Why SSAA and DX10 cen't work together In HD58X0 ?

I'd really like to see some Mass Effect Screenshots. :) Those parallax staircases in particular. ;) T_T

It's a shame I can't force SSAA on XBOX360 or in other world it's a shame I'm playing that game on the console :oops:

I will try to download demo of M.E. and test new AA for you today!
EDIT: no PC DEMO :(

In other cases where full screen SSAA is used there's a typical -0.5 LOD offset for each 2x SSAA samples. In other words:

2xSS = -0.5
4xSS = -1.0
(6xSS = -1.5)
8xSS = -2.0

Actually that's not correct. Every quadruple makes a -1.0 in LOD. So -2.0 is for the 16x.

bias = -0.5 * log2(samples)

What's a good program to manually adjust LOD? I don't have a lot of time to test things, but SSAA is interesting enough that I'm willing to try some stuff out to see if it's suitable for more cases without the blur.

Regards,
SB

Doom 3 was a major offender for shader aliasing. I'd love to see how that looks with SSAA if anyone can capture some screens.

ATi Trays Tools is the one allowing to adjust LOD on Radeon cards, but I don't know if it will work properly on 5800 series.

Actually that's not correct. Every quadruple makes a -1.0 in LOD. So -2.0 is for the 16x.

bias = -0.5 * log2(samples)

Ooops thanks for the correction. In other words for 8xSS still -1.0 would be recommended I guess.

wow 9 years after manually adjusting LOD to -1.0 on my V5 for 4xRGSS, I still might have to do it again! :)

They have 16xAF enabled, but AF doesn't work on the ground in Crysis due to Parallax Occlusion Mapping. Dunno why AF can't work with POM, but it's a terrible eye sore in CryENGINE 2.

The image looks resized from the original in-game shot, so it's more or less a worthless comparison. :rolleyes:

I don't find it more or less worthless considering there are virtually no other visual examples - except words.

What is learned?

There is added detail, reviewer talks about subjective noise factors and one can add negative lod with a third party tool.

I do agree it would be nice to see better or ideal examples.

L4D is very suitable as test vehicle -- the game is predominantly dark with high contrast lighting, so you can see quite a lot of specular aliasing along some fine geometry objects and surfaces. That's valid for most of the Source engine titles, though.

Crysis + SSAA = drrooooooool...

The pair of 4850's is gonna have to find another home soon, it seems.

Back