Should Nintendo or Microsoft adopt Blu-ray for their next console?

MDX

Newcomer
Yes or No and why?

Well we know Nintendo will eventually go High Def.
We know that Sony, and some developers, claim that DVD 9 limits the Xbox 360.

So what options do those two companies have?

DVD 18?
Holographic Versatile Disc (HVD)?
5D DVD?

Is it even necessary to drop DVD 9?

But there is another reason why Blu-ray might be an option.
If either system adopts Blu-ray wont they take sales away from the PS3 or PS4?

If the system gets a disc, it may well be BluRay. I wonder though if it will be feasible for the system to get the disc as an option, much like the HDD now on the 360, and have the basic system be online only.

There's plenty of AAA software delivered through PSN. Titles like GT5P and Tekken 5:DR even deliver video "on demand," so as not to bloat the initial download.

The current gen doesn't seem to have enough hardware resources to exploit larger disc capacities in a way that meaningfully impacts the game. Who knows what the next gen will be like, but looking at what my PC is capable of through Steams's sub-DVD9 capacity downloads, I don't think a big shot of RAM and bandwidth is gonna make a whole lot of difference to storage requirements.

If downloads could be made modular, so you can start playing after downloading the first 10% of the game, I'd be fine with no optical disc at all. Give the console a big hard drive (and the option to add on), and I'll be happy.

I don't see Nintendo adopting any blue laser ODD, their next console won't be powerful enough to need it. MS may go with BR or they may go with a proprietary HD DVD drive.

I think MS could skate by without it this gen but next gen they need Blu Ray (or other high capacity disc).

Nintendo, I dont know nor care, they dont do high tech.

Any non-disc solutions are still too tenuous imo. Not everybody will even ever have broadband (just like some people will always not have cable TV), so you dont want to exclude that 20, 30% of the market.

How important is it for Microsoft, possibly Nintendo to have their
next console be able to play Blu-ray movies?

Nintendo has a track record of bypassing the ability to play movies by way of DVD. So I dont see them too worried about that.

But Microsoft has a track record of allowing their consoles to play movies by way of disks. So to be the multi-media console that they want to be, can they afford to ignore those who would want to play Blu-ray movies on the next console?

How important is it for Microsoft, possibly Nintendo to have their
next console be able to play Blu-ray movies?

Nintendo has a track record of bypassing the ability to play movies by way of DVD. So I dont see them too worried about that.

But Microsoft has a track record of allowing their consoles to play movies by way of disks. So to be the multi-media console that they want to be, can they afford to ignore those who would want to play Blu-ray movies on the next console?

As everyone agrees, Nintendo can get away with not carrying it easily. First of all they have a record of not supporting movie formats and thus, the consumers' expectations with regard to that is not an issue for them.

Secondly, their new console will probably be on a level with PS3, X360 at max, performance wise. Thus, their assets should fit on a DVD9 derivative quite easily.

Microsoft has to balance its decision quite well, though. Do the want the additional bullet point of having BR playback? How much more sales would that generate? Or do they want to stick with a download service structure for HD movie?

I think a lot of those questions really depend on BR market penetration by the time of the X720 release. Plus, how expensive BR player will be by that time, etc.

For Nintendo I would suspect they would support an HD-DVD format because they hate piracy so it wouldn't have media available and they prefer to have a quiet unobstrusive console and HD-DVD would give them the higher density to get a much faster data delivery rate at a relatively slow rotation speed.

For Microsoft, its hard to say! :D Though with their support of digital downloads and simplicity of keeping pirates away I suspect HD-DVD as well. They already have a relationship with Toshiba as they make their Zunes for them and they had a deal with HD-DVD already.

I say no optical media at all next gen. Easily could do 2TB hard disks and all digital distribution. No one wants to have to get up and switch disks, listen to them spin, wait on the horrible access times, and be locked in to a fixed capacity limit. Pretty pointless unless you care about retailers, or don't have internet access (in which case you are "next-gen" anyway).

I say no optical media at all next gen. Easily could do 2TB hard disks and all digital distribution. No one wants to have to get up and switch disks, listen to them spin, wait on the horrible access times, and be locked in to a fixed capacity limit. Pretty pointless unless you care about retailers, or don't have internet access (in which case you are "next-gen" anyway).

Not exactly a viable solution since ISP's don't have the capacity to support massive game download services yet, and not every consumer worldwide has reliable services either. It's likely the reason why Sony offers disc solution for some of their PSN games in Asia and Europe.

Even when such a solution is available, I very much doubt that publishers won't set a limit on game sizes because of various distribution issues. HDD size being one and publishing games that are 30GB+ won't be cheap.

There will naturally be increased digital distribution in the next gen for sure, but we're still some way off from it being 100%.

BD drives will be faster and cheaper by the time next-gen consoles roll out so it's safe to assume that MS and Sony will go that route. Nintendo on the other hand may stick to DVD-9's.

Isn't there another option of some proprietary removable storage device that isn't an optical drive?

What about going back to carts? Perhaps save some console cost by increasing the game cost by offloading some of the hardware to the cart? I dunno, just asking.

Especially if you're only talking about reaching the 20% or 30% of the market that doesn't have access to digital distribution. Let's face it, most of the market that the 360 sold to and was able to get its lead over the PS3 had access to digital distribution.

In fact, has that 20% or 30% of the market that we're even talking about that wouldn't have access to digital distribution in 2 years even purchased a 360 or PS3 yet at this point?

Especially if you're only talking about reaching the 20% or 30% of the market that doesn't have access to digital distribution.

It's likely much less than 20-30%, and I did include consumers in the west with decent but not fast connections (there is a lot of them out there). My point is, with current ISP infrastructures that aren't likely to evolve immensely in the next 2-3 years, can you honestly say that there are enough consumers on any market who would welcome a 100% digitally distribution of games for their consoles?

I love the perks but I won't be able to download a 5-10GB or more game fast enough without any hitches. Unless I spent another $25 per month on a better service that is.

I doubt Nintendo will, they like proprietary technology.

MS?, bleh.. they probably will, they're boring and predictable like that.

I'd also love to see a non-disc based system next gen as well. I just like the idea of the cart storing the save with it. I'd like to see DS like carts but bigger, maybe 16 gig flash carts. Imagine 10 gigs reserved for games while the 6 gigs reserved for DLC and save files. Now all the patches and whatever garbage can stay exactly with the game it was designed for instead of being shoved into a harddrive.

It's likely the reason why Sony offers disc solution for some of their PSN games in Asia and Europe.
Europe overall has much better broadband coverage than US overall, since Europe is much more densely populated.

That said, there's no way it's feasible for non-physical media distribution in just a few years' time. Besides, games retailers would be rather miffed too.

Europe overall has much better broadband coverage than US overall, since Europe is much more densely populated.

That said, there's no way it's feasible for non-physical media distribution in just a few years' time. Besides, games retailers would be rather miffed too.

Plus that some countries do not have access to a PSN store and in addition to the fact that PSN cards are not available in EU or ASIA I belive. And since not everybody got a creditcard to buy on PSN store, a disc version is probably a good idea.

This thread really needs a Poll added to it.

Back