Unigine DirectX 11 benchmark

Fellix, your other post linking to the exact same thing didn't disappear by accident. That "leak" is dubious at best, at least morally if not legally too,so we'd rather not have it plastered around here for the time being. Thanks!

91832511.png

The final version is out: Heaven 2.0

AlexV -- happy now?

Last edited by a moderator:
From that link.

Version 1.0: Less tessellation, more fps (32)
http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/633/unigine2010032318413747.jpg

Version 2.0: More tessellation, less fps (23)
http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/289/unigine2010032318571207.jpg

The IQ difference isn't very big and doesn't justify the price tag imho.

I think you got it reverse?! The one with more FPS is 2.0 and the one with less is 1.0

And as far as I'm concerned I can't see any tessellation quality difference.

Thanks Fellix for a link!
Pity Unigine server is overloaded at the moment :mad:

I will give it a go once it's on my HDD!

PS. I wonder how different this version is from 1.1 used by nVidia to showcase Fermi tesselation?

I think you got it reverse?! The one with more FPS is 2.0 and the one with less is 1.0

I think he means the levels ,

in the picture with 32 frames , Tessellation levels are less than version 1 , hence the increase in performance (back face culling?) .

in the picture with 23 frames , tessellation levels are the same as version 1 .. ie , more polygons , hence the lower frames .

is that correct ?

:oops: Fixed

I think he means the levels ,

in the picture with 32 frames , Tessellation levels are less than version 1 , hence the increase in performance (back face culling?) .

in the picture with 23 frames , tessellation levels are the same as version 1 .. ie , more polygons , hence the lower frames .

is that correct ?

Yes that is what I meant. Looks like there's less tessellation in Version 2.0 than in 1.0, though the difference very minor in comparison to the whopping 40% performance hit.

Well at least Unigine is doing something with the extra triangles. Games are just upping the polycount but not adding any detail.

:oops: Fixed

Yes that is what I meant. Looks like there's less tessellation in Version 2.0 than in 1.0, though the difference very minor in comparison to the whopping 40% performance hit.

Nope there isn't less tessellation in 2.0. Check out the screenshots I just took (looks like the LOD has been tweaked to improve perfs):

1.0 (Enabled):

2.0 (Enabled):

2.0 (Extreme):

If you go into the heaven 2.0 directory, you will find heaven.zip. If you unpack that, you can see all the mesh files. If you have the free SDK, you will find optimized code that looks for specific hardware before defaulting to a secondary engine.
It doesn't name what it is looking for, but it looks for a specific hardware string, and when it is not found, it just falls back to the old render.
More here!

Hey guys. Just finished some quick testing

YouTube - UNIGINE HEAVEN v2.0 BENCHMARK 1920X1080 DX11 CROSSFIRE 2X ATI 5850 @1.0GHz CORE i7-860 @4.0GHz

YouTube - UNIGINE HEAVEN v2.0 BENCHMARK 1920X1080 4XAA DX11 CROSSFIRE 2X ATI 5850 @1.0GHz CORE i7-860 @4.0GHz

With extreme tesselation it runs like at 15fps with 5850 crossfire. The problem is that you don't see anything great over the standard tesselation!

BTW, here's my older video

UNIGINE HEAVEN BENCHMARK 1920X1080 DX11 CROSSFIRE 2X ATI 5850 @1.0GHz CORE i7-860 @4.0GHz

The dragon scenes are at 3:00 for the 2.0 video and at 2:19 and 3:04 for the old video.

There is some noticeable performance difference really, but please keep in mind that these two results are not 100% comparable. In the old video I used Catalyst 9.12 while in the new one I used Catalyst 10.3. Moreover in the old video I had a Maximus III with 8X+8X PCIe configuration while in the new video I used a MSI Trinergy with 16X+16X PCIe configuration. Differences with the two plattforms should be insignificant for this benchmark but I just wanted to mention that.

Back