[PSP] MGS Peace Walker

... and here's a slap in my face:

Japanese Gamers On The Most Interesting Games Of 2010 So Far:
http://www.siliconera.com/2010/07/18/japanese-gamers-on-the-most-interesting-games-of-2010-so-far/

Dengeki recently conducted a survey of the most interesting games released during the first half of 2010 in Japan.

01. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker PSP Konami
02. Etrian Odyssey III Nintendo DS Atlus
03. Xenoblade Wii Nintendo
04. Super Street Fighter IV Multiplatform Capcom
05. NieR Gestalt / Replicant Xbox 360 / PS3 Square Enix
06. Ar Tonelico 3 PS3 Gust
07. Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep PSP Square Enix
08. Lost Planet 2 Multiplatform Capcom
09. Super Mario Galaxy 2 Wii Nintendo
10. God Eater PSP Namco Band

... more in the link above.

Will have to force my lazy self to go through all the tutorials on my return flight.

I wish they had splitted up and embedded the tutorials into the gameplay itself, so that I can learn the skills as and when needed. Now it feels like studying for a quiz.

The big thing in the last years is (hardcore) gamers hating to have to do tutorials. If you want to make them optional however, you have to take them out of the story. Are these tutorials required? Or are they like optional virtual reality training?

I really want to start this game, it's just I know it'll take a couple of hours to get into it...I'm wondering about getting a TV lead and just playing it on TV instead - might help?

The big thing in the last years is (hardcore) gamers hating to have to do tutorials. If you want to make them optional however, you have to take them out of the story. Are these tutorials required? Or are they like optional virtual reality training?

I wasn't really paying attention :oops: it showed up before the game started, right after the intro theme.

I really want to start this game, it's just I know it'll take a couple of hours to get into it...I'm wondering about getting a TV lead and just playing it on TV instead - might help?

I have the original PSP. If you have a newer model, you should be able to plug it into the in-flight LCD and project your game there.

I'm in love with it. I think it picks up considerably faster than other titles, but that's because you're constantly dabbling in many of the games area's.

You start out w/the story ops, but then unlock a bunch of extra ops, which you can use to level up your other Soldiers in your Army to gain more GMP (which you can use for weapon / item development).

Then you start focusing on building your army, working up soldiers, and getting better stats for each team.

Toss in your story gameplay and it's a fantastic experience.

Some things I love:
-The Camo system is back (though a bit more simplified)
-The missions are fairly short, meaning it is PERFECT for portable play
-You can estimate how long it'll take an enemy to fall asleep based on the 'damage' counter (extremely useful)
-Ranking up weapons for further development is a great idea
-Skipping a cutscene has NO CONSEQUENCE. You can go back and watch them anytime you want, in any order, on demand. This is PERFECT for portable play. When I'm on a bus / plane, I can't listen to all the details, so I skip them, then come back and watch later. GENUIS.

The only thing I've found to be counter-intuitive is the cutscenes. While I love my metal gear story, these are a bit long, and for some reason I'm just not as interested as I should be. Still, the game itself is extremely compelling and it's bite sized missions keep me coming back.

Out of curiousity, does anyone have a PSP go? I'm thinking about getting one to try out all the PSP games coming out... but my main concern is PSP2 might be out soon.... any opinions?

Media Create: Japan Most Satisfied With Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker...
http://www.siliconera.com/2010/12/0...satisfied-with-metal-gear-solid-peace-walker/

Media Create does more than calculate weekly sales. They also compile satisfaction surveys for video games into useful data. Their title report card for games looks at three factors: expectations before playing a game (blue square), a satisfaction score after (red circle), and if a user will purchase the next title in a series (green triangle).

[chart]

This charts covers games released between January 2010 to the end of October 2010. According to the users they polled, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker had the highest user satisfaction. Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2 came in at number two and Hatsune Miku: Project Diva 2nd took the third place spot.

Out of curiousity, does anyone have a PSP go? I'm thinking about getting one to try out all the PSP games coming out... but my main concern is PSP2 might be out soon.... any opinions?

Thats the very reason I don't have a PSP uptill now.....every year I think it might come out this year and postpone my PSP buy :LOL: ! I swear, I have been thinking of buying the PSP since I saw KZ Liberation on it !

Well, there's no promise that PSP2 will be backwards compatible, I'd wait and see, or go ahead and commit now. The one thing you can bet on is the PSP2 being between at least $200 and $300 USD.

Well , with stories abound that GOW:Chains Of Olympus and Ghost of Sparta coming over in HD avatars to the ps3, I just hoe someone gets PEace Walker over too. Cos I played a few missions of Peace Walker on a friend's PSP and the game is awesome ! The game looks phenomenal for a PSP and will look ggreat on my ps3 in HD ! Please, Kojima, hire someone to do it, please !

(Off Topic: I noticed that the Sly cooper trilogy HD isn't really HD, in the sense it runs on 720p ! Weren't the ps2 GOW games running on 1080p? I was dissappointed when I saw 720p on the Sly trilogy !)

And 720p is HD.

According to Sony HD starts at 1080p :LOL: ! Anyways, I was under the impression that the GOW games were running at 1080pX60fps. 720p isn't much of a resolution leap to make people buy the games again !

Anyways, I just hope MGS:peace Walker comes over to the ps3, its too good to be a PSP only title !:p

720p isn't much of a resolution leap to make people buy the games again !
From PSP's 480x272 to 1280x720, a 7x increase, isn't much of a leap over 640x480 to 1920x1080, a 6.75x increase? And surely the point here is that the game becomes available to non-PSP owners, rather than being sold again to anyone who's already bought and played it on PSP.

From PSP's 480x272 to 1280x720, a 7x increase, isn't much of a leap over 640x480 to 1920x1080, a 6.75x increase? And surely the point here is that the game becomes available to non-PSP owners, rather than being sold again to anyone who's already bought and played it on PSP.

I was talking about the resolution increase from ps2 to 720p not being enough to re-purchase the games. ps2 to 1080p, yes, thats a big leap! As for PSP to 720p, of course its worth it :p! I would love PW on the ps3 anyday ! In fact, I am praying it happens soon. I was talking about the GOW games and the Sly Trilogy, which do not run on 1080p, as I had presumed, but on 720p. If u already have these games on the ps2, then 720p doesn't seem so exciting an increase in res to re-purchase the game !

I disagree. SD games look poop on large modern TVs. 720p native versions will be much cleaner and easier on the eyes.

I disagree. SD games look poop on large modern TVs. 720p native versions will be much cleaner and easier on the eyes.

Agreed. Especially on modern HD tvs which I think do a bad job with SD content unless they are upscaled for example through a PS3 or the Faroudja chip. SD games for some reason make it even worse!

Yes,but they still look good on the SDTVs ! I have the original GOWs, KZ , RnC and an SDTV lying in a corner. Whenever I want to play them I use the SDTV, because, as u mentioned, ps2 games look terrible on HDTVs. But they look sharp and crisp on the SDTVs !
I was just saying that asking me to re-buy GOW so that I can play on my HDTV does not feel worth it to me, if it is just 720p , as I get similar crispnes on my SDTV anyways. But if these re-makes were running at 1080p+high res textures, wel,, then I will sure give it a try.

I sure bought the Sly Trilogy, and am enjoying it a lot. but thats only because I have never played them before. If I already had it on my ps2, I don't see the need to re-buy for 720p.

It more of a luxury thing, I think, or for people who amass trophies. I am really happy that they r making these re-makes though, as I would have missed out on the wonderful Sly games otherwise.

Back