AMD: R9xx Speculation

look at where they put Barts ;), seems like that road map seems pretty much whats going to come up.

No it doesnt... Barts is faster than Cypress Pro and the chart doesnt show that? o_O

But you might be right, judging by other I had arguments today xD

Last edited by a moderator:
The 68xx are indeed 30% faster then the previous gen mid range but only due to its clock speed increases, and Cayman has less ALU's then the 58xx, so by what you posted can we get a chip that is clocked higher and higher effeciency to fill that 30% gap.

Incorrect - the 6850 is quite faster than the 5770 and it has lower clock. The clock reason could be true only for the 6870 performing better than the 5850 in the average.

Response from AMD today

Looks like AMD has put out a statement today regarding their products.
Antilles will be release Q1 2011
Cayman will be released Q4 2010

There are other products as well but I wanted to keep the post on topic. You can read more about it though. Source

There are other products as well but I wanted to keep the post on topic. You can read more about it though. Source

So nothing new really, we are already in Q4.

I have a feeling that AMD were taken a back(again since it's happened again and again from NV40 and G80) with the GTX580 results and now they have to decide on clock speeds to try and be competitive.

*please note that this is my own opinion*

I think they are going to have to try and lower the prices vs the 580 to get 6950/70 to sell.

That or TSMC screwed them over again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Well well, where have we seen dates as Quarters before? :rolleyes:
Antilles seems to be already out of schedulle, as their powerpoints said it was December. And Q1 can be anywhere from January to March...
Cayman Q4 2010... Not very specific...
Will we see AMD's "Fermi"?

I think they are going to have to try and lower the prices vs the 580 to get 6850/70 to sell.
You surely mean 6950/6970, don't you? I don't think they were planning to go way above 400 Euros with 6970 anyway. So probably not even a need to adjust pre-launch?

Razor1 said:
The 68xx are indeed 30% faster then the previous gen mid range but only due to its clock speed increases
Eh, what? It's not the doubled ROPs? It's not the doubled memory interface? It's not the 40% more ALUs/TMUs? It's not the improved tesselation unit?

and Cayman has less ALU's then the 58xx, so by what you posted can we get a chip that is clocked higher and higher effeciency to fill that 30% gap.
It's 384 4D-units vs. 320 5D-units. I doubt AMD would have bothered to make such a change if there wasn't any noticable increase in efficiency, so those 1536 surely won't perform like 1536 Cypress ALUs would.
Also, it should be mentioned that raw Shader-/Compute-power was/is not the weak spot of Cypress. 16xHQAF, Z Culling, Geometry/Tesselation and some other things are somewhat bottlenecking the shader units, not the other way round.

Anyway, I think AMD's switch to smaller 4D-units has the mid-term goal of doubling the ALUs per SIMD, my guess is that at 32nm Cayman would have been a 2560 ALU/80 TMU (20 SIMDs) chip, and Caymans 28nm successor could very well be Cayman with doubled ALU count (3072) + the usual minor architectural enhancements.

That is a market segment chart...

Antilles/Hemlock = Enthusiast
Cayman/Cypress = Performance
Barts = Sweet Spot
Juniper = Mainstream
That's what I think, too.

They are binned 5Gbps, clocks are lower due to TDP/performance.
iirc anandtech and others said it's actually because AMD removed some stuff from the memory controller that allowed higher clocks.

From Charlie with love:

Then it was on to the demos. AMD wowed the audience with a demo of a Cayman equipped 8 core Bulldozer playing an HD video while running MS's CPU load meters. At the same time! No, really, they pulled it off! Wow!
Oh wait, that has been doable for several years now. With a 1 core machine armed with an IGP. Call me unimpressed, especially since they showed a Llano doing 5x that at AMD's TFE conference 3 weeks ago. Then again, it was new running silicon.

Do I smell harsh in his tone?

And more:

The short story is that Cayman Pro is called HD6950, Cayman XT is HD6970, and Antilles, the dual Cayman, is called HD6990. We hear three people not paying attention were actually surprised.

iirc anandtech and others said it's actually because AMD removed some stuff from the memory controller that allowed higher clocks.
True, using the smaller/simpler MC saves PHY but I would also assume they are more power efficienct, though that is also due to running at slower speeds.

Also, according to anandtech, the 6850's have no problem hitting 4.6ghz effective, so the 4ghz reference speed must be for another reason.

Back