Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2010]

Status
Not open for further replies.
FFXIII comparison. Informative as usual, but it's kind of odd that a face off turned into wagging the finger at the developers for doing a sub par work on the port.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-final-fantasy-xiii-face-off

True.

He also "forget" to check graphics properly, X360 version has "prolems" with self-shadows

http://i46.tinypic.com/2uzuil4.gif

http://i45.tinypic.com/2cdizpg.gif

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2685/4392626069_b67c5aa574_b.jpg

The shadows are fainter, but still there in the first one. Probably just a bug that needed tweaking.

Looking at his right collar (image left), the vertical column shadow looks further "in". Might be an offset issue.

Maybe but this should be mention in the article.

Might I direct you to the comments section at Eurogamer for article feedback. The tech forums here are for discussing.... tech.

Shadows seem faint as opposed to missing entirely. And they've done a lot of analysis of PS3 platform titles (Uncharted series in particular) so I don't see this bias.

In some cases they are faint in others they are missing. In the pic with the chocobo chick the shadows on the finger are faint in the 360 version, but the shadows from the wings are just missing. In that Snow gif many shadows are lighter, but the shadows from the necklace are missing.

In some cases they are faint in others they are missing. In the pic with the chocobo chick the shadows on the finger are faint in the 360 version, but the shadows from the wings are just missing. In that Snow gif many shadows are lighter, but the shadows from the necklace are missing.

Nope, just lighter.

[edit: actually, you're right with the chain. However, even stranger is that only some of the chain on the PS3 actually casts a shadow]

Last edited by a moderator:
The 360 port is compromised enough without making up extra problems!

It's a pity that there wasn't a fourth disk with optional install hi-def cutscenes - MS are trying to use this game to shift 250GB 360s after all. It's also unfortunate that there isn't an option to run the game at a higher resolution minus the AA (like Tekken 6, only done propperly) - I'd take 1366 * 768 over 1024 * 576 any day.

The 360 port is compromised enough without making up extra problems!

It's a pity that there wasn't a fourth disk with optional install hi-def cutscenes - MS are trying to use this game to shift 250GB 360s after all. It's also unfortunate that there isn't an option to run the game at a higher resolution minus the AA (like Tekken 6, only done propperly) - I'd take 1366 * 768 over 1024 * 576 any day.
I was thinking the same thing. 720p with no AA or some software form of AA would have been nice.

For Microsoft it would have been even better it they came up with a continuous play method (no disk switching after install) using the optional NXE install. Especially for those 250gig bundles. It's not as big of a deal for this game but would have been nice.

For Microsoft it would have been even better it they came up with a continuous play method (no disk switching after install) using the optional NXE install.

That's how I read it

DF: "That being the case, while you can install all three discs to hard drive for a seamless experience, there really is little point over and above the convenience and noise-reduction elements. Disc-swapping on Xbox 360 is kept to an absolute minimum and has next to no impact on the experience of playing Final Fantasy XIII."

Might I direct you to the comments section at Eurogamer for article feedback. The tech forums here are for discussing.... tech.

Certainly a decision that has kept this thread lively. But surely you mean discussing tech in terms of the article? An overlooked technical difference not picked up by the article seems to be fair game, it's not like the complaints about editorial tone that had this thread moved out from the console forum.

Great post-mortem on UC2 grandmaster, really enjoyed it, some very interesting stuff in there as well. The fact that they had such a poor framerate so late into the project opened my eyes a little.

EDIT: On a side note, there is a lot of manual optimisation going on there. The article doesn't mention if that is simply optimising the C/C++ or going down to the ASM level.

Great post-mortem on UC2 grandmaster, really enjoyed it, some very interesting stuff in there as well.

Indeed.

The baseline net code itself was written by one of the Naughty Dog co-presidents, adding to his already considerable workload.

"Christophe Balestra wrote all of our networking code in-house from the ground up," shares Richard Lemarchand. "He gave us a very solid base to build our multiplayer game on and he was able to support us throughout the whole of development even though he had a lot of other responsibilities."

So impressive of a founder to still be so active in the production coding, not getting drowned by administration work. :oops:

He must be a inspiration to the co-workers.

"We could say to each other, 'If it works on train, it must work everywhere!' In other words, not only had we made our game run at 30 frames per second, we'd also made it run at 60 miles per hour!"

ha ! :LOL: amazing work indeed .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back