T4

With respect to Reese, I always figured the timeline was just immediately screwed. The original John who sent him back is not the one that was conceived in the movies. :runaway:
Hmm, maybe what we seen was already a "iterated" version?
First time, no Terminator sent back and no wreckage was found, the robots were rather stupid. Still they sent back a robot which boosted the research, getting smarter robots beeing sent back next time.

If you have no problems accepting timetravel, then the first Terminator movie should be one of the most consistent movies featuring it. Well, maybe not answering why the resistance-figther cant take a literal assload of weapons with them :LOL:

The second movie is quite bad tough, for the reasons noted in that link and some more. Highly advanced robots is one thing - a energy-source and an AI beeing contained in a homogenous blob of metal beeing able to morph into skin, hair and clothes at will is something different.

Hmm, maybe what we seen was already a "iterated" version?
First time, no Terminator sent back and no wreckage was found, the robots were rather stupid. Still they sent back a robot which boosted the research, getting smarter robots beeing sent back next time.

If you have no problems accepting timetravel, then the first Terminator movie should be one of the most consistent movies featuring it. Well, maybe not answering why the resistance-figther cant take a literal assload of weapons with them :LOL:

The second movie is quite bad tough, for the reasons noted in that link and some more. Highly advanced robots is one thing - a energy-source and an AI beeing contained in a homogenous blob of metal beeing able to morph into skin, hair and clothes at will is something different.

If time travel is possible in these movies then I see little reason why some type of liquid metal wouldn't be feasible.

Well I didn't think too much of this move. It's an ok popcorn action flick, but it's definitely not a quality film by any means outside of the SFX..... It's a bummer to see the potential of this series once again not be realized. I thought the story was not all that great and that the direction/characterization was definitely lacking....

Biggest no-likes:
-The end fight in the factory wasn't very gripping because they continuously threw T1 & T2 references in, and in not so creative ways. Disjointed and sloppy. I was entertained by CGI Arnold though lol. I was very impressed with how good that looked.
-Giant terminator Transformer which even sounded and acted like a Transformer. Terminator motorcycles?
-Military bases out in plain sight when the enemy controls the planet with superior forces. Oh and lets also throw in a big, noisy air/ground battle at HQ when the enemy is watching and ready to annihilate you. And let's do some regular radio broadcasts right from HQ too.
-Attacking Skynet base and only running into a handful of Terminators? right.
-Infiltrator Cyborg guy with a chip to control him that didn't control him at all
-Skynet's base having a human-oriented control center with screens and control panels. Doors with control panels?
-Sound effects that reminded me too much of Transformers. music that made it feel like I was watching Batman or Chronicles of Riddick instead of Terminator. Elfman used themes that sounded, to me, a lot like those two movies mixed with Terminator industrial themes. I just miss Brad Fiedel's soundtracks.
-Bale as John Connor. Didn't need yet another replacement actor. Didn't like his performance either.
-Michael Ironside was cast for the wrong kind of role. Heh.
-Ignored the TV show completely. Lost opportunity to tie the two together somehow, IMO.
-All of the main characters were forgettable. New Kyle Reece and Marcus were most interesting, but could've been used much better. All of them could've been developed better.
-Yet more shaky cam although it wasn't too over the top.

Liked:
-Continuity with most of the established Terminator tech.
-Special effects were really well done. ILM just doesn't mess around. Good CGI and live action.
-Credits had "in loving memory of Stan Winston". That was a great touch. Stan was such an influence on the look of classic sci-fi of the '80s and '90s.
(I think just about all there is to like about this movie is some of action sequences)

It was fun to see Terminators on the theater screen again, but this movie just didn't do it for me or my friends that were along. One thing that is particularly poor about how the series has gone is how there have been so many different actors/actresses portraying the characters. I just can't connect with them anymore. They should've used the TV series people. Or T3 people. It's a shame that the TV show got canned. It was just getting interesting. I suppose that with how lacking most of season 2 was that the reasoning for dropping it is pretty obvious....

Last edited by a moderator:
I seem to remember reading somewhere at some point that the T-1000 was sent through time by enveloping it in a fleshy "container". Yum :) It's not in T2, but probably some comic book or movie info book. I was a big T2 buff back when it was the hot new thing and read lots about it and was very briefly into a comic or two.

Well I didn't think too much of this move. It's an ok popcorn action flick, but it's definitely not a quality film by any means outside of the SFX..... It's a bummer to see the potential of this series once again not be realized. I thought the story was not all that great and that the direction/characterization was definitely lacking....

Biggest no-likes:
-The end fight in the factory wasn't very gripping because they continuously threw T1 & T2 references in, and in not so creative ways. Disjointed and sloppy. I was entertained by CGI Arnold though lol. I was very impressed with how good that looked.
-Giant terminator Transformer which even sounded and acted like a Transformer. Terminator motorcycles?
-Military bases out in plain sight when the enemy controls the planet with superior forces. Oh and lets also throw in a big, noisy air/ground battle at HQ when the enemy is watching and ready to annihilate you. And let's do some regular radio broadcasts right from HQ too.
-Attacking Skynet base and only running into a handful of Terminators? right.
-Infiltrator Cyborg guy with a chip to control him that didn't control him at all
-Skynet's base having a human-oriented control center with screens and control panels. Doors with control panels?
-Sound effects that reminded me too much of Transformers. music that made it feel like I was watching Batman or Chronicles of Riddick instead of Terminator. Elfman used themes that sounded, to me, a lot like those two movies mixed with Terminator industrial themes. I just miss Brad Fiedel's soundtracks.
-Bale as John Connor. Didn't need yet another replacement actor. Didn't like his performance either.
-Michael Ironside was cast for the wrong kind of role. Heh.
-Ignored the TV show completely. Lost opportunity to tie the two together somehow, IMO.
-All of the main characters were forgettable. New Kyle Reece and Marcus were most interesting, but could've been used much better. All of them could've been developed better.
-Yet more shaky cam although it wasn't too over the top.

Liked:
-Continuity with most of the established Terminator tech.
-Special effects were really well done. ILM just doesn't mess around. Good CGI and live action.
-Credits had "in loving memory of Stan Winston". That was a great touch. Stan was such an influence on the look of classic sci-fi of the '80s and '90s.
(I think just about all there is to like about this movie is some of action sequences)

It was fun to see Terminators on the theater screen again, but this movie just didn't do it for me or my friends that were along. One thing that is particularly poor about how the series has gone is how there have been so many different actors/actresses portraying the characters. I just can't connect with them anymore. They should've used the TV series people. Or T3 people. It's a shame that the TV show got canned. It was just getting interesting. I suppose that with how lacking most of season 2 was that the reasoning for dropping it is pretty obvious....

I actually enjoyed it as an average entertaining summer flick, but I agree with pretty much all the points you made, except I liked the big robot and the bikes, despite how little sense they make. I thought the effects and execution made those action scenes pretty fun to watch. The ending though was completely lacking. It was kind of boring. It needed a bigger bang. As much as Terminator 3 also had huge problems, at least it had Arnie to kind of carry the movie when he could.

The terminator vs terminator fights in 2 & 3 were much more interesting. I also thought the new one should have had the big battle scene everyone was expecting. The opening of Terminator 2 is the reason why people wanted to see a future Terminator movie, but they never had a battle on that scale.

I also pretty much agree with Swaaye's assessment. I liked the movie because I am a fan of the universe, but I can't help but feel disappointed because the movie didn't realize it's full potential.

Also, the movie seemed kind of "low budget" to me. I'm not sure if the visual style makes me feel that way or what, but I thought the terminator models looked like crap (T-600 particularly).

Also, the movie seemed kind of "low budget" to me. I'm not sure if the visual style makes me feel that way or what, but I thought the terminator models looked like crap (T-600 particularly).
Yeah I was a bit thrown off by the big T-600s in the movie. They actually reminded me of the Doom2 chaingunner guy ;) I like the T-600s shown in flashback sequences on the TV show better. They look like T-800 infiltrators but with rubber skin just as Reece described in T1.

While I was watching the movie I was thinking that the people behind the set designs just didn't quite know how to make the world look. Not as much a budget problem as just lacking inspiration or some such.... The movie also had a look to it that reminded me a lot of sepia toning. I didn't like that much.

The T-600's are kinda of supposed to look like crap. Empire magaize had a piece on this and I was susrpised that it wasn't outlined more in the movie. T-600's are supposed to be prosthetics based, but the skin looked to artificial which is why they went to develop the T-800's; I think the only time we really saw a T-600 though, it was already pretty beat up anyway. I think the article also mentioned that the Skynet base wasn't just capturing humans for imprisonment but also harvesting them for their skin for the T-800's - something else that wasn't really outlined in the movie.

The T-600's are kinda of supposed to look like crap. Empire magaize had a piece on this and I was susrpised that it wasn't outlined more in the movie. T-600's are supposed to be prosthetics based, but the skin looked to artificial which is why they went to develop the T-800's; I think the only time we really saw a T-600 though, it was already pretty beat up anyway. I think the article also mentioned that the Skynet base wasn't just capturing humans for imprisonment but also harvesting them for their skin for the T-800's - something else that wasn't really outlined in the movie.

That's a good point. The movie didn't do much in the way of "setting the stage" for anything. The story, the tech, the world, people, etc. They just fed the audience action for the most part and left the details that fire the imagination to the viewer's imagination.

I think the TV show did T600s well though. They look like rubber people basically.

I found this image over at wired.com. Not sure what's what here but one looks like it may be a T600 endo. From the right I think we have the T800, then the "Marcus" infiltrator model, perhaps T700, and then the T600?
http://www.wired.com/underwire/2009/01/terminator-dire/
terminatormodelscale1201.jpg

T-600 shots for Salvation. Did some Googling.
terminator-t600.jpg
terminatorpanel1.jpg

Makes me wonder what their roles are. T600 looks huge compared to T800. Nobody's going to be confused that T600 isn't human. ;)

33175.jpg

Thats a shot of a T-600 guarding the lines of people coming off the cattle cart - as far as I can recall this shot didn't make it into the final cut; I only remembered the machine in the background of that shot.

Perhaps there will be more exposition and explaining on the DVD / Blu-ray edits. At least, there will be a lot of behind the scene stuff explaining more I guess.

More pics:
http://www.empireonline.com/futurefilms/gallery.asp?id=1939&fid=10354

Didn't the dude in the first movie, whatever John Conner's dad's name is, mention that he was rescued by John Conner from a labor camp? The movie didn't really explain what the people were being used for.

Anyways, all I'm really looking for in a Terminator movie is some exciting action scenes, and I thought it delivered right up until the end.

You found a great shot there Dave.

Scott, yeah I may be going too far with my criticism. It was a good time. It's mostly just the usual "I would've done that differently" consideration. :)

You found a great shot there Dave.

Scott, yeah I may be going too far with my criticism. It was a good time. It's mostly just the usual "I would've done that differently" consideration. :)

Meh, everybody looks for different things when they watch a movie. I've never had much of an attachment to the franchise, so that's partially why I'm more than happy to be a casual observer looking for pure entertainment value. I don't look back on T2 with rose colored glasses and see it as a seriously flawed movie with some memorable moments and action scenes.

I was really surprised by some of the action scenes and cinematography, or whatever you want to call it. With McG at the helm, or whatever the hell is name is, I was expecting a complete disaster. The action scenes had enough punch to them, with the exception of the ending action sequence, which is a big disappointment.

You know what bothers me most about terminator and also meny sci-fi movies/series? That robots (or aliens) mostly look humanoid. That's really ridiculous. In terminator we have intelligent machines being able to build anything with great efficiency, but they supposedly build humanoid robots (with toes even!) and motorcycles. Errm, yes, sure.

That's really ridiculous. In terminator we have intelligent machines being able to build anything with great efficiency, but they supposedly build humanoid robots (with toes even!) and motorcycles. Errm, yes, sure.

I figured it was a psychological thing, seeing a skeletal figure coming at you. At least, that's what I got out of it when the flesh started coming off partway through the first film. There's that horror aspect, which sadly, the other films stray away...

I mean in general, be it Babylon 5 or Star trek/Wars, most aliens have two legs, arms, eyes and look rather human. That really bothers me. Where it was done right - The Matrix. All robots kinda made sense functionally. Those in Terminator would suggest that the machines are stupid and inefficient.

I mean in general, be it Babylon 5 or Star trek/Wars, most aliens have two legs, arms, eyes and look rather human. That really bothers me. Where it was done right - The Matrix. All robots kinda made sense functionally. Those in Terminator would suggest that the machines are stupid and inefficient.
Floating tenticle robots made sense functionally?

Also, I see no reason to believe with conviction, as you do, that humanoid would be an evolutionarily unfavored form in extraterrestrial species. (Though E.T. for example, seems like they would have been eaten by the lamest of predators)

What form, by the way, would you see as 'unstupid' and 'efficient'?

Back