Fusion die-shot - 2009 Analyst Day

I don't know whats wrong with that Core i5 but I get constant 60 fps on the 'Amazon Shelf'.

C2D E8400 & 9300 IGP

I don't know whats wrong with that Core i5 but I get constant 60 fps on the 'Amazon Shelf'.

C2D E8400 & 9300 IGP

The graphics chip. Your 9300 IGP is better than the intel's integrated in i5.

With core i5, the whole rendereing is propably done on CPU as the GPU drivers may not support the API's required for the HW acceleration of the application.

How fast could Ontario scale if you threw away the TDP limits of 18W and went with 36 or 45W max TDP as in what a low end desktop has today?

How fast could Ontario scale if you threw away the TDP limits of 18W and went with 36 or 45W max TDP as in what a low end desktop has today?

I would think a 2-2.4 Ghz clock should be easily possible. Though that would encroach on dual core Llano territory so the chances of a high clocked Ontario part are slim. Its the same reason why Intel hasnt released high clocked Atom's for the low end desktop market

I'd be more interested in the 28nm refresh of Ontario, which i suppose we can expect in Q1/Q2 2012. And Atom's 32nm refresh is also expected in Q4 2011

With core i5, the whole rendereing is propably done on CPU as the GPU drivers may not support the API's required for the HW acceleration of the application.
I don't think so - I doubt this is using dx compute, cuda or opencl... Of course, that doesn't mean the gpu has to be fast or the driver optimized for it :).

I don't think so - I doubt this is using dx compute, cuda or opencl... Of course, that doesn't mean the gpu has to be fast or the driver optimized for it :).
Direct2D. And whoops...
Bugzilla said:
D2D/DirectWrite are no longer ON by default for every Intel graphic card
Or was it demonstrated in IE? Maybe it doesn't always work there either. Seems to be somewhat bugridden on Intel graphics at any rate, but more details about the test (browser/drivers) would be needed to tell if it's representative.

Last edited by a moderator:
Direct2D. And whoops...

Or was it demonstrated in IE? Maybe it doesn't always work there either. Seems to be somewhat bugridden on Intel graphics at any rate, but more details about the test (browser/drivers) would be needed to tell if it's representative.
Well that more looks like some bug in an old intel graphics driver and mozilla devs screwing up detection of driver versions (because apparently intel doesn't make it easy to detect versions). I doubt IE is doing the same...

Perhaps half performance?

The test Anand did isn't the benchmark that comes with the game but a FRAPs run through in the demo, so it's not a solid comparison. Oh well.

Perhaps half performance?

The test Anand did isn't the benchmark that comes with the game but a FRAPs run through in the demo, so it's not a solid comparison. Oh well.

It's hard to imagine playing something like Batman on a 10" netbook anyway :).

Ooh, we should be able to compare GPU performance to Cedar. Two games and the N-body test.
Well. Legit tested with i7, not sure how much CPU-dependable Batman is.
But still its
16fps @ 1024x768 high for Zacate (PS: neliz pointed it was not low)
23fps @ 1280x1024 very high for 5450
I guess 64-bit ddr3 for both cpu+gpu is too starving

Last edited by a moderator:
Well. Legit tested with i7, not sure how much CPU-dependable Batman is.
But still its
16fps @ 1024x768 low for Zacate
23fps @ 1280x1024 very high for 5450
I guess 64-bit ddr3 for both cpu+gpu is too starving

Zacate was on high:

Anand said:
We set both machines to 1024 x 768 at high quality settings.

I really didn't expect them to put just a single channel DDR3 controller in there. Though if equipped with DDR3-1333 its almost as good as dual channel DDR2 667 which is what Core 2 Duo and Athlon X2's used for the longest time. Still in this case as there is a GPU as well they really should have gone dual channel, especially since there will be use of LV DDR3 1066.

As for the GPU specs im guessing its half a Cedar after looking at those performance results. Clocks should be 400-500 mhz.

Also with regard to CPU performance, a Core i5 is like three to four times as powerful as Zacate

I really didn't expect them to put just a single channel DDR3 controller in there. Though if equipped with DDR3-1333 its almost as good as dual channel DDR2 667 which is what Core 2 Duo and Athlon X2's used for the longest time. Still in this case as there is a GPU as well they really should have gone dual channel, especially since there will be use of LV DDR3 1066.

Dual channel would have..
1) made motherboards bigger and more expensive
2) maybe made the chip pad limited, increasing the die size a lot

So single-channel memory was the right choice for zacate/ontario.

As for the GPU specs im guessing its half a Cedar after looking at those performance results. Clocks should be 400-500 mhz.

I see no good basis for that guess.

The performance of the GPU may be slightly slower than 5450 because of lower memory bandwidth.

And I would not too put big value on comparing anand's zacate numbers with those legitreviews 5450 numbers, they are quite apples-to-oranges comparison, not even sure if it's running the same timedemo, and they used much more powerful cpu etc.

And I would not too put big value on comparing anand's zacate numbers with those legitreviews 5450 numbers, they are quite apples-to-oranges comparison, not even sure if it's running the same timedemo, and they used much more powerful cpu etc.

That's what's making the Zacate numbers even more impressive, as a whole package it seems extremely powerful for the market it's positioning in. you're talking about comparing an 18W APU against an i7-975 + HD5450 in those numbers. That it's only half the framerate says even more about the CPU part than the GPU part.

Back