[360, PS3] Crysis 2

It's being a lot of time since I played the first game but I recall seeing something like OMB on Shepard when running but haven't noticed anything at the other characters, moving objects e.t.c....also didn't know that there is an UE3 engine based game that has OMB, hopefully Epic will add this to Gears of War 3.

Was sometime ago I played ME1 to but your character, car and perhaps more had OBM.

EDIT: Saw this shot from trailer at Crymod by a user. Looks nice!

http://img9.abload.de/img/clipboard-4zozc.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Was sometime ago I played ME1 to but your character, car and perhaps more had OBM.
Yes he/she does.
Also the thing is in ME2 the fastest object you'll ever see is your own character sprinting :LOL:
So that explains why you don't notice the motion blur on other characters/objects.

I'm fully convinced the game will look like that on 360, but I still want to know where the "360 version" cite comes from for the new Marine Salvage trailer?

I mean, it labeled as such on non official-Crytek youtube channels or IGN means pretty much zilch, and the trailer itself doesn't say (shows PC/PS3/360 logos at the end).

Still looks hella hot though. I'm not entirely convinced it's the absolute best looking console game but for me it's at least clearly the best looking FPS.

Are they going to be able to maintain those pretty high resolution particle buffers on PS3?

Looks decent but Crysis 2 in my opinion, definitely isn't the best looking fps game on consoles..

It looks great, but I agree that it's not the best looking shooter let alone console game. At least what was shown so far. But we all have our opinions.

Crytech gave a nice talk at HPG about their tech and where they see future development going. Unfortunately, I arrived late and was no good at taking notes :(

Here, I took all these shots from the trailer. The only thing I adjusted was the gamma (was set way too high for some reason). This game really has some of the most realistic lighting I've ever seen:
http://www.abload.de/img/vlcsnap-2010-06-28-21ho6zj.jpg
http://www.abload.de/img/vlcsnap-2010-06-28-21hj6sz.jpg
http://www.abload.de/img/vlcsnap-2010-06-28-21hf6hw.jpg
http://www.abload.de/img/vlcsnap-2010-06-28-21hb575.jpg
http://www.abload.de/img/clipboard-1967e.jpg

Yeah I dont get why Crytek has said in several presentations now that not much visual differentiation can be done for the rest of this generation...then produce games known primarily for their visuals :LOL:

Crysis 2 does have colliding particles
Notice the spread of the smoke/dust cloud through the grate and over the edge? And then how it collides with the plant island and bends around it?
Shouldn't be nothing more than soft particles to prevent clippings...beside the sparks disappear in thin air instead of bouncing :p
Also, you can see motion blur in that GIF as well... From a console version video.
Where ?
and wind-effected particle physics
Or maybe it could be just a scripted effect, ie. they are just designed that way to move/float left. Kinda like how KZ2's smoke made from explosions etc move eventhough there's isn't a proper wind system in the game in the first place

Shouldn't be nothing more than soft particles to prevent clippings...beside the sparks disappear in thin air instead of bouncing :p

Well I expect consoles to have certain amount of particles colliding. Cant see why as it isn't expensive. The particle is built up with main emitter and child emitters and some of the child emitters can have collision detection in any combination (terrain/static/dynamic objects collision), simple physics or rigid body physics. I mean with Crysis a dual-core is barely taxed besides all the rest it has to handle in complex scene with 400+ sparks all colliding with simple physics with terrain/static/dynamic object collisions. Collisions with dynamic objects being something very costly since dynamic objects changes position so ray casting has to be extensive to update object position.

But each particle has applied emitters bounciness value, friction vaule, gravity value etc (tons of settings). Let's see what they enable and use.

layouto.jpg

I also see the bullet impact creates a light or so it seems in that small gif. :)

Yeah haven't seen any OBM.

Or maybe it could be just a scripted effect, ie. they are just designed that way to move/float left. Kinda like how KZ2's smoke made from explosions etc move eventhough there's isn't a proper wind system in the game in the first place

If it is like Crysis games then it is simple x/y based wind direction system but effects can also have 3D air turbulence effect. The turbulence effect is dynamic.

And I predict that Crysis 2 will use half resolution buffers as well (IIRC even Warhead used lower res buffer for explosions atleast and that was on PC).

It scales with resolution IIRC to a certain point but never below 1280x720. However some explosion textures are just low-res textures and are used for some larger explosions so they are stretched. Bad design choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I honestly couldn't see too much difference in regards to the 1/4 res vs full res particle buffer especially in the midst of a battle. I'll take the long lingering, vast quantity 1/4 res particle any day, the overall visual impact is much greater imo.

Folks, barring the fact that the game is not even out, such game comparisons are not for the Games forums. The bickering can go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and not get anywhere for a ``Game`` discussion. "My favourite game does this. That game does that. I accept this, I don't accept that. This is realistic, this isn't. I like their choice blah blah". Hardly the type of technical discussion if it were to be in the tech forums even (the last example doesn't even consider artistic decisions).

And a reminder to newer posters that gifs should not be img-tagged. We are a discussion forum, and making everyone wait for gifs or large images to download (or slowing down the webbrowser) is not particularly conducive to this. There is a specific stickied thread if you'd like to show off such things.

Well. just came here to say that after watching the Salvage trailer, I think Crysis 2 lacks the artistic sense that AAA games are supposed to have. I am not commenting on tech, but the environments , th emechs, the alines shown are devoid of any character or individuality that lend a "look" to a game!
It did not floor me, Wow me or tease me even to see more.

I love you Crysis, i am coming back to you. Your sibling doesn't look like you at all T_T !

If the PC version is delayed I'd guess the real reason is piracy prevention. Preventing people with gaming PC's from pirating it day one rather than buying the console versions.

Only the PC version's getting delayed? well that's weird...I still can't find anything confirming this.

I'm curious to see if Crytek will have proper playable demos of both console versions this time at Gamescom...:rolleyes:

I couldn't find anything about Crysis 2 PC version being delayed. Dont think I saw it either at Crymod (Cryteks own modding portal).

Back