TEXAN*s SEGA enthusiast thread - past and future hardware choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up a DC from ThinkGeek not too long ago. Now all I need is some memory cards (VUs?), PowerStone, Shenmu, and I'm all set. :LOL: VGA adapter would be nice, but IIRC, they're extremely rare.

My gaming collection just didn't seem complete without one.
I got my VGA box from Racketboy. It's not an official Sega model, but it has a headphone out and also S-Video and works quite well. The site seems to be down at the moment, but if it comes back up, check it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's obvious why the Dreamcast bombed. The PS2 shipped with 50% more untapped potentials, and the Dreamcast lacked the ability to synthesize emotion.

I gotta admit, I believed the hype when I compared Gran Turismo 2000 videos to Sega GT. Even though GT3 wound up looking much better than GT2k, it didn't ship until the Dreamcast's corpse was decomposing. Tekken Tag Tournament, however, came out at the PS2's launch and was noticeably more detailed than Soul Calibur. I still don't understand how the ground had more detail than even Tekken 6's floors.

Sega's management was so incompetent it is hard to belive. SoE invested all its marketing budget sponsoring football clubs, but did they have a football game to back it up? Of course not, who needs actual game?

Idiots....

Virtua Soccer didn't come out in Europe? Or you mean one with licensed teams?

I gotta admit, I believed the hype when I compared Gran Turismo 2000 videos to Sega GT. Even though GT3 wound up looking much better than GT2k, it didn't ship until the Dreamcast's corpse was decomposing. Tekken Tag Tournament, however, came out at the PS2's launch and was noticeably more detailed than Soul Calibur. I still don't understand how the ground had more detail than even Tekken 6's floors.

Not to disparage your opinion but I must object to your contention that a Tekken game could ever look better than Soul Caliber, let alone be a better game. Soul Caliber had absolutely gorgeous environments and the characters weren't half-bad either.

If Wii had the same control scheme as the others, I think we'd see the graphical disadvantages costing Nintendo greatly. And if DC launched with a Wiimote and Wii Sports, I'm sure it'd have done very well for itself.

Well it got Samba de Amigo. DC was doing the shaking before the Wii and it still failed.

Not to disparage your opinion but I must object to your contention that a Tekken game could ever look better than Soul Caliber, let alone be a better game. Soul Caliber had absolutely gorgeous environments and the characters weren't half-bad either.
Artistic opinion aside, there's no denying Tekken had more geometric detail in both characters and stages.

>>The Dreamcast unfortunately was released too soon. GPU's released in 2000 were much,
>>much more powerful than the previous generation

The major different between 1998 ~ 2000 graphic hardware , is T&L unit.
Dreamcast release at 1998. It's impossable to equip true GPU(with T&L).
SH-4 is too weak at T&L.
Although SH-4 is powerful for its cheap price and small die size.
But lots of work must be done by SH-4, like os, engine, physic, music....
Only a few power left for geometry performance
Dreamcast need much more geometry performance.

The only solution is another chip for geometry processing.
Dreamcast really a 3D T&L Chip like videologic's ELAN chip.
ELAN offering multi-millions triangles and lots of "FREE" lighting.
(SEGA put ELAN inside Naomi2, to help SH-4.)
It will more expensive than orignal dreamcast, but much more capable at 3D.

Just picked up a DC from ThinkGeek not too long ago. Now all I need is some memory cards (VUs?), PowerStone, Shenmu, and I'm all set. :LOL: VGA adapter would be nice, but IIRC, they're extremely rare.
You want to get Crazy Taxi.** It is still my favourite, not that I get any time to play. (Arghhh... now I can't get the song out of my head)

**Got a bit of a "blast from the past" a few weeks ago - Stansted airport has Naomi cabinet with CT in one of the satellite terminals.

>>The Dreamcast unfortunately was released too soon. GPU's released in 2000 were much,
>>much more powerful than the previous generation

The major different between 1998 ~ 2000 graphic hardware , is T&L unit.
Dreamcast release at 1998. It's impossable to equip true GPU(with T&L).
SH-4 is too weak at T&L.
Elan in the Naomi2 also drove two CLX2s instead of just the single one of DC/Naomi1.

No they wouldn't. Bottom line is that money and marketing talks in the games business and SEGA had neither. Your argument is a nonsense not only because you ignore those factors, but also because the Dreamcast had more technologically exciting, better-looking and better-playing games than the PS2 had at launch and beyond.

The machine was cheaper, the hardware was fine, the games were more than competitive... but SEGA just wasn't at the races in any other part of its organisation.

I have to agree with TEXAN regarding the power of the DC. Although some games looked spectacular like shenmue, the majority couldnt fair up well.

The best the DC offered visually were barely on par some of the early PS2 games although in terms fo gameplay they were awesome.

Ridge Racer for example had reflections, better lighting, and run at 60fps. The best the DC had then was Metropolis Street Racer. The best fighting games on the DC were Soul Calibur and DoA2.

They couldnt compete visually with TTT.

And also in general the PS2 could do so much more and multiplatform games wouldnt work well on the DC. I feel that because of that the devs ignored DC support.

I beleve hardware underperformance compared to competition fasten the DC's death when the PS2 was released but unlike Texan and like everyone else here I doubt the DC would have managed to live still.

Dreamcasts technology was fine, that was never the issue. In fact if anything it was before its time, built in modem, online gaming and LIVE like Sega portal. Sega were the first console developers to head along the road we are now at. Fact is Sega in the Dreamcast days never had the budget required and what money they did have, in Europe anyway they managed somehow to blow on Football sponsorship (at a time when it was grossly over priced). I remember getting a letter published in Sega Saturn Magazine where I said on the Dreamcast launch, that I'm sure it’s going to a short ride but the games will make it exciting. I think that’s how it turned out. Phantasy Star online, still one of the best online experiences I have encountered. Oh and Grandmaster, didn't you go to Sega the day the console was announced, I seem to remember a pic of you holding a wooden mock of the DC?

They blow money on football sponsorship ? Did Dreamcast ever get a good football game ? There was Virtua Striker 2 but I wouldn't consider it any good.

The Dreamcast pad didn't do it any good either. Missing a second analog and the d-pad was a stepback from Saturn pad. Should have base it from Saturn pad and add the dual analogs, bigger handles for balance and analog triggers.

Anyway, here are some underated DC games worth tracking.

- Maken X
- Record of Lodoss War

I essentially agree with the OP. The Dreamcast shows the dangers of a "tweener" system, late in one gen, but too early and underpowered for the next. Get caught at the wrong time and you're toast. Jaguar and 3D0 are two more good examples.

Although the Dreamcast wasn't nearly as greatly underpowered as the other examples. It was a combination of things. Sega didn't have the financial clout to push the system to success, but when they looked at the system and saw the competition the PS2 both perceived as and arguably in reality at least somewhat more powerful, and their decision was easy. If the Dreamcast had the technical clout to compete and beat PS2, then Sega's decision wouldn't have been easy.

And of course dont bring up the Wii, all systems prior to Wii existed in a "hardcore" only world and played by those rules.

They blow money on football sponsorship ? Did Dreamcast ever get a good football game ? There was Virtua Striker 2 but I wouldn't consider it any good.

The Dreamcast pad didn't do it any good either. Missing a second analog and the d-pad was a stepback from Saturn pad. Should have base it from Saturn pad and add the dual analogs, bigger handles for balance and analog triggers.

Anyway, here are some underated DC games worth tracking.

- Maken X
- Record of Lodoss War

VS2 was a great football game that felt realistic and arcadey at the same time.

It was much different than the football games we knew in feel that unfortunately would appeal only to hardcore gamers.

The DC controller was based on the Nights controller. I blame the hardcore Sega fans for that. Sega simply listened to them. A great deal of Sega fans were like TEXAN. Anything the Sega designed was overappreciated and claimed to be the "best" and unrivaled by competition. The Nights controller was one of them. The analog did wonders for Nights but everything else in reality was a disaster. These people praised that controller, exaggerated because of the PS1 vs Saturn history and wanted it for DC. Sega listened and came up with one of the most uncomfortable controllers in recent gaming history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back