Battlefield 3 announced

I really haven't had a problem with suppression since the patch. I have no clue what the big deal is!

Even played a bit of metro yesterday and it was fine there. Are we playing the same game?

This thread sucks recently btw. :) I know I'm not helping.

The problem with suppression as a whole is that it was designed to be a weapon specialization you enable. However, suppression is on by default now. So you can suppress while you shot even though you selected a different specialization. We have a few specializations to choose from: suppression, cover, sprint, grenade, ammo, flak, explosion. Then there are the same options for your squad.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem with suppression as a whole is that it was designed to be a weapon specialization you enable. However, suppression is on by default now. So you can suppress while you shot even though you selected a different specialization. We have a few specializations to choose from: suppression, sprint, ammo, flak, expl. Then there are the same options for your squad.
The suppression spec increases the effect. Suppression has always been on by default in some manner in BF3.

The suppression spec increases the effect. Suppression has always been on by default in some manner in BF3.
No, it wasn't which is why we are seeing this change. The point being is that the game was designed for us to use suppression when you chose the suppression specialization option. No different then you can run slightly faster when you chose the sprint specialization. And the same goes for all the other specializations. The point is that suppression is only needed if you choose the specialization for it. No different then any other specialization. However, now, we get suppression "free" and are still able to choose another specialization. I'm seeing plenty of suppression ribbons/medals, etc now then before the patch and I've not select the suppression specialization for my weapon. That to me, is the problem in a nut shell.

No, it wasn't which is why we are seeing this change. The point being is that the game was designed for us to use suppression when you chose the suppression specialization option. No different then you can run slightly faster when you chose the sprint specialization. And the same goes for all the other specializations. The point is that suppression is only needed if you choose the specialization for it. No different then any other specialization. However, now, we get suppression "free" and are still able to choose another specialization. I'm seeing plenty of suppression ribbons/medals, etc now then before the patch and I've not select the suppression specialization for my weapon. That to me, is the problem in a nut shell.

No, you can still run when you don't have the sprint option. You still have a frag when you don't have the frag spec, etc.

You could suppress other people in the ALPHA/BETA before any unlocks had come.

Suppressive Fire specialization increase the effectiveness of your suppressive fire effect. Players you shoot at will experience more scree blur and experience it sooner. Unlocked at level 18.

No, you can still run when you don't have the sprint option. You still have a frag when you don't have the frag spec, etc.

You could suppress other people in the ALPHA/BETA before any unlocks had come.

Lets make it clear then. If you want to run a little faster you use the sprint specialization. Running is already part of the game. Running faster then those who don't have the sprint specialization isn't. Therefore you select that option to do so. Get it yet? If not, I have another one for you. It's call grenade specialization. Although you get a grenade when you spawn if you want more you select that specialization.

Which brings us to suppression. If you want to suppress other players and get achievements for it you use the suppression specialization. You shouldn't be getting ribbons and other awards for suppression when you don't use the suppression specialization.

You already believe there was some sort of suppression without the specialization before the patch (per your post). When you didn't select the suppression specialization you didn't get ribbons, medals etc for suppressing others. And you didn't cause other player to have complete random deviation and blurred vision. Which to me was correct. Selecting the suppression specialization as it is now adds nothing vs choosing another specialization. This allows me the benefit of 2 specializations instead of one. This isn't because you can select 2 different specializations. It's because suppression is on by default now which allows me to choose another specialization.

Lets make it clear then. If you want to run a little faster you use the sprint specialization. Running is already part of the game. Running faster then those who don't have the sprint specialization isn't. Therefore you select that option to do so. Get it yet? If not, I have another one for you. It's call grenade specialization. Although you get a grenade when you spawn if you want more you select that specialization.

Which brings us to suppression. If you want to suppress other players and get achievements for it you use the suppression specialization. You shouldn't be getting ribbons and other awards for suppression when you don't use the suppression specialization.

You already believe there was some sort of suppression without the specialization before the patch (per your post). When you didn't select the suppression specialization you didn't get ribbons, medals etc for suppressing others. And you didn't cause other player to have complete random deviation and blurred vision. Which to me was correct. Selecting the suppression specialization as it is now adds nothing vs choosing another specialization. This allows me the benefit of 2 specializations instead of one. This isn't because you can select 2 different specializations. It's because suppression is on by default now which allows me to choose another specialization.

You are just plain wrong on this. Why would suppression spec be the ONLY spec where you gained the ability to do something you couldn't do before? You can run without sprint, you can throw a grenade without frag, you can survive explosives without flak, you can go into cover without cover, you can carry ammo without ammo spec. In your world, suppression is the only thing you cannot do without the spec. It is not true.

What is true is that suppression has been beefed up after the patch.

You are just plain wrong on this. Why would suppression spec be the ONLY spec where you gained the ability to do something you couldn't do before? You can run without sprint, you can throw a grenade without frag, you can survive explosives without flak, you can go into cover without cover, you can carry ammo without ammo spec. In your world, suppression is the only thing you cannot do without the spec. It is not true.

What is true is that suppression has been beefed up after the patch.
Saying I'm wrong and then make this post which doesn't make sense isn't a good counter argument. You question the validity of the specialization feature in the game however, you must acknowledge it's existence. We don't need a suppression specialization if it's "always on" in game. No different then any other specialization that is allowed to remain on at default. If you want to suppress you use that specialization. No different if you want to sprint faster, have more grenades, get more ammo, etc :D

Saying I'm wrong and then make this post which doesn't make sense isn't a good counter argument. You question the validity of the specialization feature in the game however, you must acknowledge it's existence. We don't need a suppression specialization if it's "always on" in game. No different then any other specialization that is allowed to remain "on". The point is very clear here. If you want to suppress you use that specialization. No different if you want to sprint faster, have more grenades, get more ammo, etc :D
Suppression spec: bigger suppression effect. You could always suppress enemies even without it.

Suppression spec: bigger suppression effect. You could always suppress enemies even without it.
Using the suppression specialization would easily provide you suppression. All you have to do is select it as your character's specialization. Not as a specialization that's always on at default leaving you the option to choose another specialization instead. That's why we have specializations. So you can do specific things in the game. ;)

Using the suppression specialization would easily provide you suppression. All you have to do is select it as your character's specialization. Not as a specialization that's always on at default leaving you the option to choose another specialization instead. That's why we have specializations. So you can do specific things in the game. ;)
Sigh.

http://battlefield.wikia.com/wiki/Suppressive_Fire
http://battlefield3tips.net/battlefield-3-suppressive-fire-specialization/

So your arguing for the futility of it then :D. I think you should understand by now that we are going to agree to disagree. It's clear you don't have a problem with it now. It allows you to select more then one specialization that otherwise wasn't available before this patch. I see if for what it is and want specialization aspect to return back to the way it was. If you want to use a specialization then you have to select it. Although I can suppress and sprint, suppress and use more ammo/grenades, etc now (get suppression ribbons, awards, etc) I don't think it was intended that way. At the very least I wasn't able to play that way before the patch.

So your arguing for the futility of it then :D. I think you should understand by now that we are going to agree to disagree. It's clear you don't have a problem with it now. It allows you to select more then one specialization that otherwise wasn't available before this patch. I see if for it what it is and want specialization aspect to return back to the way it was. If you want to use a specialization then you have to select it. I don't think it was ever intended to allow us to use more then 1 specialization.
This isn't a matter of opinion. Suppressive fire exists in BF3. You can gain suppression assists without the suppression spec. You gain more effective suppressive fire if you take the spec, making it easier to gain assists and thus awards because the effect lasts for longer. This is fact, no matter how much you wink at me.

This isn't a matter of opinion. Suppressive fire exists in BF3. You can gain suppression assists without the suppression spec. You gain more effective suppressive fire if you take the spec, making it easier to gain assists and thus awards because the effect lasts for longer. This is fact, no matter how much you wink at me.
You're not making much sense. It's not suppression that's part of the game but specializations. Suppression comes from specializations and therefore should return to being a specialization. But at least we are making progress here. You do imply that suppression is no longer a specialization (even though its still currently found as a specialization).

You're not making much sense. It's not suppression that's part of the game but specializations. Suppression comes from specializations and therefore, should return to being a specialization. But at least we are making progress here. You do imply that suppression is no longer a specialization :razz (even though its still currently found as a specialization).
Don't put your inability to understand how the spec system works on me. I am done with this. You can continue with your delusion.

Don't put your inability to understand how the spec system works on me. I am done with this. You can continue with your delusion.

Like I said earlier, the best we could do about this subject is to agree to disagree. Suppression should return to being a specialization again. IMO, selecting one specialization per kit is more then enough to play the game.

ECH. Sorry, you are wrong on this. Suppression was always there. It's effect has simply been magnified since this patch to the point where people actually notice it now (which in my personal opinion is great). It's not a subjective thing, it's just a fact that the suppressive perk simply increased the suppressive effect that was already there, and it still does this, post-patch.

You could still get suppression ribbons and suppressive fire bonuses without any perks at all, both before and after the patch. Only one thing has changed, and that is the degree to which the suppressive fire affects your vision and aim.

It's funny to hear DeF still moaning about it on Teamspeak most evenings... as he is laying waste to all and sundry and stealing all of my MVP ribbons... You'd think the rest of us would be the ones with something to complain about.

In my mind suppression has gone from something that was next to useless to an actual viable mechanic, as it was seemingly intended to be from the outset.

This thread still sucks a bit, but if you look back you can easily pin it on Davros. :D :p The dirty troll doesn't even have the game, yet he wades in here causing arguments.

ECH. Sorry, you are wrong on this. Suppression was always there. It's effect has simply been magnified since this patch to the point where people actually notice it now (which in my personal opinion is great). It's not a subjective thing, it's just a fact that the suppressive perk simply increased the suppressive effect that was already there, and it still does this, post-patch.

You could still get suppression ribbons and suppressive fire bonuses without any perks at all, both before and after the patch. Only one thing has changed, and that is the degree to which the suppressive fire affects your vision and aim.

It's funny to hear DeF still moaning about it on Teamspeak most evenings... as he is laying waste to all and sundry and stealing all of my MVP ribbons... You'd think the rest of us would be the ones with something to complain about.

In my mind suppression has gone from something that was next to useless to an actual viable mechanic, as it was seemingly intended to be from the outset.

This thread still sucks a bit, but if you look back you can easily pin it on Davros. :D :p The dirty troll doesn't even have the game, yet he wades in here causing arguments.
I think you're mistaken. Magnifying the suppression is fine as long as it's part of the specialization package. Although even then it still can be toned down by decreasing it's duration, remove/reduce the random deviation and require more then 1 bullet to cause the effect. You don't need it on by default making the specialization for it useless. Take a moment and watch this video using the LMG ( a few months ago). As you can see there are plenty of LMG and handgun ribbons but no suppression ribbon :smile:.

The specialization should be enabled in order to get those ribbons/medals and suppress. This is all I'm trying to say here. I understand you like it but, you should enjoy choosing that as part of your character's loadout in order to get it's effect. Take a look at this thread discussing the issue of suppression a few months ago. Again, people were complaining about the lack of suppression. So it wasn't fine before the patch. They've done some extensive research and complied a video about it.

Is there any reliable way to keep Origin from hammering my HDD constantly? It's not that I have anything to hide, it's that I can easily tell when Origin is trolling by how much slower my computer gets.

I guess it doesn't much matter to me that Origin uses more than 4 times the RAM as Steam, since I have enough RAM to where is doesn't matter (4GB) but still. It's incredible how bad Origin is.

Back