Nvidia is now offering "official" Customer Support at Nzone.

That isn't even true Xman. But from my conversations with them they've done nothing to prevent to Lucid boards. Last I heard MSI denied it. Nvidia hasn't even gotten a chance to see the Lucid chip. They actually want to see it in action. They're as skeptical as everyone else right now.

Here's a question or two:

1: As you know nvidia has something called 3D VISION DISCOVER, in other words a set of anaglyph glasses that they are giving away at trade shows etc,
Do you not agree it would be an outstanding idea to distribute those glasses to those who selflessly dedicate their lives to guarding Sacred Terabytes ?
ps: regarding 3d Vision
In your prevous post you stated "we have seeded over 150 3D Vision test setups to developers worldwide" can you think of a better test setup than the "Sacred Terabyte" ?

2: Who is the guy responsible for programming "show only applications installed on this computer" and can I have his head on a plate.
Seriously this guy sucks. Afaik its only worked on one driver version and been broken on all the rest, how hard can it be, the difficult bit, the detection algorithm is working otherwise the profiles would never activate.
So it just a case of :

If profile activated then
show on "show only applications installed on this computer" list
else
do bugger all

So get this guy here and have him explain himself...

ps: why no 3D VISION DISCOVER support in Xp ?

Here's a question or two:

As you know nvidia has something called 3D VISION DISCOVER, in other words a set of anaglyph glasses that they are giving away at trade shows etc,
Do you not agree it would be an outstanding idea to distribute those glasses to those who selflessly dedicate their lives to guarding Sacred Terabytes ?

Who is the guy responsible for programming "show only applications installed on this computer" and can I have his head on a plate. Seriously this guy sucks. Afaik its only worked on one driver version and been broken on all the rest, how hard can it be, the difficult bit, the detection algorithm is working otherwise the profiles would never activate. So it just a case of :

If profile activated then
show on "show only applications installed on this computer" list
else
do bugger all

So get this guy here and have him explain himself...

ps: why no 3D VISION DISCOVER support in Xp ?

I'll vouche fror that. Pre 18x, my DDO game would be in list after I told it to add. Now it wont stay no matter how many times I add it.

Davros. If you want to ask a question. You have to sign up at nzone. This is because I alone do not take the questions. They are voted on by a counsel of three people. And then we determine what to submit. So we make the reviews at nzone.

Sorry for the trouble.

Chris

Question showed up a little late for this weeks submission and vote. But I'll make sure it ends up in next weeks vote.

Chris

Some felt the original PhysX question wasn't answered satisfactorily. So we had Nvidia answer again. Davros we will be doing the review shortly. We've had alot of delays due to the holiday and we're trying to figure out how to better streamline this.

#1 - How do you expect PhysX to compete in a DirectX 11/OpenCL world?

By Tom Petersen, Director of Technical Marketing: PhysX does not compete with OpenCL or DX11’s DirectCompute.

PhysX is an API and runtime that allows games and game engines to model the physics in a game. Think of PhysX as a layer above OpenCL or DirectCompute, which in contrast are very generic and low level interfaces that enable GPU-accelerated computation. Game developers don’t create content in OpenCL or DirectCompute. Instead they author in toolsets (some of which are provided by NVIDIA) that allow them to be creative quickly. Once they have good content they “compile” a specific platform (PC, Wii, Xbox, PS3, etc) using another tool flow.

During this process game studios have three basic concerns:

1. Does PhysX make it easier to develop games for all platforms – including consoles?

2. Does PhysX make it easier to have kick ass effects in my game?

3. Will NVIDIA support my efforts to integrate this technology?

And the answer to the three questions above is: yes, yes, and yes. We are spending our time and money pursuing those goals to support developers, and right now the developer community is not telling us that OpenCL or DirectCompute support are required.

In the future this may or may not change, and the dynamics of this situation are hard to predict. We can say this though:

1. AMD and Intel are not investing today at the same pace as NVIDIA in GPU accelerated physics.

2. AMD and Intel will need to do the bulk of the work required to support GPU accelerated PhysX on their products. NVIDIA is not going to do QA or design for AMD or Intel.

At the end of the day, the success of PhysX as a technology will depend on how easy it is for game designers to use and how incredible the game effects are that they create. Batman: Arkham Asylum is a good example of the type of effects we can achieve with PhysX running on NVIDIA GPUs, and we are working to make the next round of games even more compelling. At this time, NVIDIA has no plan to move from CUDA to either OpenCL or DirectCompute as the implementation engine for GPU acceleration. Instead we are working to support developers and implement killer effects.

So does NVIDIA profit from all this? We sure hope so. If we make our GPUs more desirable because they do incredible things with PhysX, then we have done a great job for our customers and made PC gaming more compelling.

#2 - Will PhysX become open-source?

Tom Petersen: NVIDIA is investing a lot of time and effort in PhysX and we do not plan to make it open source today. Of course the binaries for the SDK are distributed for free, and source code is available for licensing if game designers need it.

MOD EDIT: Everyone, please use this thread for discussing PhysX vis-à-vis OpenCL and continue to use this thread for the nzone customer support. Thank you.

Davros. I wanted to submit your question. But you'll have to forgive me for not because I didn't understand the innuendo of "Sacred Terabyte". if you could clarify to me what you meant and I might be able to expand upon it.

Davros. I wanted to submit your question. But you'll have to forgive me for not because I didn't understand the innuendo of "Sacred Terabyte". if you could clarify to me what you meant and I might be able to expand upon it.

Look for THIS TOPIC started by Davros and feast your eyes on his (quest for) the Terabyte of gaming goodness.

The story told leads you past greener pastures, fields of formatted pastures and silicon gnomes, will our hero finally get a screen wide enough to display his start menu?

Well I did have a screen wide enough 24" 1920x1200 but it died
I had to go back to a 22" 1680x1050 and as a result my games folder wont fit on the screen so Ive had to split it into two :(

The Sacred Terabyte - more goodness than a single screenshot can contain :

I might actually have had more games than you Davros except I lost about 3 HDDs at the same time. :(

Back