Gran Turismo PSP

A few quick impressions:

- Reviews and comments on podcasts that indicated you can't see in the dealership if you already own a car are blatently false. You can even see which color you own, and how many of those (maybe you can get multiple from sharing with others, or its useful for cars that are not shareable but tradeable, though I haven't seen those, only the other way around)
- Getting a Gold medal for challenges seems about as hard as in other GT games. I'm trying to get them all gold right away, but I can't always do it before my patience runs out. ;)
- Driving model seems to be a fair bit more advanced than GT4, which is weird in a sense. Collisions are better and the tire grip model is vastly improved. These even seem better than in GT5P which is surprising.
- Cockpit view is surprisingly cool and impressive. Good view of the road, and surprisingly good movement in the cockpit. The R390 Challenge on La Sarthe's Porsche corners is a very good example. I use this most of the time, which I didn't expect (though I did hope it ;) ).

Good game so far.

No one seems to have mentioned this, but the game itself does have some form of anti-aliasing when you play it. You can easily observe it by viewing cars where they rotate slowly, or even in races just looking at the edges. You don't notice the aliasing because it's all blended.

However, when you take a screenshot, it disables anti-aliasing for the shot. This is probably why you never see it in screenshots.

Are you sure that's not just slow refresh? An original PSP renders LocoRoco with narry a jaggy to be seen, but wtih swimming after images. If you move slowly, that means virtually no jaggies and no obvious motion streaks. In essence a crude temporal AA!

Are you sure that's not just slow refresh? An original PSP renders LocoRoco with narry a jaggy to be seen, but wtih swimming after images. If you move slowly, that means virtually no jaggies and no obvious motion streaks. In essence a crude temporal AA!

Maybe. There's definitely something going on.

It's either rendering at a higher resolution and downscaling, or doing some kind of AA.

You can pause the game during a race so absolutely nothing on the screen is moving. Observe the edges. You will see the edges are anti-aliased. If you take a screenshot, it will temporarily disable AA and it looks just like in all the screenshots online.

When paused and not taking a screenshot, you can see greater detail throughout the scene as well. For example, the concrete barriers on the sides of the track have splits where they are segmented and put together. This has a dark grey line that you can see when it's paused. When you take a screenshot and it disables the AA, the dark gark grey line is now a light grey line and some of the detail is gone. If they were doing some form of temporal AA, I don't think they would be able to retain that much detail for something only a pixel or two away. It's consistent, too. It doesn't matter whether the scene is moving slow or fast.

I don't know the specifics, I'm just stating that there is something going on. Edges are blended together when playing it. You can easily observe it yourself just by pausing it and looking at the edges, or by going to the screen where the car rotates around and look at the edges where it contrasts with the dark background. When you take a screenshot, the aliasing instantly pops out and looks bad.

Edit:

Looking at it some more...

I can see flicker of the edges when it is paused, so it might have something to do with refresh.

The whole screen has the AA consistently. It doesn't matter whether it's something directly in front of you, at the top of the screen, at the sides of the screen, etc. It has the same amount applied to it. If you use the cockpit view, the windshield wipers and other objects get larger.

The dithering effect is less obvious.

So it seems that maybe they are not doing AA, but they are just applying some full-screen blur/soften filter instead, kind of like GTA4 on the PC. But that doesn't explain why more detail shows up. For example, a building in the background with windows. When you take a screenshot, you can't make out a lot of fine detail in the building, edges aren't as striking, shapes are weird, etc. But when you just view it normally, the shapes are fine, edges are prominent, and there's just more detail overall as if it were rendered at a higher resolution and downsampled.

Last edited by a moderator:
I delved into Ad Hoc Party tonight, and after some messing about I got it to work. My garage expanded from 40 cars to over 700 ... :oops: :D Online racing works pretty well too so far. This is a really nice application.

Car-jacking in GT ? :oops:
Nope. Haven't paid much attention to GTPSP. I am more curious about Adhoc Party.

Ha ha, see what I mean ?

Over ad-hoc, you can give another player all cars that you own, that can be shared. It's the thing that's also like Pokemon I think. Cars have two basic traits for exchanging them: tradeable and shareable. When cars are shareable, you can basically give a copy of them to another player over ad-hoc. When they are tradeable, you can exchange them for another car or sell them, not sure which one - haven't tried this yet. Anyway, I gave my cars to a few people, and a few people gave me their cars, and some of these people had a lot of cars already. So that's how very quickly, my garage expanded. :p

Over ad-hoc, you can give another player all cars that you own, that can be shared. It's the thing that's also like Pokemon I think. Cars have two basic traits for exchanging them: tradeable and shareable. When cars are shareable, you can basically give a copy of them to another player over ad-hoc. When they are tradeable, you can exchange them for another car or sell them, not sure which one - haven't tried this yet. Anyway, I gave my cars to a few people, and a few people gave me their cars, and some of these people had a lot of cars already. So that's how very quickly, my garage expanded. :p

I like the car jacking idea better, especially if it included a chase. :LOL:

I think it would also be neat if they had title races where you put up the title/blue slip/whateveryouwanttocallit of your car in the race. This would work especially well in a custom mod class.

Enjoying this quite a bit. When I first started playing it I was not that impressed. But now I am hooked. Every time I complete a race all I can think is "one more race!"

Enjoying this quite a bit. When I first started playing it I was not that impressed. But now I am hooked. Every time I complete a race all I can think is "one more race!"

The game has grown on me too, I have mostly been driving challanges, with only a few challanges left to complete.
I got bronze on most of them though so there is still alot to work on.

The game has grown on me too, I have mostly been driving challanges, with only a few challanges left to complete.
I got bronze on most of them though so there is still alot to work on.

4 more challenges for me too. Final overtaking challenges are tough. For the 98 I got, I have 38 / 48 / 12 (G/S/B). Will definitely be working towards all gold, but I'm not great with the d-pad yet.

I got 12/14/71. The only event I've completed in the final overtaking challange is the second last, It was fairly easy as you could break alot later than your opponents and I was close to get a silvet on that on.

The d-pad makes it very difficult to get the right amount of accel/break/steering, and it doesn't help that I aint a good driver even with the wheel. Ususally a couple of seconds slower than the fastest times on timetrails in GT5. :(

I looked into it more and saw that it is blending frames together.

I paused the game so everything was static, and I had noticed a slight flicker. You don't notice it when you're playing the game because everything is moving, but when the scene is still it stands out.

When I would take screenshots, the AA that I saw would disappear momentarily while it captured the scene. This got me thinking that I could capture the flicker. While paused, I simply kept taking screenshot after screenshot. Once that was done I went and compared the shots and saw that there were two slightly different scenes.

1_frame1.png
1_frame2.png

2_frame1.png
2_frame2.png

These two frames look almost identical when lined up like they are here. However, open them in different tabs (or in any image viewer) and compare them. You will see the difference.

Anyway, since there was a difference, I took one frame and placed it over the other one with 50% opacity, and these were my results:

1_frames_combined.png
2_frames_combined.png

You can see the blending that it does and it makes many of the edges look smoother. This is what you actually see when you're playing the game.

It definitely increases the looks of the game and removes a lot of aliasing. Sony should have did this when releasing shots of the game so it would look more appealing as many of the complaints people had were about the aliasing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good find!

Can this also mean that they actually render 30fps and create 60 by blending frames?

Back