PS3 Slim Hardware Confirmed

It does confirm that the Wii is in a pretty heavy slump -- it's only selling as much as the 360. I imagine they're actually making a distinction between the DSi and the DSL?

Meaningless spikes. There are always spikes. there's nothing worth discussing until a few weeks on, if a sustained increase has been achieved or not. These sales-spike stories are otherwise about as exciting as talk of the sun rising tomorrow.

Really? Isn't comparing a 43% sales increase for the Xbox 360 following the price cut to the 1000% increase to the PS3 Slim launch - VERY interesting?

I think it's very interesting INDEED.

Where are you getting all this?

IF PS3 sales rose 1100% per the article, and 360 sales were 29% lower the week prior, then PS3 was outsold about 3-1 by 360 the week prior to the 1100% increase. And using the figures in the link, 360 sold about 1.6X PS3 two weeks ago (which probably would have been a "normal" week afaik).

Using absolute figures with two week ago Xbox=1, 3 week ago Xbox ~.7, two week ago Xbox ~1, and last week xbox=1.29. Thus we get the 43 and 29% Xbox raises in the article. For PS3, 3 week ago~.44, two week ago=.35 (20% decrease), and last week=3.87 (1100% increase, 3X Xbox last week).

Charttrack said there was a 20 % drop last week for PS3 and 43% increase for 360.

Anyway, these are the numbers I get:

Sales in the past three weeks (UK) approx (all from PS2 Slim sales):

PS3 Week 3: 41k (Slim launch)
PS3 Week 2: 3.7k
PS3 Week 1: 4.4k

Xbox 360 Week 3: 13.7k
Xbox 360 Week 2: 10.6k (Elite price cut)
Xbox 360 Week 1: 7.4k

Last edited by a moderator:
Really? Isn't comparing a 43% sales increase for the Xbox 360 following the price cut to the 1000% increase to the PS3 Slim launch - VERY interesting?
But Slim and the price-cut were being rumoured well in advance, and sales dried up as a result. It's only 1000% up because it was so much down in the first place!

We'll get spikes that amount to diddly-squat in the grand scheme of console sales. They make for headlines on slow-news days, but you can't make any worthwhile predictions about them, or real observations about the market. Especially with these silly relative weekly numbers. A 100,000% increase could mean all of 1000 units of something as popular as the Gizmondo!

But Slim and the price-cut were being rumoured well in advance, and sales dried up as a result. It's only 1000% up because it was so much down in the first place!

We'll get spikes that amount to diddly-squat in the grand scheme of console sales. They make for headlines on slow-news days, but you can't make any worthwhile predictions about them, or real observations about the market. Especially with these silly relative weekly numbers. A 100,000% increase could mean all of 1000 units of something as popular as the Gizmondo!

OK Shifty...I understand the emptiness of the 1000% thing - but I've just posted what the ACTUAL numbers are, from the percentages Chart-track gave.

PS3 Slim sells 41k in its launch week. That more interesting to you?

Or PS3 sells 3 times as much as Wii, Ds and 360 individually?

Why isn't that interesting to you? It should be if you're interested in sales. If you're not...then, well. Nothing I can do.

Nope, not interested. :p 41k sales is an increase of how much percent in the UK and world install cases? How much larger now is the market for developers? It's an inconsequential blip. What if the sales then drop to exactly what they were before the Slim rumours? It means this blip shows nothing. It's no indicator that demand overall is going to increase or not, only that some demand got pent up.

Nope, not interested. :p 41k sales is an increase of how much percent in the UK and world install cases? How much larger now is the market for developers? It's an inconsequential blip. What if the sales then drop to exactly what they were before the Slim rumours? It means this blip shows nothing. It's no indicator that demand overall is going to increase or not, only that some demand got pent up.

Deary me. 150,000 in Japan (higher than PS3 launch) and 41,000 in the UK...who knows what it is in Europe. I think it's pretty interesting.

Nope, not interested. :p 41k sales is an increase of how much percent in the UK and world install cases? How much larger now is the market for developers?
Japanese PS3 install base grew 4.5%ish within a weekend. It's like having christmas twice this year.

Deary me. 150,000 in Japan (higher than PS3 launch) and 41,000 in the UK...who knows what it is in Europe. I think it's pretty interesting.

It's interesting, but it's probably too early to try and analyze. Sony's not going to continue outselling everyone else 3-to-1, that's a given. They almost certainly won't go back to being outsold 3-to-1 either. Beyond that, will they settle ahead of the 360? Will the Wii get its groove back?

It's interesting, but it's probably too early to try and analyze. Sony's not going to continue outselling everyone else 3-to-1, that's a given. They almost certainly won't go back to being outsold 3-to-1 either. Beyond that, will they settle ahead of the 360? Will the Wii get its groove back?

I would tend to agree, if they can sustain a spike for 3 wks though things begin look promising with the potential to build on it with a big GT5 announcement at TGS and then U2 coming out a couple of weeks later. That could/would certainly give them good momentum going into the holidays. We'll see I guess.

As to this being newsworthy, had it launched with a thud we'd be wading thru the sack dancing posts right now.

Well its certainly made septembers NPD numbers more interesting, with the xbox360 + ps3 both getting a $100 pricecut, we could have the unique situation of the wii being 3rd for the month.

Leaks don't really equate with heavy publicity and an effective relaunch of the brand from Sony. Internet reports of a price cut won't slow sales as much as huge point-of-sale material advertising a new console. The stars are moving into alignment for Sony, I think. Sustaining the sales spike will all come down to the software and Uncharted 2 is just around the corner. Follow that up with GT5 and it's very much a case of "game on".

Well I got a Slim on the 28th (it was my bday and I needed a good techie gift for myself). It worked for 9 days. Then on the 10th day..nothing, nada, zip, it no worky! It would not power on. Nothing I tried worked (replaced power cord, tried different outlet, ect. Just no power (no LED indicators). Worse still is it had a netflix DVD still loaded (I got lazy the night before and shut it down with out ejecting the disk). The PS3 Slim was setup in the AV area and plugged into the same power supply, network hub and connected via HDMI to the same amp that my Xbox360 elite was plugged in but nothing else was broken.

I had me receipt and took it to my local Best Buy. Got a exchange and they were even kind enough to rescue the DVD so I did not have to tell netflix I lost their DVD :)

I think it's very interesting INDEED.
Is it? Probably just an indication that the 360 "price drop" wasn't a price drop at all.

Using the US numbers, before the "price drop" you could get a 360 for 199, 299 or 399. Most folks went for the 299. the 399 version is only for nerds ;)

After the drop, you can get a 360 for 199 or 299. The same price points as before. the fact that there's an increase _at all_ is interesting.

It's the same as all those previous PS3 "price drops" where they phased out the cheaper version, brought the more expensive one to the cheaper price, and then introduced a new premium model. It didn't change the price of entry, it just fiddled with the price/value ratio a little.

In this particular price drop, the PS3 got a real one. The price of entry dropped $100. A true price drop should always perform better than a value shuffle.

Wasn't there an actual price-cut in Europe? Though didn't the Arcade's price actually go up? It's all very confusing.

Got my slim.

Wondering if I should keep hold of my launch unit until there are scarce to make a killing on ebay, I'm sure the price for BC capable units will go up and up.

Back