What current generation console do you have?

What current generation console do you have?

• PS3

Votes: 29 30.5%
  • XBox360

Votes: 19 20.0%
  • Wii

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • PS3 and XBox360

Votes: 26 27.4%
  • XBox360 and Wii

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • PS3 and Wii

Votes: 10 10.5%

• Total voters
PS3 and Wii. Had all three, but the 360 died on me twice, and I got tired of it. I dont play FPS's on consoles, and thats the 360's primary type of games it seems. Most popular anyways.

[x] PS3 and Wii

Plus a DSlite. The PSPgo announcement also finally pushed me over the edge to purchase a PSP 3000.

360 ownership

I haven't seen the original article, but after reading the Seattle Pi's summary mentioning (at the very end) that some 36% of owners with failures have purchased an additional machine (possibly seeking the higher reliability promised by Falcon or Jasper machines), the size of the 360 market shrinks from ~31 to ~25 million.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/microsoft/archives/176741.asp

Does anyone have access to a nice chart showing the past 2 years of console sales by month?

All the data there is from the Game Informer survey, though, and we don't know how the survey was conducted to even have a clue as to how accurate it is.

All the data there is from the Game Informer survey, though, and we don't know how the survey was conducted to even have a clue as to how accurate it is.

That is all true, but surely you admit that the possibility of a significant portion of one console's growth being taken up by essentially "replacements" to be intriguing at the very least?

That is all true, but surely you admit that the possibility of a significant portion of one console's growth being taken up by essentially "replacements" to be intriguing at the very least?

Well, maybe, but I think down that road lies madness. People could likewise say that x% of PS3 owners have it only for BRD (as joker repeats over and over) and that the 20-something-million install-base is effectively much lower. Without real data to discuss we probably should try to avoid leaping to conclusions.

Who do I have to bribe to be able to vote in polls ?
Or do I not have enough posts ?

I have all three, X360/PS3/Wii

Well, maybe, but I think down that road lies madness. People could likewise say that x% of PS3 owners have it only for BRD (as joker repeats over and over) and that the 20-something-million install-base is effectively much lower. Without real data to discuss we probably should try to avoid leaping to conclusions.

The actual number of console owners is important information for publishers, obviously. As RobertR1 has pointed out, the lower number of 360 owners makes the game sales in that market even more impressive. And I agree that there is a significant portion (size unknown) of PS3 owners who primarily use the console for watching Blu-rays, but I would not agree that these characteristics are directly comparable: in one case there is a potential customer for games (or other content), in the other the customer does not exist.

I haven't seen the original article, but after reading the Seattle Pi's summary mentioning (at the very end) that some 36% of owners with failures have purchased an additional machine (possibly seeking the higher reliability promised by Falcon or Jasper machines), the size of the 360 market shrinks from ~31 to ~25 million.

The old console doesn't just magically disappear though. I for one bought another one and sold the old one and that old one is still getting used. I don't think many people bought another one and then just stashed the old into a closet never to be used again. The active market size is very hard to measure, surely there are launch X360 that are now outside of the three year warranty and are not going to get fixed, there's bound to be some people that have just stopped using the machine for other various reasons and so forth, but most of the broken units have been fixed and are still in use despite new console purchases by the same owner.

Does anyone have access to a nice chart showing the past 2 years of console sales by month?
I can make one for the US only if that helps.

2mhv7e1.png

edit: please disregard the "PS2" reference and double showing of Xbox 360 in the legend, I totally messed that part up. The turquoise plot shows Wii sales as intended, and the black one is PS3.

Last edited by a moderator:
So going by that, the 360 software numbers go from great to simply mind blowing. Right?
If they were great to begin with. Sales of day-and-date multiplat games indicate that PS3 owners and Xbox 360 owners have been buying software at exactly the same rate this whole generation. That is, if you divide sales of a game on both platforms by respective LTD hardware base, the two numbers will end up close.

For a while it was easy to pretend there was something special about Xbox 360 software sales, simply due to PS3 versions falling below top 10 cutoffs while Xbox 360 versions still made it in, but with PS3 LTD share approaching Xbox 360 LTD share ever closer, that's becoming more rare with every passing month.

So basically, if the story is true, Xbox 360 software sales go from completely average to good.

I can make one for the US only if that helps.

2mhv7e1.png

edit: please disregard the "PS2" reference and double showing of Xbox 360 in the legend, I totally messed that part up. The turquoise plot shows Wii sales as intended, and the black one is PS3.

That's pretty cool, but which Xbox line should I be looking at?

That's pretty cool, but which Xbox line should I be looking at?
Green:=Xbox 360, blueish:=Wii, black:=PS3. Had systems in inconsistent rows in different sheets and forgot to adjust them all for the legend when I c&ped another graph to use as a starting point.

Back