Battlefield 3 announced

I have nothing against adding optional VOIP to BF3, but lets not use VOIP on Xbox live as an example of a pleasant experience... in *any* respect ;)

What part of the XBox Live VOIP do you not like? Is it the quality of the general Game VOIP Codecs? Is it the quality of the Party VOIP Codecs? Or is it all the prepubescent players shouting you can do without?

I'd like to see him play like that on servers with FF on. Patch or no patch, FF off = spam hell. throw in 64 player metro = spamalicious.

What part of the XBox Live VOIP do you not like? Is it the quality of the general Game VOIP Codecs? Is it the quality of the Party VOIP Codecs? Or is it all the prepubescent players shouting you can do without?
All of the above. Poor quality on all codecs, excessively high latency and no one I want to talk to on there anyways; I'll take Mumble with friends any day ;)

Advanced metro tactics: suppression.
Its really sad what they have done.
Hahaha. The problem is metro though, not the patch. It's a totally stupid map even pre-patch. As discussed earlier in the thread, people pretty much already only played it to farm XP anyways. Now at least hopefully it'll be quicker for them so they can get back to playing the actual game ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
The new patch has made shotgun slugs worthwhile again (think BC2). That is at least something.

These are piss poor reasons. Voice chat works amazingly well on Live. BF3 is ass backwards. No BS excuses needed.

How is it piss poor excuse? When You will have two people from team turn on voice communication, how its reliable system? Trust me, most people will turn it off and use theirs communication servers. BTW Bad Company 2 had Voice Chat on PC, now launch it and see how many used it :)

The only game i have ever used ingame voice chat was Counter Strike Source and only on well known server where people were using it daily.

Podcast with Demize99.
Interesting discussion on the last patch.

Also another link showing broken mechanics of the suppression.

Suppression - Getting Shot vs Getting Shot At.

The problem i have with suppression after patch is that its promoting less skilled players going full auto on me vs my burst firing on them. When i meet enemy ingame and fire first burst at him (burst that hits the target) he instantly goes full auto and i get suppressed to hell. The outcome is that i cant hit him at all but he will eventually kill me with his high ROF weapon. Normally being able to shot first and hit was advantageous but now it seems its actually better to miss first few bullets and deprive your opponent of accuracy.

Advanced metro tactics: suppression.

Its really sad what they have done.

Heh, a perfect example of why too much realism isn't good in some gametypes.

From a reality standpoint, the suppression mechanic for the LMG in BF3 is superb. A hail of bullets is deadly. Hence people get out of the way, find cover, etc. And hence in real life it hampers the enemies ability to effectively assault your position. Charges into suppressive fire in real life = dead. Popping out to return fire = chance of being dead.

But since it's a game, it's not like the players have the choice to go around it. And in something like that Metro map, it just creates nice suicide corridors for the opposition. Especially if ammo can be replenished. Combine that with the ability to respawn and you have lemmings running to the slaughter.

Fantastic example of why LMG's and suppressive fire is so effective in the real world. Unfortunately, with none of the drawbacks in game. Weight (gun and ammo), setup time, potential overheating of the barrel, limited pool of ammo that isn't easily replenished depending on the combat situation, etc.

Regards,
SB

Accuracy has nothing to do with suppression fire as a real life tactic.

It's the presentation of a very real and potentially deadly threat.

Just like in real life if you charge down a corridor that is being fill with suppressive fire you are quite likely going to be mortally wounded or at the very least suffer incapacitating injuries.

Inaccurate does NOT mean non-lethal. Suppressive fire with a handgun within optimal handgun range is only less lethal due to one reason and one reason only. You can't fill the air with quite as many bullets.

BF3 just shows that when properly implemented in a game, it isn't particularly fun. Especially when you consider...

No friendly fire. Well that's another drawback removed from ones I mentioned above.

In real life, people will take cover, they only have one life to lose. And hence accuracy is automatically reduced when returning fire. In games, you just respawn, hence there's not as much instinct to avoid taking potentially lethal damage. Hence you have the artificial mechanic to mimic real life situations by lowering the accuracy of anyone in the suppressive fire.

Then again, people in computer shooters are also insanely accurate compared to real life when under fire, so I guess that balances out somewhat and restores suppressive fire back to somewhat accurately reflecting its effects in real life.

And at the end of the day, isn't that part of the Battlefield series appeal? Is that it attempts to more accurately portray real life than some of its competitors? Suppressive fire has always been something that hasn't been done well by any game. This appears to come pretty close, but still has some flaws. But that's mostly due to a compromise between gameplay and realism (where one bullet doesn't result in a takedown in most situations regardless of where it hits you).

The Metro map is just really bad for exploiting suppressive fire. But then any situation where you can funnel the enemy into suppressive fire chokepoints leads to a slaughter. Just look at WW I and WW II for many examples of such.

Regards,
SB

BF3 just shows that when properly implemented in a game, it isn't particularly fun.

How do you know ? considering that bf3 does not properly implement suppressive fire

is that what you took from the video "this is suppressive fire done right" while eveyone else and the point of the video was "this is suppressive fire done wrong" ?

I maxed out all classes now. Level 42 or so.

But last rounds I play...just don't make fun?!?

Reasons:

- I only get into uneven games (typically you join the dramatically losing team. it is possible to switch teams...but what is the point in playing in the dominating team?)....there simple are no close games anymore...which ultimately means: no fun.

- I do try RUSH mode...but so far, I just don't get into it. Somehow the maps are not well suited for it...I'll have to try more to see if I can get into it...

- There are way to many snipers out there. Don't get me wrong, I did play a lot of sniper, but I really was not interested in camping and sniping..I run around and go into close combat with my fire from the hip sniper. As a sniper, I also captured lots of flags...and there we have the problem: as a sniper, you only get additional points when you camp and pull out some long shots. All the gadgets as a sniper are fundamentally flawed and useless. Especially the SOFLAM, which is often a game-changer, is not used...as you simple don't get points when using it (my newest theory: you only get points, when marking a vehicle that could be hit by the Javelin without the soflam, all other stuff don't get you points). So in other words: to get lots of points as a sniper...you are forced to not play for the team! All your gadgets are useless for you...so as a pure ego type, you don't use them although the team really needs it (again SOFLAM). Furthermore, camping in the distance makes it hard to capture flags and help the team out. Hence, the implementation of the sniper class is fundamentally flawed, not a real BF class, not a team player class. Furthermore, sniping is way to easy in the distance.

- Spawn points are broken. There are really situations, where I spawn three times in a row and get insta killed. Not fun, not cool...classic: spawning directly infront of an enemy soldier. Poblem is, that this then forces you to spawn in the base...which really kills all the momentum of your team attack.

- There are some inconsistency while playing the game. My feeling says that the net code in BF3 is really weird. Although I have good ping, it often feels super laggy which I don't understand. For instance: I am under fire. Run away, get into cover and really am in cover, not in the sight of the enemy...but I can see that I still get hit, seconds after I am in cover and die. This is really weird, but this inconsistency in the net code ultimately kills the fun.

- It is difficult to find good servers with map rotation. Heck, I have the feeling that I only play the same three maps over and over again. Half of the server are grinding servers like Metro and Bazaar.

Good thing: BF is still a team play game. I realize it, when I play alone. I don't make kills, difficult to get flags. But playing along with a buddy, in teamspeak...some mild coordinations and you can really have an impact in the battle.

And at the end of the day, isn't that part of the Battlefield series appeal? Is that it attempts to more accurately portray real life than some of its competitors? Suppressive fire has always been something that hasn't been done well by any game. This appears to come pretty close, but still has some flaws. But that's mostly due to a compromise between gameplay and realism (where one bullet doesn't result in a takedown in most situations regardless of where it hits you).

Absolutely not. The appeal was I could drive a jeep off a cliff parachute to the bottom climb in an airplane fly out to a ship and parachute again since landing was a pain. Then start driving a ship around. That isn't realistic.

Davros, what's your BF3 nick? I was under the impression you didn't even play.

You should join us for a game. Sounds like you enjoy PTO. :p

I dont, in fact BF2 was the game that stopped me playing online, I could just not believe the level of assclownery on display

Back