New Sony phone works with PS3, PlayTV News and movie dowload service (PlayNow Arena)

Crossbar

Veteran
Read about this in the news papers yesterday.

The brand new Sony Ericsson Aino touch-screen mobile phone allows remote control of PlayStation 3 media, including support for recorded PlayTV content if you live in France, Germany, Italy, Spain or the UK

It works just like the PSP, then, and bosses the bigger console around over local and internet connections.

a_med_aino.jpg.jpg

You will be able to access your photos and music stored on your PS3 as well.

Eurogamer also doesn´t mention is that Sony next week will introduce a film download service (PlayNow Arena) for mobiles with large screens. The user will be able to downlad 60 movies per year for free, the movies will be encoded to only work on the Sony Ericsson mobiles. You can read about it here.

I wonder if the download service may be a spin-off from the PSN. Anyway accessing the PS3 from the phone is clearly the type of product integration Stringer encourages.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now give me my Remote Play iPhone app!

This is a great start. Streaming music, videos and hopefully photos from your PS3 with a consistent 3g connection. In Europe, take it one step further, you guys have PlayTV. I wonder if future products will have their own native PS Store app, etc.

This is a great start. Streaming music, videos and hopefully photos from your PS3 with a consistent 3g connection. In Europe, take it one step further, you guys have PlayTV. I wonder if future products will have their own native PS Store app, etc.

Yeah, it has a pretty sweet feature set.

It´s nice that it offers both keyboard and touch screen.

aino_s.jpg

Maybe I´m worth a new mobile for christmas, I better behave. :)

With Android it would have been an instant buy..

Sony Ericsson has an Android mobile in development. The last rumour I read was that they will pass on the current android spec and release a version according to the upcoming spec, effectively passing on the firs generation of android mobiles. Though I doubt the android spec allows them to incorporate a proprietary PS3 connection.

I am not paying much attention to Android mysef before I know what the subscription deals look like. The lock-in deals of the i-phone was a complete turn-off for me. Sure I like high-tech stuff, but not just to any price.

Sony Ericsson has an Android mobile in development. The last rumour I read was that they will pass on the current android spec and release a version according to the upcoming spec, effectively passing on the firs generation of android mobiles. Though I doubt the android spec allows them to incorporate a proprietary PS3 connection.

I am not paying much attention to Android mysef before I know what the subscription deals look like. The lock-in deals of the i-phone was a complete turn-off for me. Sure I like high-tech stuff, but not just to any price.

I read about it, still looking to find some hard facts fyi the 3 flavours of android:

http://androidguys.com/?p=5314

The obligation-free option: Handset makers are able to load Android with as many apps as they’d like except for official Google titles like Gmail or Google Talk

The small strings option: Just like above except the handset makers sign an agreement to load Google apps on the handset.

The bigger strings option or the no-censorship version: These phones have the “with Google” logo on the handset and include a range of Google apps. These apps are not removed by the carrier or the handset maker and there will be zero limitation in the Android Market.

Not sure if what Sony is doing with this new Phone could actually be done with android as the OS

Why would they not be able to make a propietary PS3 connection?

And what, by the way, makes you so sure that the PS3 connection is proprietary? ;) Mind you it probably is, but Sony seems to be working towards making a lot of things a more open standard, like the PSN store.

But who wants that? Its nice you can stream everything and all but there are a few drawbacks to say the least.

1. No provider is going to have you constantly stream your video and music. Most providers in Holland will seriously lower your speed and strart sending you letters is you keep using more than 500mb ~ 1000mb a month and we probably have the more relaxed rules in europe.

2. Buffering. You want your music and video in HQ, not going to work streaming unless you dont mind constant waiting which I doubt anyone wants. Especially listening to music.

3. Battery life. Phones like the iPhone, HTC etc already have a short battery life when not making too much use of the hardware. Constant 3g and playback of audio/video means you'll have to charge it like 3 times a day or dont mind walking around with a bulky phone because of the large battery.

4. You need to have a ps3 and it needs to be one all the time probably.

5. That ps3 needs to have all your media (or your pc, but in that case you need both on all the time).

Ofcourse all the above could easily be solved by just putting in a large amount of flash memory.

I'm more interested in this phone than PSP Go. Large amount of persistent memory sounds good.

RemotePlay is nice but can be more useful if it allows me to copy files from my PS3 to the PSP remotely. My PS3 is hooked up to the home file server, so all my personal media is accessible.

Or better yet, open up RemotePlay so that people can run RemotePlay on regular PCs too (e.g., via an update to the Playstation Media Manager software)

They should indeed open up Remote Play to PCs, so you can access your content including Remote Play games, anywhere. They'd also better serve everyone if your PS3 data could be stored on a secure Sony server, for distribution from there instead of needing the PS3 on 24/7. As it is, the server options of PS3 are marginalised that you either buy into the system whole-hog, or steer clear, and most people will do the latter.

PSN needs to be a content server service, not a PS3 application.

But who wants that? Its nice you can stream everything and all but there are a few drawbacks to say the least.

1. No provider is going to have you constantly stream your video and music. Most providers in Holland will seriously lower your speed and strart sending you letters is you keep using more than 500mb ~ 1000mb a month and we probably have the more relaxed rules in europe.

2. Buffering. You want your music and video in HQ, not going to work streaming unless you dont mind constant waiting which I doubt anyone wants. Especially listening to music.

3. Battery life. Phones like the iPhone, HTC etc already have a short battery life when not making too much use of the hardware. Constant 3g and playback of audio/video means you'll have to charge it like 3 times a day or dont mind walking around with a bulky phone because of the large battery.

4. You need to have a ps3 and it needs to be one all the time probably.

5. That ps3 needs to have all your media (or your pc, but in that case you need both on all the time).

Ofcourse all the above could easily be solved by just putting in a large amount of flash memory.

Most providers do put a limit on the service, but it´s high enough to fullfill the demands for streaming music and video to a normal user.
With 1mbit streams the demand for buffering should be at a minimum really. Battery is of course an issue, if a phone needs a recharge more than once in a day it´s a problem. Didnt remoteplay support lower power consumption now? And most modern PC´s can enter a low power stage.

The main problem is 3G coverage and steady connections :)

I checked the availability on that page. It's only sold in Brazil in continent Americas. What the hell...
[Throw stones at AT&T, Verizon and of course Sony-Ericsson]

There is a tweeked American version as well:
http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/corporate/products/phoneportfolio/specification/saraa#

Still it only adds some more South American countries, but I wouldn´t get to upset yet. It´possible that some network is still discussing an exclusivity deal and may want to brand it. I don´t know.

Back