Fusion die-shot - 2009 Analyst Day

That's nowhere impressive considering 32nm HKMG and SOI above that.
480Flops is simply just 480SP (that was supposed Llano will feature) x 500MHz on RV770/Evergreen 5D architecture. If it would be 770GFlops it would be far more reasonable considering advanced processing node and time frame when it will be released.
In comparison Redwood @775MHz aka. HD5670 has 620GFlops peak and it's bulk 40nm TSMC carry own memory and pwm has max TDP of 64W. So i'd bet that 30W for 800MHz Llano wouldn't be something unreachable

500 Gigaflops not impressive? 4 years ago those 500 Gigaflops where selling for 400$ and 200 W of TDP .. now they are packed in a CPU!
With this pace, a late 2013 APU may have a GPU with performance close to Cypress :oops:

Biggest problem will be BW. 4Gbps DDR4 is set by 2015. And this would be still low ~64GB/s on a DC-IMC.

They might have to go to on-package GDDR5/6 or on-die T-RAM (512MiB ~ 60mm² @22nm).

Biggest problem will be BW. 4Gbps DDR4 is set by 2015. And this would be still low ~64GB/s on a DC-IMC.

They might have to go to on-package GDDR5/6 or on-die T-RAM (512MiB ~ 60mm² @22nm).

Being too fast will eat into low to mid end discrete graphics card sales. Why would AMD want to do that?

AnarchX talks about 2015. That's 5-years far future. Today, integrated GPUs performs like 5-years old high-end (X800/6800) and it definitely doesn't hurt sales of mainstream GPUs. Should we expect it will become a problem in future? ;)

I wonder if Ontario could / would revitalise the small form-factor netbooks. Im sure AMD won't put such stringent requirements for laptops/netbooks which incorporate the technology. Perhaps we might see laptops with decent 3D/video playback capabilities for $400 USD? Or maybe netbooks with decent resolution screens and performance with still good battery life for the same?

AnarchX talks about 2015. That's 5-years far future. Today, integrated GPUs performs like 5-years old high-end (X800/6800) and it definitely doesn't hurt sales of mainstream GPUs. Should we expect it will become a problem in future? ;)
Heh, not even that, a 9700Pro still easily beats a 785G Chipset on everything I tried (got a big family so my old stuff will apparently live on forever :smile:).
The memory-bandwidth just isnt there and it has to be shared with the CPU. I dont see that changing anytime soon, Fusion will enable additional options for problems that are light on bandwidth but heavy on (parallel) computation. Im still not convinced it will be a threat to even low-end discrete Cards when it comes to bandwidth intense stuff like pushing lots of textures.

Well, 785G is product of last-year's summer, not 2010 (I consider fusion to represent 2010's integrated GPUs).

Anyway, did you try to compare performance in Bioshock 2, Clive Barker's Jericho and COD 4? :smile:

Well, 785G is product of last-year's summer, not 2010 (I consider fusion to represent 2010's integrated GPUs).

Anyway, did you try to compare performance in Bioshock 2, Clive Barker's Jericho and COD 4? :smile:

You include 8-series as 2009 too I assume?
Since 785G, despite it's name, is 8-series chipset (RS880)

The only thing newer are Intels i3/i5 IGPs which seem to have similar performance, Fusion isnt out yet and noone ran benchmarks I would use for comparisons.
No, since I dont own any of those games. Even if, I wouldnt install them on someone else machine just for testing, let alone that the machine holding the 9700Pro has an AthlonXP which likely couldnt run those games at all as it lacks SSE2.
Since 785G cant run anything at more than 1024x768 with pretty plain texturing, while a 9700Pro can go to 1280x1024 easily I dont think it would be different. and thats not even counting some lowend current cards which have all architectural improvements of the IGP and more bandwidth than CPU&GPU combined.

790GX is quite a bit older and faster than 785G.. (and both a good deal faster if with sideport memory)

You include 8-series as 2009 too I assume?
Since 785G, despite it's name, is 8-series chipset (RS880)
785G is a tweaked/renamed 7-series northbridge, its nearest brother is RV710...

It's as much of an 8-series GPU as 690G was a 6-series GPU.

They're quite good as long as we use "quite heavy" shaders, but bad at legacy, pre-DX9, game engines.

785G is a tweaked/renamed 7-series northbridge, its nearest brother is RV710...

It's as much of an 8-series GPU as 690G was a 6-series GPU.

They're quite good as long as we use "quite heavy" shaders, but bad at legacy, pre-DX9, game engines.

You got more details on that?
Since I find it quite strange that RS880 would be "tweaked/renamed 7-series NB" while RS880P, RS880M and RS880D are "real 8 series NBs"

has an AthlonXP which likely couldnt run those games at all as it lacks SSE2.

It'd run slower but lack of SSE2 won't prevent it from running the games.

790GX is quite a bit older and faster than 785G.. (and both a good deal faster if with sideport memory)

Not true. Sideport is there for other reasons. http://www.anandtech.com/show/2640/3

for reference, the last nVidia MCP (320M) on Windows, very impressive performance even with the limited bandwidth (and the extra hop through FSB with the CPU)

This is often quoted, but since the 320M is paired with the Core 2 not the Core i7 there's nothing much going through the FSB related to graphics. The memory controller on the 320M is right next to the GPU since they are both on the same chip.

You got more details on that?
Since I find it quite strange that RS880 would be "tweaked/renamed 7-series NB" while RS880P, RS880M and RS880D are "real 8 series NBs"

700 to 800 series is mainly a southbridge shift (SB7x0 to SB8x0).

Perhaps there have been some revisions of the "northbridges" (IGP/PCI-E controller) for latency or power tweaking, but nothing major and everything has much to do with the original 700 series (precisely, 780G for all IGP variants and 770/790FX for 870/890FX).

It'd run slower but lack of SSE2 won't prevent it from running the games.
Many games require SSE2, I dont know for sure if Bioshock 2 is one of them, but since the min requirements are Athlon64 or Pentium4 it would seem that way.

@Tchock: IGPs seem to totally tank if you raise the resolution up a notch or 2 from the ones you linked.

Last edited by a moderator:
01.jpg

http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/column/kaigai/20101104_404182.html?ref=rss

Back