3D Gaming*

Pans always judder in the cinema ... even if it's stereoscopic it's still bloody 24 Hz per eye (with three repeats).

That's true enough, but 3D aggravates it. As if if the eyes have trouble locking onto a depth when it's in motion, kinda like how cross-eyed or stereogram images are hard to see at first before you lock on.

Got the chance to test other 3D TVs (panasonic and samsung).

I state it once again: 3D tech is just not ready imo!

either it is my personal fault (!?) or there are a lot of artefacts present...

@Patsu: where did you have the chance to test 3D gaming? I am in the US at the moment and really want to try it out...

What did you not like about the Panasonic set, other than the tight eye glasses ?

Hm, I don't think that this is actually related to a specific TV.

I watched a Pixar movie in 3D. It is ok when there are "slow" moving scenes. But in fast action scenes, I always had the feeling that something is weird: maybe ghosting, some kind of duplicated images...but it was not right in your face, rather a subtle but significant effect once I noticed it...so as I said, I am not sure if it is related to my personal perception?!

The glasses where ok, and did not impact me...but I just watched a couple of minutes. I am not sure if it was this specific set of glasses, but I had the feeling with the Panasonic that the scenes got a little bit dark when I put on the glasses, not sure if it is reality?!

But I really hope that I can test 3D gaming stuff!! Because my main interest is not watching 3D movies but playing 3D games if it adds some value to the game!!

But it could be that if I am not 100% certain that I may wait for better 3D tech...I don't want to buy 2000$ tech to have a new better tech reveal only a couple of month later!

The glasses where ok, and did not impact me...but I just watched a couple of minutes. I am not sure if it was this specific set of glasses, but I had the feeling with the Panasonic that the scenes got a little bit dark when I put on the glasses, not sure if it is reality?!

I think you need to watch a bit longer. At least I had similar issues when watching my first 3d movie. After a while the eyes(brain?) adjusted and I could enjoy the content instead of artifacts. Displays are not yet perfect(probably never will be).

The good thing is that source material in a sense is perfect and you don't need to rebuy movies when getting a new display. It's better to have 3d early adaptor phase now rather than in five years to future :)

That image through the tall grass on the Kotaku page is a nice example when post processing just won't work well.

I think you need to watch a bit longer. At least I had similar issues when watching my first 3d movie. After a while the eyes(brain?) adjusted and I could enjoy the content instead of artifacts. Displays are not yet perfect(probably never will be).

The good thing is that source material in a sense is perfect and you don't need to rebuy movies when getting a new display. It's better to have 3d early adaptor phase now rather than in five years to future :)

Hm, I tried it again...but it seemed to me that the Panasonic is way darker than for instance the Samsung...

Funny stuff, I was not aware before: when you are out of a certain distance to the TV, the glasses went of, thus no 3D effect any more?
It was not even that far away to be honest: can this be adjusted or is this a fundamental flaw?

Hm, I tried it again...but it seemed to me that the Panasonic is way darker than for instance the Samsung...

I was told earlier in this thread that the Panasonic Plasma has limited color space in 3D.

I find the 3D LED/LCD TV in a few BestBuy stores too bright. The ones in SonyStyle (Stanford Mall) was like that too but they toned it down later. I hated the Super Stardust 3D demo because it's very glaring. It caused my eyes to tear. Once they adjusted the lighting, the game became playable again.

Funny stuff, I was not aware before: when you are out of a certain distance to the TV, the glasses went of, thus no 3D effect any more?
It was not even that far away to be honest: can this be adjusted or is this a fundamental flaw?

Hmm.. how far did you stand and what demo did you watch ? Did you see the "Coral Wonderland" and some 3D artbook demo in the Panasonic 3D trailer ?

EDIT:
That image through the tall grass on the Kotaku page is a nice example when post processing just won't work well.

So will we aggravate the problem by introducing HUD in the tall grass scene ?

Metal Gears Arcade going for Location Test this weekend:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/07/28/metal_gear_arcade_location_test/

Konami updated the game's official site with notice of a location test that will be held from the 30th through the 1st at Adores Shibuya (yes, that's an actual arcade name) and Round One Yokoyama Station West.

The location test will unlock a previously undisclosed mode of play: "Mission Mode."

The game also still has its nationwide online team battle mode. And just for the record, it still seems to be 3D.

Those who make the effort to try out the game in advance be given 2,000 reward points for use in PS3's Metal Gear Online.

If you really mean go off, I don't know, but maybe you mean lose synchronization? Some of the shutter glasses have a problem that seems to be caused by reflections from the TV screen -- they lose sync. There is an easy fix: just cover temporarily the glasses' sensor with a finger, and sync is recovered. I hear (haven't tried it) that the loss of sync can be prevented by masking off part of the sensor with a piece of tape.

If you really mean go off, I don't know, but maybe you mean lose synchronization? Some of the shutter glasses have a problem that seems to be caused by reflections from the TV screen -- they lose sync. There is an easy fix: just cover temporarily the glasses' sensor with a finger, and sync is recovered. I hear (haven't tried it) that the loss of sync can be prevented by masking off part of the sensor with a piece of tape.

Hm, I cannot remember the distance exactly...but it was not so far away, if I had to guess I would say about 2-3 meter?!

And the glasses went off, I guess! You can tell it rather clearly, because when the glasses are activated, everything is much darker...and of course you have the 3D effect on screen, whereas in my case in a certain distance the glasses went off, it was light and I could see the double images on screen and no 3D effect...probably a malfunction in their setup?

Back