whatever you guys did: great job :mrgreen:

Last edited by a moderator:
So how's the titan mode for everyone? Would you say it's more fun or frustrating than the God mode since I heard many nasty stories about the
Cerberus breeder fight
later on. I really wanna man up and challenge myself but without breaking my dual shock3 at the same time.

Back