[XBL] 1 vs 100

Well, what I don't get is why they took the game down if it's due to a couple of people using the rules to their advantage.

I figured there had to be some violation of the how many times you can be the 1 or how many times you can be in the mob in order to 'prove' cheating.

It doesn't sound like these guys were cheating at all, just a bunch of 12 year old button mashers that figured out an exploit that we had discussed might exist.

Easy way to solve this.

Institute a large penalty for getting the answer wrong. Quickness should be rewarded if the answer is correct. If a person is both VERY quick and wrong, the penalty should be much larger.

That would automatically make it impossible to make it as the One just by mashing one button.

Regards,
SB

I mean was there any doubt that the game relied to much on finger twitching and not actually the trivia?? Seriously?

Take the game down, fix it, revamp it, make it back into an actual trivia style game show instead of a button masher. I'm glad it's being addressed.

Quickness should be rewarded if the answer is correct. If a person is both VERY quick and wrong, the penalty should be much larger.

absolutely. whoever thought otherwise when making these rules was up in the night. It's ridiculous to count speed AT ALL when the answer given is wrong. absolutely ABSURD.

Looks like 1 vs 100 beta did well...

A pioneering achievement in interactive entertainment, “1 vs 100” was downloaded nearly three million times during the 13 week pilot season, making it one of the top 10 most downloaded pieces of gaming content on Xbox LIVE to date. In fact, on average, more than half a million unique contestants competed in “1 vs 100” every week. And, up to 114,000 people in North America and 81,000 people in the UK and Republic of Ireland competed simultaneously in “1 vs 100 Live” shows. Featuring a live host, real prizes and regularly-scheduled programming, “1 vs 100” is a brand new genre of entertainment on Xbox LIVE. Get excited to hear more about season two…

http://gamerscoreblog.com/team/archive/2009/09/21/sd357.aspx

Tommy McClain

Can't wait!

While I only played a few nights here and there (as the "shows" unfortunately, coincided with "putting to bed time" for my son, those games I did play I enjoyed. I had issues with it, and my limited playtime meant that I had no chance of being either the one or one of the 100, I still felt that it was a remarkably fun and polished experience overall.

What surprises me still is how little credit Microsoft have received for this. People have been speaking about "Interactive TV" for so long that the phrase basically means nothing now. But by taking a slightly different approach, MS and Endemol have come closer than any previous attempt by a country mile. I also think it is one of the most innovative uses of game consoles since they first made their way into our homes over 25 years ago.

MS should really be applauded for this, along with Endemol for having the faith in the concept, and I really hope that it succeeds enough for new "gameshows" to make their way onto the Xbox in the months and years to come.

Chances to be The One are completely based on score now...

Before each Round, we will select the top player in the game lobby to compete as “The One” based on pre-determined score criteria that alternates every three rounds as follows:

SEASON: Your current accumulated score for the entire season
WEEKLY: Your current accumulated score for the week.
PREVIOUS ROUND: Your score for the previous round of play.
The One for each round will be the player with the highest score based on that Round's designated score criteria.

We will determine your score based on your then current gameplay statistics. For purposes of this Challenge, we reset your gameplay statistics to zero every Friday at 10:00 p.m. PST

http://forums.xbox.com/29965837/ShowPost.aspx

Tommy McClain

My disgust with EDD continues to grow as the show (game) has been cancelled...

One of the main reasons I was purchasing the Live Family pack was to play this game. I hope something equally as fun and interesting is set to replace it but my current theory of EDD being in disarray is telling me that there won't be.

My disgust with EDD continues to grow as the show (game) has been cancelled...

One of the main reasons I was purchasing the Live Family pack was to play this game. I hope something equally as fun and interesting is set to replace it but my current theory of EDD being in disarray is telling me that there won't be.

damn.... that sucks. the only game my girlfriend will sit in front of xbox for

I'm not exactly disgusted, but I'm disappointed and slightly peeved. Rancid and I loved playing it & I am going to miss it, but if you were playing it regularly you could see that the interest was waning. The last couple of weeks there was way less people playing. Most of the time I seen less than 50,000 people playing. that's a lot different than the 100,000+ they had the first few weeks of season 1. They probably treated it a lot like ratings on a TV show & I bet the sponsors decided to pull out because of the declining numbers.

Anyway, according to the announcement looks like we will see something else in it's place....

The “1 vs 100” team is now focusing their skills and applying the technology used to develop “1 vs 100” to new projects that will be unveiled in the future.

Source: Press Release

Tommy McClain

I'm not exactly disgusted, but I'm disappointed and slightly peeved. Rancid and I loved playing it & I am going to miss it, but if you were playing it regularly you could see that the interest was waning. The last couple of weeks there was way less people playing. Most of the time I seen less than 50,000 people playing. that's a lot different than the 100,000+ they had the first few weeks of season 1. They probably treated it a lot like ratings on a TV show & I bet the sponsors decided to pull out because of the declining numbers.

Anyway, according to the announcement looks like we will see something else in it's place....

Source: Press Release

Tommy McClain

Something to look at: Nielsen

Something to look at: Nielsen

Interesting ...

I'm sure (and was sure even before that article) that we'll see 1 vs 100 style gaming back soon enough. Something like a Weakest Link could work pretty well, but perhaps they'll also do something integrated with ESPN, and I would imagine they'll do something with Kinect soon enough as well.

Official 1 vs 100 blog Dear John letter...

As you’ve probably seen by now, we are no longer developing 1 vs. 100 for Xbox LIVE.

We're sorry to have kept you waiting in suspense before having to deliver this kind of news. We fully understand how some of you may be upset about the announcement. We hope you understand that it wasn’t an easy decision to make and there was a great deal of deliberation.

Our team really enjoyed making 1 vs. 100. Working on it was unlike anything we’d worked on before. Seeing the passionate feedback and interaction from our players was always appreciated. Even though we spent our days at work bringing the game to you, we still enjoyed playing alongside you. Our colleagues on the writing team made us laugh, too.

We knew starting on this project, that 1 vs 100 was completely different and would be an idea we would continue to evolve. We’ve learned a lot from this experience and we’re committed to applying these lessons to the cool, new stuff we’re working on, but can’t yet discuss.

But before we say farewell, some of our fond memories and discoveries from Season One and Two of 1vs100:

Chris Cashman is as powerful as he is mysterious
Felicia Day really is that awesome
There can never be too many questions about ‘Rent’ or soccer
You don’t have to be president to have your face on US currency
Chris Cashman is not a certified network technician

We think we can all agree that 1 vs 100 brought many players many fond experiences and memories. It was truly one-of-a-kind, and none of it would've been possible without a dedicated, passionate community fan base playing the game regularly and stepping up as awesome contestants. It was always great to see the message board, Twitter and Facebook light up with supportive and encouraging messages when a “regular” was the One. Being part of something that resulted in new friendships, loyalists like JAriel, the introduction of gaming to “non-gamers” and the humbling success of folks like mutantdog123 and A Patch of Blue was an intangible reward for the team that we’ll miss.

We hope to focus on the fun times playing 1 vs 100 as we look back on the two seasons and the enormous amount of time and effort that the development teams and the fans poured into the game. For now we say goodnight to 1 vs 100. You were truly part of something new, exciting, and unprecedented, and we thank you for all of your support along the way.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/1vs100/blogs.htm

Also, Kotaku has sources that say the reason for cancelation was mismanagement...

http://kotaku.com/5587848/1-vs-100-the-victim-of-mismanagement

Looks like it got passed around Microsoft and then the cost of running the show was more than the revenue that was coming in.

Tommy McClain

Official 1 vs 100 blog Dear John letter...

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/1vs100/blogs.htm

Also, Kotaku has sources that say the reason for cancelation was mismanagement...

http://kotaku.com/5587848/1-vs-100-the-victim-of-mismanagement

Looks like it got passed around Microsoft and then the cost of running the show was more than the revenue that was coming in.

Tommy McClain

Imagine. That. Someone in Redmond, besides developers, needs to start giving a shit about gaming. Wish I could organize a shareholder revolt to boot Balmer.

Back