Gran Turismo PSP

Arwin

Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
Legend
As per request from the GT:HD thread, here's a thread dedicated to the PSP version of Gran Turismo.

Release date: 1 October 2009
Tracks: 35
Cars: 800+ from 90+ manufacturors

Modes:
- Challenges / Licences (102)
- Time Trial
- Race
- Drift
- Ad Hoc (race with various balancing and 'lottery' options, trade cars, give cars)

I saw some screenshots at arstechnica and was super disappointed in the alisasing. I would rather they spent more power on better aa than having it run at 60 fps.

It's not the AA thats the problem, but the small framebuffer they're using to get to 60fps which makes everything look pixellated, like a PS1 game.

You read it but don't fully understand it I presume so I'll clear it up for you.
They render at a lower color depth, this means that dithering is used.
Google the terms if you want to understand them.
np :smile:

You read it but don't fully understand it I presume so I'll clear it up for you.
They render at a lower color depth, this means that dithering is used.
Google the terms if you want to understand them.
np :smile:

Oh sorry, lol that is pretty stupid of me, I was thinking more along the lines of the PS3/360 where smaller framebuffer often means lower res (of course u don't see that on the PSP) So they're using 10 or 12 bit colour instead of the usual 16 or 24?

Whatever it is it doesn't look good.

My friend who is also a big GT fan, whom I'll be playing with ad-hoc on Friday, got the game in the store over lunch, says it looks great and plays just like it's bigger brother on PS2. Hope to be able to test the game myself tonight.

It's apparently up in the PSN store ... !

Hmm, though not in Europe I think.

Is there information how the supposed gran turismo psp and gt5 interaction goes? I'm just wondering if I should buy the psp version to get a head start with gt5(i.e. avoid the slow grinding in beginning and do that on psp instead)

Is there information how the supposed gran turismo psp and gt5 interaction goes? I'm just wondering if I should buy the psp version to get a head start with gt5(i.e. avoid the slow grinding in beginning and do that on psp instead)

I just got the game. There's an 'export garage' option. This should update your GT5 garage with the cars in your PSP garage. Of course we won't know for sure until GT5 is out, but that's the theory anyway. I'm definitely hoping to unlock a tonne of cars by the time GT5 comes out.

I like how even the starting car is random. I just got a 1-series BMW, where others online got a Peugeot 206, and an Alfa 147. I had Lancia, RUF, Infinity and Mitsubishi as dealerships. I think I'm lucky with that, as I could buy a RUF 3400S, which is a tuned Porsche Boxter iirc and a car I really enjoyed driving in GT4, especially on the Nurburging. So I can do that already right now. :D

The default button configuration does not really favor people who do the shifting themselves, I feel. I changed it considerably (using the L and R for shifting, down for rear view, up for ghost on/off). Steering with the analog nub seems workable, even with no assists and professional mode.

The brightness of the screen though does not seem to be optimised for the 1k series. It's ok, but for my taste it could definitely be a little bit brighter. There's no option to change this in the game - there's only a profile for PSP screen or external display (which in itself is good of course). It's again more tempting now for me to get a PSP Go.

Kazunori mentioned a few times that the cars you earned from GT PSP will indeed be usable in GT5. So Arwin should be correct.

Just bought gran turismo psp from psn store. What a gruelsome process, everything went smoothly up to the point where downloading the package took 1 hour(damn wlan) and another 30 minutes of installation time. Why on earth they cannot create image files that would require no installation?

There seems to be pinball fantasies available on psn store. Must buy at least for me.

edit. Gran turismo psp seems to be fairly fun game and has ok driving model(for portable). White markings and lines in roads are horribly flickery, I think graphics are fairly average but smooth. I think I will like this game while waiting for the real deal. It's a shame they didn't put more game modes/gran turismo mode. Now it seems like an awfully high quality demo with insane amount of tracks and cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got it yesterday aswell.
I have recently been playing GT4 on my PS3 up to just above 25% and I must say that I'm missing the career mode. I feel aimless, there are just too many races to race and it is unclear to me which cars I should buy.
And i think I got unlucky with my starter car aswell, I got a Honda Fit with Continuously variable transmission which makes it sound like shit. I promptly got the two volovos and 2 skylines aswell (R33 and R34).
I never got the analog controller to work with me, and I would have prefered more analog controllers for acceleration as well. But I think I will learn to use the controlls soon.
Apart from the above I really like the game.
I got it on UMD, disc sound was annoying so I spent 15 minutes to install on MS which was well invested time. It doesn't seem like I can start the game without the UMD though, but that is no biggie.

The car list is up at gtplanet.net

Man, really weak, beside some additions (Ferrari and Lamborghini) there are NO new cars since GT4. Probably won't buy it, since I can still play GT4 on the big screen with a carreer mode.

Man, really weak, beside some additions (Ferrari and Lamborghini) there are NO new cars since GT4. Probably won't buy it, since I can still play GT4 on the big screen with a carreer mode.

At least for me the point is to grind enough cars in PSP version so when gt5 comes out I can concentrate on online racing rather than grinding money and getting the interesting cars. Similarly I think I might use psp version just to learn some tracks I might not know so well yet.

And btw. the game itself is a lot of fun, it would just need career mode or some kind of online infrastructure for multiplayer. I like the game better and better after getting used to it.

So I had my first ad-hoc experience today. Since we had our little kids with us and they couldn't be left alone much, we didn't get a chance to do much, but just enough. Here are my initial experiences:

Sharing cars
Great feature. One selects give mode and sets up a 'room' (interesting that they use it like this, eh?) in a specified slot (e.g. 1). The other selects receive mode, and waits until the room becomes visibly occupied and open for business (garage door half-rolled up). Then you go in, and you get the option to receive the cars, and then give yours as well. Unless it's a total coincidence that we had the exact same number of shareable cars, it may well be possible that you can only receive as many cars as you can potentially give back - but again, that might be a coincidence. In our case, we got to give each other 14 cars.

Racing
We did two races, and both had jackpots (2x and 3x). Once also there was a jackpot for a particular player but that player didn't win so I don't know what additional effect that might have had. This is a great way to get money quick though - after two 2-lap races (Apricot Hill and Midfield) I had something like 263.000 credits. So with two PSPs, this is definitely a quick way to make a tonne of money, and racing here doesn't change the day either so if you have two PSPs, it looks like you can basically buy all the cars you ever get to see in any color :D.

As some of the reviews already mentioned, the framerate drops to 30fps while racing in ad-hoc mode. It didn't bother me much though, the game played surprisingly good in ad-hoc, really dug it and could see me doing that a lot. The only thing I really missed is being able to watch a replay of the race. It's not a big surprise, but I still would have liked it a bunch.

Oh and as a reminder, there are two ways to use this functionality online - get the Ad-Hoc application from the Japanese Store (which I'm about to do shortly) or use X-Link Kai (or whatever it is called again) to use your PC as a portal.

I'm using
... the only new things versus this instruction so far seem to be that there are 6 updates to download. Interesting by the way that this download from the PSN store installed automatically. Maybe that always happens now if you don't do a background download?

You mean this official list from the GT site?

http://eu.gran-turismo.com/local/gb/data1/products/gtpsp/carlist.html

I just bought this one yesterday:
40 Audi R8 LMS Race Car (Team PlayStation) '09

Very nice and definitely rather new ;). Also already have more or less my own car (pearl white prius '03 :p) and a bunch of other favorites.

Back