World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

This is why sometimes I think it's better to have new patches/expensions two days later than US guys ;)

Strangely enough it worked fine on all EU realms (AFAIK), and Cataclysm was activated in the US about 10 hours (or thereabouts) after the EU realms.

This is why sometimes I think it's better to have new patches/expensions two days later than US guys ;)

Then again, we here in EU get the expansions earlier than US guys and didn't have the same problem

Strangely enough it worked fine on all EU realms (AFAIK), and Cataclysm was activated in the US about 10 hours (or thereabouts) after the EU realms.

In this case it's apparently some setting problems, not a program problem. However, in many cases serious program problems got sorted out in hours and we never saw them. Also, it's quite possible that after this "incident" on US servers it's very unlikely that the same will happen on TW servers because the cause is probably known by now.

On the other hand, this is the first time (IIRC) an expansion on TW servers is not delayed for a week or more (the two previous expansion was not released in the same week as the US). So who knows what could happen? There are still a few texts not translated from English, for example.

Done that one already! A 310% mount does help a lot.

Need to save some gold to get my flying speed up, tricky with the way that prices for things have plummeted recently. Hopfully that will reverse again now.

Still when I do get my flying speed up it will be with a Time Lost Proto-Drake :)

Need to save some gold to get my flying speed up, tricky with the way that prices for things have plummeted recently. Hopfully that will reverse again now.

Still when I do get my flying speed up it will be with a Time Lost Proto-Drake :)

I seem to be collecting gold at quite a rate; I've collected about 700G from quests / vendor trash with about 3 hours /played since cataclysm was released. I'm hoping that some of the stuff I made getting to 525 cooking will sell for the ridiculous price I've put it on the AH for; lots of alts doing the daily for mats + a chefs hat = 450 -> 525 cooking skill in under a minute, and a lot of spare food.

Of course, [What a long strange trip it's been] is the cheap way of getting 310% flying.

I got my TLPD after about 3 nights of trying for it, so I was pretty lucky (I know people that have spent months searching for it), and it is nice to finally be able to use it at 310%.

Of course, [What a long strange trip it's been] is the cheap way of getting 310% flying.
TBH, I'd rather take the 4000 golds kick in the nuggets than torture myself for a full year, getting all those idiotic holiday event achieves. Particulary the PvP ones.

Also, I've no pressing desire to own a pink dragon mount. :p

TBH, I'd rather take the 4000 golds kick in the nuggets than torture myself for a full year, getting all those idiotic holiday event achieves. Particulary the PvP ones.

Yeah, I got my first 310% mount from Ulduar. Then I got another one from the ICC. Then the purple one from the holiday events. And the last achievement I got for the holiday events is the bloody toothpick one. Yes, I failed to get a toothpick last year. The holiday events achievement is so dreadful that I don't want to do it again for another character.

I got at least the Long trip mount, 2 ulduars and I think 2 from ICC @ 310%
What I like the most now, though, is that I can choose whatever mount I want and it's 310% too

I seem to be collecting gold at quite a rate; I've collected about 700G from quests / vendor trash with about 3 hours /played since cataclysm was released. I'm hoping that some of the stuff I made getting to 525 cooking will sell for the ridiculous price I've put it on the AH for; lots of alts doing the daily for mats + a chefs hat = 450 -> 525 cooking skill in under a minute, and a lot of spare food.

I got my TLPD after about 3 nights of trying for it, so I was pretty lucky (I know people that have spent months searching for it), and it is nice to finally be able to use it at 310%.

Cool, I logged on a bit last night, leveled a Worgen warrio r(Wulfsige), never really played with Melee classes much before, it was quite fun. My only criticism was that your base of operations moves around quite a bit and their doesn't feel like their is much time to level your professions at all (with the result that when I finally got out of gilneas I had quite a lot of mats, fortunatly they seem to be handing out bags quite a bit, so I never had to drop anything).

I was not actually looking for TLPD when I got it, was waiting for Skoll, and NPCScan pinged me and (after nearly having a heart attack) I chased him down and got him.

Well, Cataclysm is pretty good, apart from all of blizzards bugs. At the moment, Varian Wrynn has despawned, making it impossible for anyone to start the twilight highlands.

Well godammit I'm still sutck downloading the new content.

I'm kinda proud that I still don't have a toon in WoW that has reached the level cap of the original WoW (ie. 60). What can I say?! I was busy getting my ass podded in EVE Online... and I haven't really recovered my MMORPG MOJO since then. Maybe now WoW levelling is so easy I'll hit the big six-oh...

Can anyone comment on the graphical improvements? This is B3D after all :smile:

The new water looks very shiny, lots of improved textures. There is a new D3D11 version, which looks exactly the same but seems to have a reasonable improvement in framerate. Sadly, it doesn't seem to work with eyefinity.

Also, level 85 \o/

Can anyone comment on the graphical improvements?
Texture rez and variety has gone up by A LOT.

Models are still atrociously blocky, even new stuff. Blizzard has pretty good modellers though, so the meager budgets are well spent. Blizz's texture and world designers are really really good though. Vasjir for example just looks crazy awesome when swimming through it. Only played that zone so far, and a little bit in hyjal. Haven't seen more than snippets of the other zones.

Some simple pixel shading tricks are used apart from the water and the godrays (which are quite fake, but looks great most of the time and don't really slow down framerates noticeably if you got a 4890 GPU running the show.) Mostly it's specular trickery, to make sunlit stuff more shiny. Like, the gold trim on the terrace around the temple of the moon in Darnassus, or cobblestones on the streets of stormwind, things like that.

Draw distance is pretty wicked at max level now.

Realtime shadows look okay, but performance sucks bad. REAL bad. WoW's 3D engine also doesn't seem to use draw calls very effectively. It's like each character, or even each armor piece becomes its own draw call... That's why cities lag so horribly, the CPU simply maxes out and framerate goes thru the floor. It's not network traffic that is the bottleneck. Maybe DX11 mode helps here, I dunno. I only have DX10(.1) gfx so far.

I read DX11 mode makes more stuff reflect in the water - like, your own character and various scenery doodads that don't show up with plain ol' DX10.

Blizzard bugs are epic btw. All NPCs in the final quest chain despawned, followed by me drowning INSIDE the submarine in Vasjir, and my body then got stuck inside it in a different phase, making it impossible to ress through normal means. Also, a doodad you're supposed to destroy refused to spawn on another quest, making two long chains unpossible to finish. And achievement on the zone requires 160 quests, but I've only found 144. Dunno where the hell the rest of them are...

I reached 82 1/2 just from that one zone though. Wind mushrooms won't come until 85 though. WTF Blizz! Why do you hate moonkin so much? :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Realtime shadows look okay, but performance sucks bad. REAL bad. WoW's 3D engine also doesn't seem to use draw calls very effectively. It's like each character, or even each armor piece becomes its own draw call... That's why cities lag so horribly, the CPU simply maxes out and framerate goes thru the floor. It's not network traffic that is the bottleneck. Maybe DX11 mode helps here, I dunno. I only have DX10(.1) gfx so far.

I tried to enable DX11 mode on a GTX 285. It sorts of works, but without water :p
I haven't compared between DX11 mode and DX10 mode about drawing call efficiency though. The best time to do that here is yesterday, when hundreds of people were waiting for Cataclysm in Stormwind...

I read DX11 mode makes more stuff reflect in the water - like, your own character and various scenery doodads that don't show up with plain ol' DX10.

This is basically the most significant visual improvement of DX11 mode. The default mode also has reflection, but it's wrong (generally you don't notice that, but sometimes it's very obvious). DX11 mode has mostly correct reflections and also refractions (i.e. you can see the underwater parts of things deformed by the waves).

Why would you need DX11 for "fuller" reflections? :oops: Valve did that on DX9 in their Lost Coast demo years ago... Is it just laziness/implementation choice, or is the WoW engine simply old, outdated and wonky and it couldn't be fixed any other way? :LOL:

No class/spec has any right to whine before us shadowpriests get our fixes which are now over 6 years late :devilish:
What fixes?

Shadow priest plays like a dream right now. I tried mine out in early vashjir and simply waded through mobs thanks to self-healing and shield. Essentially infinite health, AND infinite mana with the spirit tap glyph. Not that I need the glyph really as I never popped dispersion or shadowfiend even once, I could switch out the glyph for sure and never suffer. Just use my other mana regen skills every now and then.

The new graphic on the shadow orbs is pwn by the way. Now blizzard just have to stop the buff from expiring, like they did with druid eclipses. No mastery bonus should expire, that's just bad game design.

Back