AMD: R9xx Speculation

IF AMD promotes Cayman as "new R300", they must be smokin' really good stuff :)

The last time someone chose that particular train of thought, it didn't end up that well. I seem to recall hallucinogenics being involved in the smoking claim...nope, that didn't go so well.

The last time someone chose that particular train of thought, it didn't end up that well. I seem to recall hallucinogenics being involved in the smoking claim...nope, that didn't go so well.

The exact Jen-Hsun Huang quote at the time of R300 was:

"Tiger Woods doesn't win every day. We don't deny that ATI has a wonderful product and it took the performance lead from us. But if they think they're going to hold onto it, they're smoking something hallucinogenic.''

He was right. Tiger Woods has lost more than Jen-Hsun could have imagined, and NVIDIA took back the performance lead and held on to it for for years.

The exact Jen-Hsun Huang quote at the time of R300 was:

"Tiger Woods doesn't win every day. We don't deny that ATI has a wonderful product and it took the performance lead from us. But if they think they're going to hold onto it, they're smoking something hallucinogenic.''

He was right. Tiger Woods has lost more than Jen-Hsun could have imagined, and NVIDIA took back the performance lead and held on to it for for years.

Performance crown went back and forth till R600 as far as I recall.

C'mon Dave, no more sour grapes. The FX beat you guys fair and square, remember? :|

Well, from what I remember nv40 really caught ATi off guard. ATi X800XTE anyone? GeForce 6600GT beated 9800Pro really heavy, and X600 was no competition either.
On G70 things were more or less balanced, and we all know what happened with G80 vs R600. So its my conclusion, that after R300, nope, they really didnt trade blows. nVIDIA was more times ahead.

63807935.jpg

82221693.jpg

94189504.jpg

http://www.chiphell.com/thread-133368-1-1.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really sort of hoping for a new R300 from all the unofficial chatter I've been hearing and can't talk about. :)

the r300 launched before dx 9 and offered extremely playable framerates on dx 9 games which no first gen dx card has managed to accomplish. It also brought playable fsaa to new games instead of just older games.

So what can cayman do ?

Current cards already play dx 11 games at playable framerates. Perhaps Eyefinity at high fsaa amounts in a single gpu? I don't really know if thats R300 level tho.

Back