Pixellation on the PS3

fearsomepirate

Dinosaur Hunter
Veteran
Weirdly, sometimes textures on the PS3 look pre-Voodoo era, where the bilinear filtering is apparently broken. Does anyone know about this glitch? I just defeated the big disgusting air polluter in the hydroponics lab, and if you run up to him, the floor is all pixelated. A more famous example is in Bioshock on the first dead Big Daddy (and yes, that is in the final version of the game):
http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=26619695

What's the deal?

Uh...is the deal that you like trolling or did you neglect to read the entire thread you linked to?
Sometimes the PS3 will have lower res textures than the same game on 360 (CoD4 for instance) owing to it having less memory for a given scene. Other times it will have more detail if there are fewer textures because it has a blu-ray drive that can hold more. More importantly, that thread says on the last page that pic was from the demo.

I can't check as I only have the 360 version.

Weirdly, sometimes textures on the PS3 look pre-Voodoo era, where the bilinear filtering is apparently broken. Does anyone know about this glitch? I just defeated the big disgusting air polluter in the hydroponics lab, and if you run up to him, the floor is all pixelated. A more famous example is in Bioshock on the first dead Big Daddy (and yes, that is in the final version of the game):
http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=26619695

What's the deal?

:???: They are simple glitches ...

Big Daddy was indeed patched a while back.

Random glitch with some software is the only answer. I can't say I've ran or heard of any of the sort aside from Bioshock pre-patch like the link you provided.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I think a few parts of Bioshock weren't fixed with the patch. They seemingly just addressed the most obvious glitch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mize said:
Sometimes the PS3 will have lower res textures than the same game on 360
Do you know the difference between resolution and pixelation?
I think the Big Daddy thing was patched out.
I first noticed it when I was playing Bioshock, the full version, not the demo. I don't have the hardware to take screenshots from my TV, which is why I found the picture online. I have seen it now in 2 of the three PS3 games I own, which is why I'm wondering if there's something due to the RSX that makes this mistake easy to make.

Do you know the difference between resolution and pixelation?

I sure do. Do you really think the difference between that texture on the PS3 and 360 is broken bilinear? Hork. Broken bilinear would exaggerate boundaries between mipmaps, not assign a pixelated one.

[edit] if anything that glitch is assigning the wrong LOD

LOL. Google "pixelated ps3 textures" and you get two pages of Bioshock and this thread. Sure happens alot!!

The OP is right, bug or not the big daddy should not look pixelated like that, texture filtering should make it blurry.

The OP is right, bug or not the big daddy should not look pixelated like that, texture filtering should make it blurry.

When the cause is a software glitch, it will look like that of course but naturally it's not the developer's intention to have a pixelated mess for a look. It's been patched a long time ago, and furthermore, you should have a quick read on what bilinear filtering does:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bilinear_filtering

Have a look at the bottom of the page as well for other types of filtering that are used and what they do (they do not make textures look blurry unless textures are low res and/or other filters are in the works).

Not sure what kind of filtering 2K used for the game.

you should have a quick read on what bilinear filtering does:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bilinear_filtering

Have a look at the bottom of the page as well for other types of filtering that are used and what they do (they do not make textures look blurry unless textures are low res and/or other filters are in the works).

Not sure what kind of filtering 2K used for the game.

Maybe you should read the link?????

Even the first image on the page backs up what I said!

and maybe you should read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texture_filtering

Maybe you should read the link?????

Even the first image on the page backs up what I said!

and maybe you should read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texture_filtering

Great, ego issues. So you basically said that despite a software bug that potentially nullifies filtering, there shouldn't be any pixelization and added that filtering makes textures blurry. Neither of which is true, so upon pointing that out, you're getting defensive instead of elaborating your point if I'm misunderstanding you?

A texture will only look blurry if it's low res if it's filtered (such as the example on that page) and even then, it'll depend on other factors such as the quality of the filtering (bilinear vs anisotropic for example) and so forth. If filtering made textures blurry regardless of resolution, then we'd have problems.

Leave ego issues out of here. If anyone misinterprets what you said because your post wasn't thorough or clear, elaborate instead of getting defensive as if you're being called an idiot.

I sure do. Do you really think the difference between that texture on the PS3 and 360 is broken bilinear? Hork. Broken bilinear would exaggerate boundaries between mipmaps, not assign a pixelated one.

[edit] if anything that glitch is assigning the wrong LOD

Totally and utterly wrong. Those images clearly shows the difference between bilinear filtering and point sampling. Bilinear filtering has nothing to do with filtering between mipmaps, its only about filtering between texels within a mipmap. Bilinear has, by definition, no filtering between mipmaps. And wrong LOD would only affect the sharpness of the texture, not in any way the filtering.

Totally and utterly wrong. Those images clearly shows the difference between bilinear filtering and point sampling. Bilinear filtering has nothing to do with filtering between mipmaps, its only about filtering between texels within a mipmap. Bilinear has, by definition, no filtering between mipmaps. And wrong LOD would only affect the sharpness of the texture, not in any way the filtering.

I concede I'm wrong on the blurring between mipmaps - that would be trilinear - but are you saying applying a much lower LOD to a texture cannot results in pixelation? You are further saying that the texture reference in this thread on the PS3 would look like the one on the 360 if it were filtered bilinearly? Amazing that a filter can add so much information to a data set!

Applying a lower LOD texture doesn't result in point sampling. Point sampling results in point sampling.

The issue the OP talks about is about is caused by bilinear filtering being "switched off", not by lower resolution textures.

Filtering (bilinear or otherwise) makes any texture look blurry if you get close enough. Most textures today are high-res enough that you rarely get close enough to see them blur. Pixellation is caused by point sampling, not by under-resolution. In this picture, both images use the same textures; one half uses bilinear filtering and the other does not.
bilinearvssoftware.jpg

The PS3 glitch I have seen twice now looks like the top right, not the bottom left. The other game I've seen it in is Dead Space (it's on the floor at the end of the Leviathan boss chamber). That prompted me to post the thread, because I have now seen it in 2 out of 3 games that I own. If I see anything in Fear 2, I'll post in the thread.

The reason I'm wondering about it is that I haven't seen pixelation in games since the 90s. Hence, I thought maybe someone with some programming experience could explain why this is an easy mistake to make.

Back