Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
But why use SMAA 1Tx on higher spec'd machines if its going to introduce blur? Why not take advantage of the extra performance of the hardware and go with MSAA?

Last edited by a moderator:
But why use SMAA 1Tx on higher spec'd machines if its going to introduce blur? Why not take advantage of the extra performance of the hardware and go with MSAA?

Like I mentioned in the post above it seems there is some sort of film like filter being applied to the game on Pc with high settings. It also appears on the Xone version.
At least that is what DF says in the article.

DF has a difficult job, they have to get the articles out quickly or they won't get the interest needed to justify the page clicks. But unlike game reviews which can be very subjective, they try to base their analysis on objective information. In the rush its not hard to see how mistakes get made from time to time, add in the emotion that surrounds these platforms and you have a volatile combination which leads to the comments you frequently see at the end of their articles.

I appreciate the work they do but I try to read their articles in this context and it helps to set proper expectations. They do decent if thankless work....

I couldn't care less about the scores handed out by EG.

What I find problematic, is either DF's isn't respected enough, despised by devs who make it habit not to respond to DF pre article release or DF doesn't consistently contact devs before the release of an article.

I think some of s@#$ that DF steps in, could be avoided by simply having a conversation with the devs with their findings before publishing. Doing all the updates with devs correcting their previous assumptions does nothing but create mistrust with newly released articles.

Releasing articles early to maximize clicks is hardly a justification for all the backtracking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course it is. Both the early release and the backtracking generate views.

And that will become problematic as time wears on, where people will start to discount the validity of their initial findings created by a habitual practice of releasing and then the correcting erroneous articles.

Whats the point of building a readership around technical analysis, if you are going to undermine it by chasing clicks?

I doubt DF wants to be seen as the VGchartz of technical analysis. Where people suggest reading the older articles and avoid the newly release articles because they tend to have errors.

I've read a few things online, and it seems like Digital Foundry may be wrong about FIFA 15 lacking motion blur on Xbox One. There appears to be a bug that makes it disappear sometimes, if you go to dashboard, quit the game and then reload it the motion blur will work again. I'm going to use the record that thing to see if I can get some gameplay with motion blur later tonight.

Hey, just for saying, but Ryse does NOT look that blurry at all on my Panasonic 50" !!!
Where on hell this screens are taken from?
Or better what percentage of the screen are you zooming in ?!?!

This needs to be removed. Its obviously doctored. The PC low looks better than the PC high? Yeah right. And the Xbox One version does not look blurry.

vaQebw4.png

This needs to be removed. Its obviously doctored.
WTF would DF doctor one image and not the rest? Perhaps there's been a mistake? Perhaps the engine is applying more DOF in some scenes/settings than others? But doctored? Take your conspiracy nonsense elsewhere.

WTF would DF doctor one image and not the rest? Perhaps there's been a mistake? Perhaps the engine is applying more DOF in some scenes/settings than others? But doctored? Take your conspiracy nonsense elsewhere.

Dear Shifty the plot is tightening ... :LOL:

But in any case DF has made a mess with Ryse.

But in any case DF has made a mess with Ryse.
Decidedly unproven. The other screenshots look fine. Could just as readily be a fault with the game at that point. Indeed, that's more likely because all DF has to do is capture the HDMI out.

How do you know its DF and not the high PC settings' method for AA?

It seems odd that the high detail AA would have more blur than the low ones. Who knows. It's such a zoomed in small portion of the screenshot that there is no real context to understand what it might be. A look at the full image might give some hints as to what's going on.

It seems odd that the high detail AA would have more blur than the low ones. Who knows. It's such a zoomed in small portion of the screenshot that there is no real context to understand what it might be. A look at the full image might give some hints as to what's going on.

Not that odd if the low settings has no Post processing AA and no DoF/sparse DoF.

Not that odd if the low settings has no Post processing AA and no DoF/sparse DoF.

I suppose if it has no AA at all on low, it would make sense. That's a pretty blurry AA to be considered high detail. I didn't think their AA on Xbox One was supposed to introduce that much of a blur. The game at 1080p on PC I thought would appear a lot sharper.

The full image is available at source from DF. Right click the thumbnails to copy/paste/download. That worst-case image with the blurry head isn't indicative of the rest of the captures, and the blur is universal to that image.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back