European Console Sales 2010

liolio

Aquoiboniste
Legend
Ms just stated at CES 2010 that they sold 39 millions units world wide, I guess one could know how many units have been sold in europe.
There are 1.2 million 360s in Japan, there are xxx millions 360s in US, around 10% of that figure in Canada ;)
I just miss the US life to dates figures.

EDIT Actually some figures for Australia may help too.

ModEdit: 2009 Thread for reference: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=51535

Ms just stated at CES 2010 that they sold 39 millions units world wide, I guess one could know how many units have been sold in europe.
There are 1.2 million 360s in Japan, there are xxx millions 360s in US, around 10% of that figure in Canada ;)

No point, theres also the far east outside Japan (Taiwan, South Korea etc), Mexico, Maybe some South America, Russia, Middle East, New Zealand, and whatever small markets I'm forgetting, to consider.

Then "around 10% in Canada" is too inaccurate.

And finally, the 39 million is a shipped to retail, here's no way to know exactly how many are in the channel and how many sold. It all adds up that you could only get an extremely rough estimate for Europe.

I haven't been keeping up with my sales figures super closely or I could probably give an Europe estimate off the top of my head that would be just as accurate :smile:

If you just want a rough estimate, then yeah you could do it as you say. Just keep in mind all the caveats.

I don´t think it´s worth the effort. MS numbers are probably the number of units sold to retail, while NPD, VGChartz and others usually present sell through numbers. There is a lot of uncertainty about how large stocks shops have left from the holiday period.

Some shops I have visited after the christams period have shown huge differences in supply of different console brands, but I know anecdotal evidence is pretty worthless. Still it´s an indication of that there may be a big difference between sell through and sold to retail figures, so you should not really mix them.

Edit- Rangers beat me. :)

39 million seems about right, it means they shipped roughly the same in the final quarter as they did last year ~6million

http://www.edge-online.com/news/uk-ps3-sales-top-three-million

UK PS3 sales surpassed 3m units, +800k since 27 Jun 2009

The PS3 passed the 2 million milstone last March, that means the installed base has increased 50% in less than one year, that is pretty impressive. Especially when considering the UK has been one of the weakest market of the PS3 in Europe.

I think the PS3 may very well have sold above expectations in Europe this holiday, that is just a feeling I get partly from shop and chart observations and partly because the 120 GB unit has been removed from amazon.co.uk since before christmas and only the more costlier 250 GB unit is offered with a number of different bundles. The 120 GB can still be found elsewhere, but I doubt anyone sells the the quantities amazon would have sold. Sony may have hit their sales target with a particular subsidies budget and are instead pushing the 250 GB unit which has less subsidies until the cost reductions have caught up a bit.

I think the PS3 has a strong year coming up in Europe. FFXIII, GOWIII and GT5 will definitely attract new buyers. I know at least one guy who will buy a PS3 once GT5 is released and I doubt he is alone. There are a lot of racing fans in Europe and it is very obvious that GT5 is geared to satisfy them with all the European city tracks and the inclusion of the WRC license. With all the announced features and the huge car collection it will be an epic title no doubts about that.

If Sony is able to cut the price once more this fall I think they will probably sell similar numbers or better next (financial) year as well.

looks like the wii isnt number one everywhere worldwide :)
http://spillforeningen.no/nyheter/nyheter.asp

norway ps3 > wii, well norwegians are rich

Im assuming here in nz, the xbox360 is the most sold console (I believe the only country where it is so), nintendo arent to big here (though the wii has started to sell in the last 6 months)
so this would take the worldwide counts to roughly

wii - 138
xb360 - 1
ps3 - 1

looks like the wii isnt number one everywhere worldwide :)
http://spillforeningen.no/nyheter/nyheter.asp

norway ps3 > wii, well norwegians are rich

Im assuming here in nz, the xbox360 is the most sold console (I believe the only country where it is so), nintendo arent to big here (though the wii has started to sell in the last 6 months)
so this would take the worldwide counts to roughly

wii - 138
xb360 - 1
ps3 - 1

In Finland it's PS3>360>Wii and PS2 still generates about the same amount of revenue as the Wii and actually still sells more software units than any other platform...

In Finland it's PS3>360>Wii and PS2 still generates about the same amount of revenue as the Wii and actually still sells more software units than any other platform...

Though I imagine that when Alan Wake comes out 360 sales will skyrocket.

I can't understand the excitement about Alan Wake ;) Pretty much a standard survival horror type game, the added gameplay mechanics with the lights aren't that cool IMHO. And Remedy's a good developer but they never really had a massive hit... Then again, we'll see.

Though I imagine that when Alan Wake comes out 360 sales will skyrocket.

I'm personally not sure whether Alan Wake will or won't sell well. I have a feeling it may turn out to be one of X360's underappreciated titles, similar to how expections were higher for certain titles on PS3 than actual reality.

In other words, expections on forums for Alan Wake may be higher than mass consumer demand.

Regards,
SB

No, I mean I'm counting on Finn patriotism.

Although the Finns seem to prefer PlayStation and PC platforms, as evidenced here: http://wwvgsales.blogspot.com/

Finland 2009

Total Software Units: 2,088,000 (2008: 2,326,000)

PS2: 25.2% (526,176)
PC: 20.9% (436,392)
PS3: 19.8% (413,424)
360: 13.8% (288,144)
WII: 11.8% (246,384)
NDS: 6.6% (137,808)
PSP: 1.9% (39,672)

Total Software Value: €75.4M (2008: €86.5M)

PS3: 27.1% (€20,433,400)
360: 18.6% (€14,024,400)
WII: 16.9% (€12,742,600)
PS2: 16.0% (€12,064,000)
PC: 13.7% (€10,329,800)
NDS: 6.2% (€4,674,800)
PSP: 1.5% (€1,131,000)

Next you guys will be telling me that Finns install anti-viruses other than F-Secure.

=D

Well, I'm a Finn, and I use Comodo Internet Security, and have a Sony Ericsson W980 instead of Nokia cellphone (I prefer SE's operating system, and their clamshell models are more pleasing to my eyes). Although I have an old Nokia digital recorder, but it was given to me by my parents when they bought a Topfield. I usually never buy Finnish products, excluding food and some underwear. =)

Back