AMD: R9xx Speculation

That's a very, very, very sick joke to make right now.

It's not actually a joke though, you're not exactly doing the PR people in either your own company nor in ATI a favour by going around saying they shouldn't have to be around. Why go there?

However, I do realise I could've been more considerate and apologise for that.

OcUK appear to have quite a few cards.

6870pyramid.jpg

Well I hope no one bumps into that pile…

[FONT=verdana,geneva]ATI Stream = [/FONT] [FONT=verdana,geneva]AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing (APP) Technology

[FONT=verdana,geneva]In the current day and age there is more to graphics cards than just playing games. More and more non-gaming related features can and are being offloaded to the GPU. ATI at first introduced ATI Stream, this is now renamed to AMD Accelerate. This is a software layer that allows software developers to 'speak' with the GPU and have it process data using your graphics card. This really is the most simple & basic description I can give it.
[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,geneva]
[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,geneva]Currently it simply follows and believes strongly in open standards as OpenCL or for the easiest path to add compute capabilities, Microsoft's DirectX 11 DirectCompute. OpenCL is what AMD believes in the most and allows any developer to use code that scales well on both CPUs and GPUs.[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,geneva]To make things a little more clear for the end user, AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing, will and is used in software like Cyberlink MediaShow and power director, ArcSoft MediaConverter 4, SimHD (upscaling, H.264 encoding), Total media Theatre (HW accelerated MPEG4/MVC ), Roxio Creator 2010, Adobe Photoshop CS4 and so on ... where the GPU assists the software in certain functions, offloading the processor.[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,geneva]Of course among it also falls ... folding ...[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,geneva]
[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,geneva]Folding@home using the ATI Radeon series 6000 GPU
Folding at home is a project where you can have your GPU or CPU (when the PC is not used) help out solving diseases, folding proteins. Over the past years a lot of progress has been made between the two parties involved. And right now there is a GPU folding client available that works with Radeon series graphics processors. It is ATI Accelerate based, meaning that all Stream/accelerate ready GPUs can start folding.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
I checked the F@H site and they only say the new client is in internal test so far. Will be interesting to compare when it's out already. :)

From Guru3d....

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
------------------------------
Level Contingency
4x Anti-Aliasing
16x Anisotropic Filtering
All settings maxed out
1920x1200

6870 - 117
470 - 112
6850 - 101
4601GB - 91

Battlefield Bad Company 2 DX11
Level Upriver
DirectX 11 enabled
8x Multi-sample Anti-aliasing
16 Anisotropic filtering
All image quality settings enabled at maximum
1920x1200

6870 - 46
470 - 44
6850 - 38
4601GB - 34

Colin McRae Dirt 2
-----------------
Baja Iron Route 1
8x Anti-Aliasing
16x Anisotropic Filtering
All settings maxed out
1920x1200

6870 - 70
470 - 62
6850 - 61
4601GB - 53

Far Cry 2
---------
Level Ranch Small
high-quality DX10 mode
8x AA (Anti-aliasing)
16x AF (Anisotropic Filtering).
1920x1200

470 - 71
6870 - 69
6850 - 60
4601GB - 55

Metro 2033
-----------
1920 AAA, Physx OFF DX11

6870 - 22
470 - 21
6850 - 20
4601GB - 17

Anno 1404 - Dawn of Discovery
enable everything
enable the highest possible image quality settings.
DirectX 10 mode
4x Anti-Aliasing enabled.
Use campaign build mode and have built three islands with extensive sizes cities.
1920x1200

6870 - 66
470 - 58
6850 - 54
4601GB - 51

Crysis WARHEAD
----------------
Level Ambush
Codepath DX10
Anti-Aliasing 2x MSAA
In game quality mode Gamer
1920x1200 DX10

6870 - 44
470 - 42
6850 - 37
4601GB - 36

Yeah, but it seems, that we don't need any more until 2012.
And for Huddy Tessellation "was the biggest hardware feature of DX11". Now it's something that you could use but plz not in a way that is would be useful.
You apparently didn't get to the tesselation bit of Hiiiiiiiiiiilbert's review before it was pulled. :p

Looks like some significant crossfire improvements. The 5870 beats the 6870, but in crossfire the 6870 edges ahead.

Of course neliz with the ninja edit beats my comment. :p

:p

In some cases CrossFire scaling > SLI scaling, Bad Company 2 for instance. Only place where CFX is lacking is in MW2.

Now this bothers me a bit:
"You guys will notice that the new 6800 series cards have a plethora of monitor connectors. Quite a bit has changed. The reference design cards will carry two mini Displayport (v1.2) connectors, one HDMI 1.4a connector and two DVI connectors of which one is single link, the other dual-link.".
What if I have two monitors that need dual-link DVI? I thought that most cards that had dual DVI outputs nowadays had dual link DVI on both of them?

I don't think I ever said PR people, I meant PR stunts as we were discussing.

backup of the review:
http://s216.photobucket.com/albums/cc273/madmaxnl/2156/?start=0

The only game where the 6870 loses to the GTX470 is in FC2 19x12 8xAA, but in that one it's considerably faster than a HD5870.

I wasn't implying any PR stunts when I asked Dave about AMD either promoting specifically or helping to create their own gaming engine. Thanks for the links though :D

Most dual-link panels these days support DP as well. You're really looking at the 30" and the Dell 27" and the newer models carry DP.

Back