[PSP] MGS Peace Walker

Peace Walker to be "friendly" to younger audience:
http://www.siliconera.com/2010/03/0...ker-is-t-kojima-wishes-it-was-e-for-everyone/

What does that mean? No blood, but the game’s plot is still serious. Hideo Kojima explains more in a tweet.

“This time around we wanted to go for a ‘T’ rating since it’s on the PSP. There is no bloodshed effects so the younger crowd can enjoy it as well. But the MGS world and theme lives on. The script is seriously written…anti-nuke and anti-war with the nuclear deterrence theory as the backbone. Wish it could of been ‘E.’”

3 Famitsu editors played the full Peace Walker game and gave their impressions:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/03/25/famitsu_plays_peace_walker/

Editor Fujinocchi, who deals with Kojima Productions for Famitsu, visited took six days to clear the game. While admitting that, because of work, he was able to play straight from morning to night only two days out of that time, he wrote "the volume is without question the highest level for the series."

Editor Biora Makishima, who played the game for 50 hours, shared a similar view to Fujinocchi -- this is a true Metal Gear Solid series sequel.

Editor Gyaruson Yajou, who played for 31 hours, was impressed by the amount of voice in the game -- it's not a half job, he said. Similar to part 4, there are briefings prior to a mission. You can hear all the dialogue during these sequences. And they apparently talk a lot -- nine hours for just this part alone, it seems.

I feel a little cheated , u know. I had bought the PS3 for MGS 4. GOW, Uncharted, KZ2 were also on myind, but it was the magic of MGS that I didn't want to miss when it released. I don't care if MGS goes to the X360 too, the more people play it the merrier. But when my favourite Snake, the original Big Boss, goes away instead to a handheld.......then I do feel cheated ! WTF!
Thr fans spent so much to buy these next gen consoles to get more of Snake and he suddenly decides to make him exclusive to an old handheld device :mad: !
What kinda logic is that?

It's not like he hasn't been on PSP before.

I played the demo, and I have to say I really enjoyed it. I had to get used to the controls, but I won't let that be a big barrier, I think the game was well enough and seems to be a bit more "grounded" ala MGS3.

Konami had a Peace Walker press conference:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/04/07/this_weeks_furage_report/

Monster Hunter and Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker will feature in a big collaboration between Capcom and Konami. Monster Hunter mascot character Felyne (known as Airu in the Japanese series) will appear in Peace Walker to support Snake. Snake will also get to fight some major Monster Hunter beasts, with players teaming up via CO-OPS (cooperative play) for stronger beasts. Additionally, Peace Walker will inherit some staple elements from Monster Hunter, including the "well prepared meat," which will appear in Metal Gear as "well prepared rations."

In this week's issue, Hideo Kojima appears in an interview where he reveals that the collaboration was decided upon back at 2008's Tokyo Game Show. The Monster Hunter staff didn't know anything about the project. In fact, the Peace Walker monster recreations were all done by the Kojima Productions staff observing the Monster Hunter creatures with their eye. Kojima believes the Monster Hunter staff will be surprised with how closely the monster models have been recreated.

Live Blog:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/04/07/mgs_peace_walker_live_blog/

14:50 -- He's discussing the previously announced Vocaloid collaboration with Yamaha.

14:43 -- (4gamer is reporting that they've changed the genre for Peace Walker. Previous Metal Gear Solid games were Tactical Espionage Action. This time, it's Tactical Espionage Operation." It's meant to indicate the management part of the game, where you can experience being the battalion itself).

http://kotaku.com/5520907/metal-gear-solid-peace-walker-scores-famitsus-latest-4040

Japanese game magazine Famitsu has weighed in the latest Metal Gear Solid adventure, welcoming the new PlayStation Portable into the coveted ranks of game's bearing the publication's highest mark. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker has been rated 40/40.

Famitsu may enjoy one aspect of Peace Walker more than any other. The magazine is one of the real world products appearing in the heavily-sponsored game alongside Doritos, Mountain Dew, Axe body spray and rival Japanese game mag Dengeki.

PerfEct score ! Wow !
Must resist buying a psp. Really tight budget here :( ! Wish I could borrow a friends' psp, but no one's around these days.

Whats this about recruiting soldiers an stuff ? Whats the concept?
Also, does it have a seperate sp campaign or it is the same campaign which can be played in 4 co-op mode ?

Hope they release it later on the ps3 like those psp minis :) !

The soldier recruit mechanism sounds like an expansion over the one in Portable Ops. Basically, instead of killing enemy soldiers or keeping them in a closet, you can kidnap them and then wait for them to be brain-washed/convinced to join your army.

In Portable Ops, you can arm these soldiers separately (using retrieved weapons on the battlefield). They also play different roles like scientists, spy, etc. They will strengthen your army by leaking intels, invent weapons, etc. In a boss fight, if Snake fails, the second-in-command will take over until the top 5 soldiers all died. :^) So you really have to make sure they have good weapons and armor.

In Peace Walker, you can build a 300-man army (I think). Kojima would have refined the Portable Ops formula by now. On the enemy side, he added singing AI robots to the enemy mix. :)

I really liked Portable Ops. Now tracking PeaceWalker to see if it has any boo boo.

Do these soldiers fight alongside you?
Or is it like the number of lifes in Mario ? If snake dies you have 5 more continues ! :p

haven't played portable ops, so am not familiar with the concept.

They fight after their superiors failed.

The interesting thing is you can arrange your successors in some order to maximize your success. :) By the time the boss gets to the latter leaders, it should be relatively weak. ^_^

In Portable Ops, you had to carry your victim all the way back to the truck or to some drop-off points. In Peace Walker, it looks like they have this balloon retrieval system that allows you to send unconscious soldiers back to base right away.

No, that army will stay in the base. You recruit them to make you new stuff - gear, abbilities, etc etc and eventualy even a support for your SP campagn. Who knows if PW will also have that.

PW has main campaign [with various plauyer count, from 1 to 4], and A SHITTON of sidemisions that apparently unlock another SHITTON of stuff. [think of it as side missions in Crisis Core, short & sweet].

But just like in Portable Ops you can assembly a fighting team and send it into cyberspace combat where they will fight against other players teams. Ai vs Ai combat.

Eh... when I fought a Portable Ops boss, it tore through my top 5 soldiers (including Snake) though. If you still can't beat the boss by then, it's game over.

EDIT:
Come to think of it, the PSP MGS games don't usually have the extra long FMV fluff. So it's mostly PSP-specific gameplay throughout. That would explain why I like MG AC!D and Portable Ops more than other PS3 franchises on PSP. Didn't like GTA or Socom because the experiences are not that different from the PS3 version (but smaller scale).

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker could get a PlayStation Network release:
http://www.gamepro.com/article/news...lker-could-get-a-playstation-network-release/

"So after I had done the preview, [Konami] had a Q/A session with us to get our complaints/ideas about the game," PerLee reported. "Other than the basics, they asked what we thought about if they released it on PSN for the PS3 as well and had online multiplayer."

Nice idea, but if they leak it now, I'm going to hold off my Peace Walker purchase. :devilish:

User review from GAF:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21099270&postcount=344

duckroll said:
Completely finished the story mode finally. Total clear time is about 27 hours. Time to post some detailed thoughts on the game.

Peace Walker is definitely a major evolution in the MGS series. It is clear that in making Peace Walker, Kojima has reflected on what each major entry in the MGS series brought to the table - including Portable Ops. It's very interesting to see what he kept and what he removed from the MGS formula for this title, but ultimately many of the decisions were clearly the right ones. The game is leaner, yet more replayable, and just as entertaining and engaging as previous titles.

I'll get one thing out of the way: story-wise 90% of the cutscenes are comic style like in MPO. But this time they have much better direction and animation. The art is also vastly improved, with obvious contributions by Shinkawa himself in either the actual artwork, or in setting the art direction tone for all the scenes. There are also many interactive elements of the cutscenes, either in the form of allowing the player to move the camera and zoom on elements, or full blown action QTEs. The presentation is top notch, and everyone who enjoyed the cutscenes in MPO will be blown away by the PW ones. Those who didn't enjoy them at all though, well, I doubt it will change your opinion.

It's a pretty good user impression with no spoiler. ^_^

If only this game comes to PS3...

* Custom Vocaloid (Replace in-game singer's voice with your own voice):
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21163043&postcount=391

The editor seems to create a 512k file, which is sent to the NetVocaloid server which spits back around a 2mb file to download. I did it all through the in game Extras menus.

I managed to edit one of the songs and it came back with some horrendous alterations courtesy of me

It doesn't seem to give you the option to edit the melody, but only the lyrics. There's probably going to be some extra melodies available as DLC sometime down the line.

After you log into netVocaloid, edit a song, save it locally (roughly 512k file), send it to the server - wait about a minute or two for it to process, then download it (it should be saved under the data manager.)

I heard the Peace Walker bosses can sing. :)

* Online parties:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21170837&postcount=394

duckroll said:
WOW!

ADHOC PARTY :BOW

This has to be Sony's greatest invention since the PS2. Not only does it work REALLY well, but it's also so well implemented. There are tons of PW rooms on JP Adhoc Party, and it's pretty easy to get into a game or start a room and get help for harder missions.

I just played 2+ hours straight of various games. There was a 3 on 3 Versus game which lasted a few rounds before I bailed out due to sucking too much. Then I got into a game where some guy was hosting 4 player Extra Ops boss battles. We fought a metal gear, a super hard chopper (took 3 tries lol), and a tank together before the host left. Then I started a room to do Extra Ops 102 (hard hard APC) and one of the guys from the previous room joined. We tried to do it together, but it was just too hard, then another guy joined and the 3 of us rocked it! FUCK YEAH!

TACTICAL ESPIONAGE OPERATIONS! :D

Okay, while I'm stuck in a hotel waiting for my old iPhone to be jailbroke, I might as well post my very brief MGS Peace Walker impression on the plane.

I think Konami should have made this into a PS3 game. While the missions may be small, the overall framework is a little too heavy weight. I have yet to complete any mission because...

When I first started the game, it put me through a series of tutorials right away. The tutorials are nicely done but more complicated and tedious than I expected. After a few sessions, I simply turned off the PSP to watch the in-flight movies.

May be it will have better luck on my return trip... :devilish:

I wish they had splitted up and embedded the tutorials into the gameplay itself, so that I can learn the skills as and when needed. Now it feels like studying for a quiz.

Back