PS3 Slim Hardware Confirmed

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=24981

The price cut and accompanying redesign of the PS3 is "resonating strongly with leading-edge male gamers," says OTX's Nick Williams, who adds that, on the other hand, purchase intent for the PS3 Slim has stayed flat among the general gaming audience, showing only a 2 percent increase between the weeks of 8/10 and 8/17.

"That said, there was a significant uptick in purchase intent among males who don’t own a PS3 or Xbox 360 (32% increase in purchase intent), male gamers who tend to influence their friend’s decisions (25% increase), and male gamers who play at least 20 hours a week of video games (15%)," says Williams.

"Perhaps the most important statistic for Sony is the increase in purchase intent among those who don’t like to spend a lot of money on video games (19%)."

The data may evolve further as the news of the price reduction continues to spread to the "outer edges" of the gaming population, but it's significant that "influencers" are on board along with price-conscious gamers.

Not sure how the study treats the Blu-ray folks. 3 people in my office dropped by to ask about PS3 Slim so far. They are all going to get it for Blu-ray mostly. One is interested in PSEye games for his daughter. The other is like me, a semi casual/core gamer.

I see many repeat buy though (2nd PS3). Probably not that good for Sony.

I see many repeat buy though (2nd PS3). Probably not that good for Sony.
As usual, if they sell their old unit used, it is good for the platform holder because it reaches a customer who otherwise couldn't/wouldn't want to afford a new one.

If they keep it for another room, that's probably not in Sony's interest of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=17293841&postcount=5551

Lots of pics of the internals.

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

EDIT: I will add the fan noise is considerably quieter than the fat ps3 you hardly even hear it on its 3rd speed,

The most important part of that interview, IMHO, is the confirmation that the PS3 Slim still incurs a loss per unit sold, as expected by many but questioned by some.

Even if they are losing money on each console they'll surely make that up with first time purchasers who get a second controller and a game or two, especially if it's a first party title (which is what Sony's trying to push this holiday season).

I think they're fine right now, and this time next year they will be on the road to recovery (rather, stability...recovering from overall PS3 losses is going to be pretty difficult).

Looks like what one would expect in terms of modest improvements in primary mobo/silicon, with obviously significant reductions in PSU and cooling. The PSU especially shows a huge reduction, as of course we have been speculating it would here for a while.

The component that probably most interests me though is the BD drive relative to previous gens, and on that point unfortunately it's hard to infer much from the photos. Hopefully more specifics and/or photos come out to that effect.

For you Canadians out there, Bestbuy has a Summer Evening sale going on right now (only for a few hours) so you can get $25 off a PS3 (or 360/Wii of course). Discount is only applied for online purchase (in-store pickup doesn't count) but they have free shipping right now anyway. Ordered myself a PS3 Slim for 302 shipped. :smile:
I was gonna wait a week after release to see if there are any initial problems with the Slim.... meh.

Close ups of components can be found here.

Cool, thanks. I would've liked if they showed pictures of the actual drive innards as they purport to have disassembled it, but ah well whatever. That photo does give a better angle on it though than what we had.

So the power supply is actually inside the machine? That's pretty cool, considering they are packing quite alot of power into such a small device compared to the original PS3 models which had an internal power supply system and the Xbox 360 which still has the 'ol giant brick ;) Plan on getting one of these slims soon, seems like a very good revision. Now we need to watch for long term quality as they are used and abused :) BTW the internals seem very beautifully designed. I think people tend to under estimate Sony's thermal management systems, as they seem very intent on preserving quality especially when the competition despite being very successful, is also known and prone to system failure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back