PSP Go

patsu;1342489[b said:
* Tethering - Allow PSPGo to go online via Bluetooth to your cellphone[/b]

that's cool. especially if you have 3G. but dont most phone companies still have very low caps? i could see DLing one or two PSP games putting you close or over the cap. :cry: maybe enough ppl will do it, get some crazy overcharge & complain; could help them change cap policy.

I think Verizon and AT&T have 5Gb/month cap for data plans that allow tethering.
oh they must have upped it. i remember verizon being like 1GB a year or so ago; part of the reason they got in trouble for advertising "unlimited".

Not a big fan of conspiracy theories, but I keep puzzling over Sony's (mostly SCEA and SCEJ) attitude towards the PSP Go! In SCEA they scrapped any idea of a trade-in program and don't even have plans for an equivalent to the plan SCEE is offering. In Japan, they're cutting the 3000's price almost at the same time the PSP Go! is being released. There's also talk about a 4000 in the works. It seems to me like they're not terribly concerned over its fate, that they're sending it to die.

So I wonder; could the Go! just be an excuse to heavily push same-day DD releases? Would they be able to convince retail partners of the need to have all their titles available for DD on PSN?

How is the sceen on the go? Better than PSP-3000?

Also, can you use any USB headset for sound and Skype?

How is the sceen on the go? Better than PSP-3000?

I think it's mostly the same, though apparently you don't see the interlacing stuff as much (hearsay) and because the screen is slightly smaller, it also looks sharper.

Also, can you use any USB headset for sound and Skype?

No, but any bluetooth headset.

Can't you install UMD games to Memory Sticks?

You're better off buying UMD games because you can always sell them after you're done with them, recover some costs.

If UMD games cost less, esp. since Amazon doesn't collect sales taxes, it's a no-brainer.

Comparison of PSP Digital Download prices with Amazon:
http://www.siliconera.com/2009/10/01/psp-digital-download-prices-compared/

It's too painful to format. So you'll have to see the list in the link above. Many titles are listed.

Yeah, if you add it all up PSN comes out about 30% cheaper across the board. I didn't realize so many games had become so rare as to command such high prices for new versions. It would be interesting to see someone do the same comparison using average used prices from multiple sources and factoring in shipping where applicable. But that would be a good bit of work. But it would be nice if there were some actual data behind claims of whether or not digital download pricing is out of line with the UMD market.

Actually, I decided Siliconera.com's methodology was a bit suspect in that they only chose new game pricing from Amazon. I did my own research, instead looking for the best price, new or used for a subset of titles from Amazon, Buy.com or Gamespot. I've published the results on my blog. See the numbers there:

http://www.gamerblahhhg.com/?p=83

The upshot is that used UMDs are slightly cheaper on average. There is a mistake in my statistical analysis, though. I probably should have used the download price for the Prinny game in both columns. Digital download made up a lot of ground there as that game remains very expensive even used. On the other hand I was using a "best case" standard for the used prices so it would be easy to see those being a bit higher on average in the real world.

Something I also realized while looking at this is many of the negative reviews out there for the PSPgo (*cough*Ars Technica*wheeze*) like to frame the PSP-3000 as a best of both worlds device. With the 3000 you get comparable battery life (when playing from memory stick) AND access to better prices on used UMDs. What they fail to recognize is you don't actually get both those things at the same time. If you chose to save a couple dollars by buying UMD you have to deal with higher load times and less battery life. To use some familiar terminology, these are PSP-3000 benefits that don't stack.

There's also the idea that these download prices have to reflect the cost of new software rather than old, budget titles. It's setting a precident. If everything up there at launch was $20 as a budget download, people would expect that to be the price of games. Many buyers wouldn't appreciate that they are discounted old titles, and when new titles launch at $40 they'd think the price was ridiculously high as, after all, they've bought (old games) GoW and such for $20!

It is perhaps disappointing that the savings from not having a physical media aren't being passed on, but I guess there needs to be some price flexibility for stores to sell codes at competitive prices, instead of absolutely everyone buying straight from PSN.

Has anyone done a similar comparison of iTunes albums versus second hand CDs from a car boot sale at £1 each...?

Has anyone done a similar comparison of iTunes albums versus second hand CDs from a car boot sale at £1 each...?

Ha! No, but no one hates iTunes with quite the vigor certain parties hate Sony!

I think you're right about the prices being intended to reflect a fair "new" price for each title. But it's a pretty fluid and dynamic situation. I think savings on shipping and distribution ultimately will be passed on to consumers on PSN in the form of relatively quick price reductions and Steam-style weekend sales. Sony can create a greatest hit line for the PSP without having to do a complete repackaging, so that kind of adjustment should be possible far more quickly.

Yes. They've done as much on PS3, although much more in NA than the EU it seems to me. We seem to get less deals by my reckoning.

What about Europe, how are data plans there?

Around 25 Euro for "unlimited" which is 10GB and then most providers throttle the download speed. Some just kill it.

Regarding PSP-GT, if i buy it via the PS-Store, does anyone know how many times it can be downloaded, on the same account of course. Mainly thinking about the problem with upgrading Memsticks and having to download stuff again.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/sony-pspgo-sales-in-line-with-expectations

Sony has told GamesIndustry.biz that sales of PSP hardware are up over 120 per cent in the UK, following the launch of the PSPgo.

"PSPgo has performed in line with our expectations, driving 100 per cent incremental volume for the category and has benefited the broad PSP portfolio with PSP-3000 also enjoying a big lift," said SCEE in a statement.

Update: Sony has clarified that sales of the PSP hardware are up over 120 per cent compared to the previous week. The PSPgo sold as many units as the PSP-3000 during the period.

EDIT: GAF has a nice PSPGo FAQ here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=17878144&postcount=1

Back