Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL commentary was added to feed the flames. Why would blizzard add more than what is already on the PC edition?

Why they still didn't test the multiplayer in Diablo 3? Didn't they postpone their article to have more time with the game, but only to show basically what they had already shown in the first article: a short 3mn single player performance video?

Sounds like frame drops on Xbox One are rare as very small. It's an interesting spot to sit. Is a drop in resolution worth constant 60fps in this case?

Sounds like frame drops on Xbox One are rare as very small. It's an interesting spot to sit. Is a drop in resolution worth constant 60fps in this case?

Well, you should watch their video then. There are some "rare" drops yes but also whole rather long areas that are hovering at ~55fps on XB1. They even acknowledge it on the article:

prolonged stretches of 50-60fps play possible on Xbox One

I'm not sure they tested the framedrops fully enough from the sounds of it. The original framerate target factored in things getting busy with four Witch Doctors in multiplayer. It'd be worth testing that to see if the framedrop plummets or not, and how that compares with PS4.

Realistically both options are identical.. the jump from 900 to 1080 is barely noticeable and the drop from 60 to 55 on rare occasions is not noticeable. So sure its 100% worth it since an insignificant change gives them a huge marketing advantage since 1080p is the indoctrinated next gen benchmark.

Realistically both options are identical.. the jump from 900 to 1080 is barely noticeable and the drop from 60 to 55 on rare occasions is not noticeable. So sure its 100% worth it since an insignificant change gives them a huge marketing advantage since 1080p is the indoctrinated next gen benchmark.

Realistically, there is a gulf in performance between the 2 consoles that is noticeable. Under light conditions, one console drops down to around 50 fps while one maintains a solid 60 fps.

Many want a comparison of later on as the mob density increases.

What you said is not reality based nor is the goal of these analyses.

It too bad Blizzard didn't use some of the PS4 overhead for something else. It could be rendering internally at 80fps, but that is wasted.

For D3 both consoles need to test T3-T6 rifts with 4 saders spamming their abilities. If either console can hold 50+ fps, I'm going to be seriously impressed; because my PC can't and I"m running Phenom 2 X4 with a Geforce 660

Maybe that is why both do so well in the beginning of the game, I guess the engine gets pushed much more later. Too bad DF is ... incomplete.

Pft, both run the game as it was intended. There's little point in complaining that one doesn't use the extra headroom.

Seems to me that the push to 1080p on the Xbox One was justified.

It too bad Blizzard didn't use some of the PS4 overhead for something else. It could be rendering internally at 80fps, but that is wasted.

You don't know that. You don't know about other system limitations. You're simply stating blind wishes.

We don't even know if the PS4 can maintain a solid 60 fps under all conditions, and the Xbone could drop further than 8 fps too.

Like many other folks, I'd like DF to push on and test the bits that really thrash the engine. As the first post-June and MS involved 1080p title (as far as we know) this could be an interesting title to dig into.

So ... DF didn't have any leveled characters from the first game to auto-import? Or am I completely mistaking the way Destiny allows characters to travel between systems (with what Diablo offers)? That would have given them a huge jump on being able to test out the later levels.

But it would have been a bit tougher to find at least 3 other players with similar levels to be able to meet up and perform the MP tests. I can sort of understand why they didn't go for MP testing.

They likely felt pressured on getting out an article within the launch time window instead of doing the analysis everyone really wants.

Last edited by a moderator:
So ... DF didn't have any leveled characters from the first game to auto-import? Or am I completely mistaking the way Destiny allows characters to travel between systems? That would have given them a huge jump on being able to test out the later levels.

But it would have been a bit tougher to find at least 3 other players with similar levels to be able to meet up and perform the MP tests. I can sort of understand why they didn't go for MP testing.

They likely felt pressured on getting out an article within the launch time window instead of doing the analysis everyone really wants.

Destiny...*coughcoughDIABLOcoughcough*

Nope. I wasn't mistaken with the features of Diablo 3: Ultimate Evil Edition. Diablo III: Pick Your Platform, Keep Your Save.

As of today, "cross-brand" and "cross-generational" transfers have been enabled for Diablo III on supported PlayStation® and Xbox® platforms. These transfers will allow players to export their save data from Diablo III on the PS3™ and Xbox 360™ and import it to Ultimate Evil Edition on the PS4™ or Xbox One™.

I guess DF never played the first Diablo 3 then.

O_O i though diable 3 as always on game = your save are on Blizzard server and can be accessed from anything. Like FF14.

but it save normally like offline single player game...

You wrote DESTINY.

Yes, as in, I hope the feature I'm thinking of, character import across console generations, isn't a mistake from confusing Diablo Features with Destiny Features.

I edited the original post to make that bit a little bit clearer (hopefully).

Uhh? You are getting more frames pr second, the PS4 is still ahead even with Microsoft helping Blizzard to achieve the 1080p checkmark.

It´s classic 3rd party software, there is a parity simply because the lowest spec dictate a lot of stuff, so what we are seeing is most likely just the superior bandwidth of the PS4 and not much from the 6 extra CU.
It will be up to 1st party games to explorer the extra power to the extreme, not a early 3rd party game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back