Witcher 2

Yeah, that dragon.

Do you mean the part, where you have to choose to go right or left into a somewhat narrow corridor with small opening in the middle of the corridor, one or two waves of three enemies inside the corridor and the dragon flying around and scorching the roof?

if so, you can't stay still very long, because the dragon will scorch the roof and you pretty quickly, instead get rid of the first wave of enemies pretty fast and move quickly towards the end of the corridor, while still paying attention to the dragon's flame pattern, you can't be in the exposed middle part of the corridor when the dragon attacks.

I think the dragon doesn't bother you when you fight against the enemies guarding the door. Geralt is quite weak over there, so make sure your companions are drawing some of the heat from the enemies.

It was somewhat hard spot I agree, Probably took 10-15 tries from me. Come to think of it, I think I died more there than in any other single section of the game, but there are few other tricky ones in addition to that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had some trouble with that section as well, but I got over it after a few tries.

Colicab, there's a few things you should know about the Witcher series. First off, the game is a kick in the balls to newcomers. It can be totally unforgiving, even to seasoned players, depending on the difficulty you're playing on. Lots of trial and error, but don't let it discourage you. To be completely honest, if I had to choose which portion of TW2 I enjoyed the least, it would easily be the prologue. It's not an accurate representation, whatsoever, of what follows in the impending chapters. You're limited to very little interaction with the world, it's almost a corridor which you follow until you reach the objective, and there's few choices that actually impact the games turnout. No matter which choices you make, the climax of the prologue cannot be avoided.

If you do, however, decide to keep playing, and I suggest you do because the game is phenomenal, you need to keep in mind a few things:

-TW2 isn't like traditional RPG's where you can cast a spell or drink a potion that will automatically replenish a portion of your health. Depending on the difficulty you play on, alchemy can range from optional to absolutely vital. I play on hard, and almost every encounter requires at least one potion or blade oil. Try to keep yourself buffed with Swallow, because Vitality regeneration is a bitch during combat.
-Position is key. Depending on your target's armor, some enemies use shields and the window to attack is minimal, try to dodge after an enemy swings at you, and hit them from the back. Backstabs increase damage significantly. If you put enough talents into the Swordsman path, you'll enable a talent called "Footwork" which increases the area covered while dodging by up to 200%.
-Utilize your signs. While I haven't ventured very far into Magic talents, I've seen that some of them increase the potency of your signs drastically. The basic signs you're offered from the get go are enough to get you by. Yrden is one of the best signs for taking advantage of multiple enemies. Trap one, and if you don't decide to attack him directly, attack someone else while he's trapped.

Other than that, I implore you give the game a second chance. The chapters following the prologue are awesome.

Also, I neglected to mention, due to CDPR's unending generosity, they've allowed all DLC to be available to everyone. The Blue Stripes combat jacket, Mage's trousers and Herbalist's gloves make the prologue a lot easier when you equip them.

One more thing, I've spent a little time researching SLI and The Witcher 2 and found an interesting hotfix that supposedly increases Ubersampling performance with SLI users:

http://www.overclock.net/pc-games/1021185-witcher-2-sli-fix-guide.html

I'm going to test it out when I get home.

Also, here's a link to a tweaker that allows you to go even deeper in depth with the advanced graphics options:

http://www.witchernexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=181

I'm going to give them both a try. I'll report back with my findings.

One more thing, I've spent a little time researching SLI and The Witcher 2 and found an interesting hotfix that supposedly increases Ubersampling performance with SLI users:

http://www.overclock.net/pc-games/1021185-witcher-2-sli-fix-guide.html

I'm going to test it out when I get home.

Also, here's a link to a tweaker that allows you to go even deeper in depth with the advanced graphics options:

http://www.witchernexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=181

I'm going to give them both a try. I'll report back with my findings.

Cheers looking forward to hearing your report. I am gonna give it a shot as well when I get time at home.

The SLI tweak isn't much of an improvement, and if there were a potentially drastic FPS increase, I didn't notice it, due to my frame rate being capped at 60, with Vsync. I never turn it off. As for the tweaker, I encountered significant bugs, including a white light that stayed in the center of the screen, until I uninstalled it. Unfortunately, there isn't an actual ubersampling fix, until CDPR decides to fix it. Ubersampling is a mode of AA that renders the image numerous times and is intended for people running the game on multiple monitors. unless being rendered at some insanely high resolution, the mode has to scale itself down, causing the FPS dive. Forcing Supersampling through the Control Panel isn't a viable replacement, either. It doesn't actually replicate the Ubersampling effect, in fact the change isn't even noticeable. I'm praying CDPR addresses this issue, eventually, with an official fix.

I just finished chapter 2, after choosing Roche, and I have a few questions:

So, it was him leading the conspiracy against Henselt the entire time? Geralt spent all this time trying to methodically pinpoint conspirators and when you discover Roche is the leader, you act like nothing happens. This struck me as a little odd.

Also, I saw mention of Boussy being killed, but it was never expanded upon. When the hell did this happen? I must have missed it.

I thought ubersampling was just CDP's term for supersampling? What does it have to do with multiple monitors?

The SLI tweak isn't much of an improvement, and if there were a potentially drastic FPS increase, I didn't notice it, due to my frame rate being capped at 60, with Vsync. I never turn it off. As for the tweaker, I encountered significant bugs, including a white light that stayed in the center of the screen, until I uninstalled it. Unfortunately, there isn't an actual ubersampling fix, until CDPR decides to fix it. Ubersampling is a mode of AA that renders the image numerous times and is intended for people running the game on multiple monitors. unless being rendered at some insanely high resolution, the mode has to scale itself down, causing the FPS dive. Forcing Supersampling through the Control Panel isn't a viable replacement, either. It doesn't actually replicate the Ubersampling effect, in fact the change isn't even noticeable. I'm praying CDPR addresses this issue, eventually, with an official fix.

I just finished chapter 2, after choosing Roche, and I have a few questions:

So, it was him leading the conspiracy against Henselt the entire time? Geralt spent all this time trying to methodically pinpoint conspirators and when you discover Roche is the leader, you act like nothing happens. This struck me as a little odd.

Also, I saw mention of Boussy being killed, but it was never expanded upon. When the hell did this happen? I must have missed it.

Yeah I felt the same way. I thought maybe there would be more of an explanation later on in Chapter 3 but I have not gotten too far in to Chapter 3 yet. Perhaps these things could possibly well be included as fmv or something in Patch 2.0 as in the video for the patch it looked like there were a bunch of new content in there. One thing though I have noticed so far in Chapter 3 is the near lack of side quests and that makes me sad.

well.. I just finish it. I was a big fan of Witcher 1, of the books, etc... I like Witcher 2, but I think the one is better. Witcher 2 is beautiful and pretty stable, but I felt like in a corridor compared to TW1, like if the world was smaller. The story and characters didn't "take me" like the first 1.Fighting system is a lot better tough.

It still is an excellent game, but I was excepting more, maybe too much :(

I just finished it for the first time, Roche's path. The ending is beautifully done and powerfully shot, almost like a movie. I'm a little upset by people who claimed it "didn't go out with a bang." I couldn't have asked for a better ending.
Regardless of which path you take, there's totally going to be a third game. Too many questions are left unanswered. Even if they abide by TW2's unfinished business, Geralt survived and Temeria, at least from the choices I made throughout my first playthough, will remain in strife. Iorveth seemingly escaped death, and Roche joined Redania's special forces, after the termination of the Blue Stripes. The symbolism of the lady bug on Geralt's hand and the final scene of him overlooking Loc Muinne as he leaves, kind of sets the setting for a third game. Perhaps, regardless of which choices you wind up making, a third game could smooth over some turmoil.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just finished it for the first time, Roche's path. The ending is beautifully done and powerfully shot, almost like a movie. I'm a little upset by people who claimed it "didn't go out with a bang." I couldn't have asked for a better ending.
Regardless of which path you take, there's totally going to be a third game. Too many questions are left unanswered. Even if they abide by TW2's unfinished business, Geralt survived and Temeria, at least from the choices I made throughout my first playthough, will remain in strife. Iorveth seemingly escaped death, and Roche joined Redania's special forces, after the termination of the Blue Stripes. The symbolism of the lady bug on Geralt's hand and the final scene of him overlooking Loc Muinne as he leaves, kind of sets the setting for a third game. Perhaps, regardless of which choices you wind up making, a third game could smooth over some turmoil.

I've taken Iorveth path (but in a kind of neutral way, l wanted too save Triss, nothing else), and there too, a third game is a must.Anyway, with all the stuff happening in the books, and in the games, they have a lot of contents to exploit, which is great.

Still have not finished the game. I am feeling that the game kind of ran itself out of steam as Chapter 3 started. I am not sure. I guess I will pick it back up after patch 2.0 gets released or something. I still stick to my claim that Witcher 1 so far is a much better game. I love the soundtrack, love the ambience and the towns, they seem much more lively than Witcher 2 which kind of seems sterile in comparison.

Yeah not to mention there are still more 'upgrades' coming as they finalize their Xbox version because all the extra content is coming over as well as CDPR has announced!

Well I got really going with the game last night and with v 2.0 being the first version I´m playing, I can´t really compare it to previus versions... but from the changelist I can see that they have tweaked the combat mechanics quite a bit. Right now the combat is ok. Not great, but not really bad either. It´s just ok. I´m never looking forward to the next battle but I keep playing because story seems interesting and let´s face it, with the exception of few blurry textrures here and there and a few so-so character models, this game looks awesome.

I am playing the game with a 360 gamepad and tv and it plays like a great action adventure game with solid RPG elements for a console that does not yet exist. I like button mashing better than click-click-clicking. Well, occasionally it seems button mashing does not work so I would then run around a pillar or something, stop and cast igni, then run again. Doesn´t make sense but it works.

I would rather have this game with combat mechanics closer to that of Demon´s Souls. At least the character should get tired after swinging the sword for an extended time.

I could do without all those quicktime events and I´m a bit on the fence about the potion system, thinking a bit like what the guy at zero punctuation said. Difference being, I find it enjoying to play the game. I am having fun, not so much with the combat mechanics maybe, but with the whole experience.

Back