NV got DS2 contract according to BSN

You know what I'd like to see in a handheld? Instead of better graphics, I'd love to see a handheld that can be played outside in the daylight! God, it's such a pain in the ass to play when the sun shines into the screen. Is there technology out there that can solve that problem? Other than making the screen lighting even brighter. It wastes batteries too.
Check mirasol. It is fully readable even in direct summer sun.

You know what I'd like to see in a handheld? Instead of better graphics, I'd love to see a handheld that can be played outside in the daylight! God, it's such a pain in the ass to play when the sun shines into the screen. Is there technology out there that can solve that problem? Other than making the screen lighting even brighter. It wastes batteries too.
This is why I still sometimes think both the NEOGEO Pocket Color and the GBC were quite elegant handhelds. If there's one thing reflective TFT is great for, it's daylight.

Unfortunately, the original GBA didn't quite follow suite when it came to screen functionality. The lack of appropriate contrast control in it was a hinderence to the point people went public with LCD mods (Afterburner), which is why they eventually came out with the SP models, and eventually the GBMicro.
There's also transflective LCD and PixelQi.
Doesn't PixelQi have a low refresh rate?

Edit: No, it seems PixelQi displays would really be inline with Nintendo's new device (since there's no added cost at all), although production won't start until next year, and which LCD manufacturers have already secured the tech hasn't been unveiled.

Last edited by a moderator:
PixelQi is cool. Check out the PixelQi videos at youtube. They show the quality of the PixelQi screen. It is far better than other transreflective Screens.

The only downside is, when it comes to consoles, that the screen is only grayscale in daylight.

If you think about low power, please don't forget unipixel. They seeem to have a contract, see http://www.unipixel.com/news.htm and the technology is rather fascinating. I only wonder if the refresh-rate will be high enough to have a good quality

Thank god! The whole point of a handheld is playing games on the go. Unless you're inside your home, there's no way I can prevent sunlight from shining at me. It's a real pain in the ass when a car turns and you'll have to reposition yourself to find some shadows like some kind of vampire trying to avoid the sun.

If you think about low power, please don't forget unipixel. They seeem to have a contract, see http://www.unipixel.com/news.htm and the technology is rather fascinating. I only wonder if the refresh-rate will be high enough to have a good quality
That technology seems to be purely emissive, yet they claim "daylight readability". Either the maximum brightness is a lot higher compared to other screen technologies (with corresponding power draw), or they don't mean direct sunlight.

That technology seems to be purely emissive, yet they claim "daylight readability". Either the maximum brightness is a lot higher compared to other screen technologies (with corresponding power draw), or they don't mean direct sunlight.

Is also using sequential primary colour display and PWM which means it can suffer from edge dithering, colour fringing/rainbowing artifacts on fast moving objects.

Is also using sequential primary colour display and PWM which means it can suffer from edge dithering, colour fringing/rainbowing artifacts on fast moving objects.

Yep, thats why I wondered a little bit about the quality. According to them the refreshrate is very high so they can avoid it but I'm not sure if thats correct (have not seen any video about the technology yet).

They need only 1/10 the power for the same amount of "nits"/Lumen because they have no LCD cristals and so instead of loosing 95% of the backlight energy they loose (according to them) only 1/3.

What about mirasol? Can this display be suitable for touchscreens? Wouldn't the pressure damage the MEMS on the display unit?

It seems like PixelQi might be a more likely candidate considering its empahisis on being easily integratable on existing productions lines, but overall it comes down to the best display for the least amount of power. Edit: That, and unlike mirasol, it can be both reflective and emissive.

Going back to the nVidia contract, I'm a little confused as to if they have choosen an ARM11 or this new CorTex-A9, since isn't the latter a multicore chip, and therefore harder to program for?

Last edited by a moderator:
Going back to the nVidia contract, I'm a little confused as to if they have choosen an ARM11 or this new CorTex-A9, since isn't the latter a multicore chip, and therefore harder to program for?
The DS is already multicore... It has an ARM6 and an ARM7 (or whatever) CPU in it, at different clock speeds and different caches, special instructions and other capabilities. Going to a dual-core cortex CPU would be making things EASIER for programmers than they are now. :D

IQ improving features like advanced texture filtering or anti aliasing are more in ISVs' hands than graphics IHVs'. Here the game developer has to balance resources of the lowest common denominator (which for handhelds will be most likely the next generation Nintendo DS"2") and if there are resources to spare they'll of course rarely enable some AA and/or some AF, but definitely not across the board.

I mainly expect a better CPU for tegra 2 (cortex?), and perhaps the same GPU clocked a bit faster.

I'm a nutcase, with low expectations on the desktop and very high ones on handheld.
I love running older games at insane IQ and insane framerates on the very lowest end graphics card available today.

I'm afraid Arun is right. There are vast oxymorons in the above two paragraphs. The DS2 graphics chip will be by several times more modest in terms of graphics power than say ION2 and for a handheld the graphics capabilities have been tuned down in a somewhat relevant analogy to target resolutions.

The DS is already multicore... It has an ARM6 and an ARM7 (or whatever) CPU in it, at different clock speeds and different caches, special instructions and other capabilities. Going to a dual-core cortex CPU would be making things EASIER for programmers than they are now. :D
Oops. I forgot about that...

I'm wondering if the developers would now need to learn any new special instruction sets for the nVidia specific hardware parts (like the shaders, etc.) or could they still be able to run games entirely using existing ARM code or a Nintendo-specified language (I'm not familiar with DS SDKs, so feel free to correct me). I ask because if Nintendo ever ran into the same situation with the SPC700/Nintendo S-SMP, they'd still be able to emulate it long after the deal has expired (in other words, forwards-compatibility so to speak).

there's any techinacal demo indicative of what we can graphically expect from next generation handleds console?

there's any techinacal demo indicative of what we can graphically expect from next generation handleds console?

First generation Tegra devices run Quake 3 at 35fps @ 800x480 with 5xcsaa (2 multi samples + 3 coverage samples) and 8xaf. Tegra 2 is being touted as a ~2x performance upgrade, so Nintendo's offering should be able to run Quake 3 with that quality at a smooth 60fps, clocks permitting.

Now, Nintendo most definitely will not be releasing a handheld with such a high resolution in 2010/2011, so it should be capable of much more impressive graphics at its given resolution, again, on the proviso that Nintendo don't restrict clockspeeds too severely.

You may get even more out of it due to the far more powerful CPU. Thank God you're taking Q3a mobile as a reference and not something like Doom3 mobile :LOL:

next will be a strange generation
common component that will be found on highend cellphone, and that will be obsolete in a year beaten by pmp...

Does that really matter? So what your phone is outdated after a year? As long as it does what you wanted it to do when you bought it I dont see the problem. Besides, I dont know how it is in other countries but in Holland you usually sign a contract for 1 year (and pay a bit extra if you want a high end phone) or 2 years (and you will get basically any phone for free, though it depends a bit on the price of your contract ofcourse) and after that if you push a bit its often possible to renew your contract for only 1 year and get a new phone for free so in the worst case you'll be behind 1 year and given how even 1 year old phones like my Touch Diamond can do everything I dont see the problem unless you want games.

The product category with the highest volume -- the one with the most usefulness to people -- will of course be the driver for advancement in processors.

Back