Technological discussion on PS3 security and crack.*

It's more of a win for pirates and not homebrew if I understand it correctly unless they can somehow enable PS2 playback on no-BC PS3 consoles.

I'm still waiting for a good XBMC-type app for PS3, although Showtime is pretty good.

It's more of a win for pirates and not homebrew if I understand it correctly unless they can somehow enable PS2 playback on no-BC PS3 consoles.

I'm still waiting for a good XBMC-type app for PS3, although Showtime is pretty good.

I was too, for some time, until I realized it wasn't beneficial to have a mediaplayer software on it due to the heat and noise the PS3 creates. It's just much cheaper to have a small PC (Atom/ION chipset) with XBMC on it...

Sony had a lot of potential to make a very sleek mediaplayer out of the PS3 with its bruteforce power, but it doesn't seem like they were interested.

As for the news: Are PS3 being pirated or did Sony pretty much seal up the leaks it had since PSN was hacked? Of course, I'm sure older games could be pirated - but since the update, that chance has been pretty much minimized, right?

no body really know the real numbers until PS3 software just stop selling completely I think. We will see how this goes, and if PS3 is launching in early 13 or so, I think it won't suffer for far too long. Vita however need to keep piracy away as long as the PS3 had at least.

no body really know the real numbers until PS3 software just stop selling completely I think. We will see how this goes, and if PS3 is launching in early 13 or so, I think it won't suffer for far too long. Vita however need to keep piracy away as long as the PS3 had at least.

It wont be that bad, 360 has been besaught by piracy for ages and has managed to at least minimize it.

Unless there is something extra easy about piracy on PS3 I wouldn't know about or something.

Seems to me like piracy is somewhat containable on consoles. It's a cat and mouse game but eventually you make it difficult enough only the truly dedicated can be arsed. The other hedge of course is online.

With the metldr exploit all (current) PS3's can run unsigned code on any firmware. Sony's software engineers must be quite anxious now, this isn't something that can be patched.

CFW 3.72+ can be expected shortly, along with large-scale piracy and (more) game hackers.

reading at some forums, ppl seems to have calm down and think its not really as big of a deal, exploit being shown, but no one has the hardware that Math used and he was pissed that he said he won't share anything with anyone anymore because this exploit was never meant to be shown publicly. And his new msg

http://s1-02.twitpicproxy.com/photos/large/446806616.jpg

"By the way, I won’t be posting keys, I won’t be posting dumps and I won’t be saying how it was done, time to work gentlemen."

The LV0 key should mean the platform is wide open. Hackers can decrypt and reverse-engineer official FWs, and challenge any security measures. A PS3 won't be able to tell if the firmware is official or not as, AFAIK, the only proof of officialness was the LV0 encryption.

If that's the case then damn! Good and bad at the same, I think I will check out some homebrew this time around (missed 3.55 window) :)

The LV0 key should mean the platform is wide open. Hackers can decrypt and reverse-engineer official FWs, and challenge any security measures. A PS3 won't be able to tell if the firmware is official or not as, AFAIK, the only proof of officialness was the LV0 encryption.
Yes decrypting is possible, but you still need private keys to sign a firmware and the only known is still the old one for 3.55 since Sony fixed their "epic fail" which made it possible to calculate it.
Without newer private keys you still can't install a CFW on PS3s with a higher version than 3.55.
All this new development does is, those still on 3.55 can now install a CFW much higher and play current games but that was already possible for most games even before the LV0 leak. Maybe it helps to find new exploits but for now that's it.

Yes decrypting is possible, but you still need private keys to sign a firmware and the only known is still the old one for 3.55 since Sony fixed their "epic fail" which made it possible to calculate it.
Without newer private keys you still can't install a CFW on PS3s with a higher version than 3.55.
All this new development does is, those still on 3.55 can now install a CFW much higher and play current games but that was already possible for most games even before the LV0 leak. Maybe it helps to find new exploits but for now that's it.

This is what I understood as well. Plus that for a brief period, PSN is available to the hacked boxes.

also, for the pass year from the initial hack until now, many online games released in between especially all 1st party ones comes with online pass. Ppl have to think twice before they use hacks or cheats online. I heard hacked consoles can hide their console id, but this allow the publisher to band the online pass key instead of the system or ip. So cheaters will have to pay again if they get banned and want to play online. But Black Ops 2 doesn't have online pass like previous cod games I think.........

edit: just out of curiousity, is it possible to have new l0 keys for the new super slim model?

also, for the pass year from the initial hack until now, many online games released in between especially all 1st party ones comes with online pass. Ppl have to think twice before they use hacks or cheats online. I heard hacked consoles can hide their console id, but this allow the publisher to band the online pass key instead of the system or ip. So cheaters will have to pay again if they get banned and want to play online. But Black Ops 2 doesn't have online pass like previous cod games I think.........

edit: just out of curiousity, is it possible to have new l0 keys for the new super slim model?
Sure you can have a new key for the slims, you`d need separate firmware updates then. But I think its too late of that, lv0 is burned into the CPU I think?

Back