Red Dead Redemption

Rockstar released the launch trailer. Gives a few more details behind the story & why you're playing as John. Could be considered a spoiler.

HD Version

Tommy McClain

CRAP! Just checked the Marketplace & there's a "Undead Nightmare Collection" that has all 3 DLC packs for $20. I already bought the $10 Undead Nightmare pack! :devilish: Oh well. I guess I could buy the other 2 for $20 & get the $10 free.

Tommy McClain

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got this game from a buddy and while I'm loving it so far, I really wish you didn't have to find save spots to save. Already twice I finished a mission, was stuck in the middle of nowhere and needed to go so I had to hurry and find a save spot before shutting it down.

Game looks and plays great though, I can see where all the love is coming from.

Just got this game from a buddy and while I'm loving it so far, I really wish you didn't have to find save spots to save. Already twice I finished a mission, was stuck in the middle of nowhere and needed to go so I had to hurry and find a save spot before shutting it down.
Eh ? You can save anywhere.
Initiate a camp fire & save, you can even travel to any location on the map by placing a marker on the map & fast traveling to that location, doesn't matter if you haven't been there previously.

Eh ? You can save anywhere.
Initiate a camp fire & save, you can even travel to any location on the map by placing a marker on the map & fast traveling to that location, doesn't matter if you haven't been there previously.

Really?!?! Ok never mind on my earlier complaint lol

OK, so I've finished the first "chapter". It's really well done. Great voice over work. The new lines are excellent. Made me chuckle. It has a feeling of a completely new game. Supposedly the main missions are 5-6 hours, but there are also a lot of side missions & challenges like the regular single player. I'm sorry Halo Reach, but this just really strengthens by choice of RDR being my game of the year. And this pack has got to be the best add-on I've played on any game ever.

Tommy McClain

OK, so I've finished the first "chapter". It's really well done. Great voice over work. The new lines are excellent. Made me chuckle. It has a feeling of a completely new game. Supposedly the main missions are 5-6 hours, but there are also a lot of side missions & challenges like the regular single player. I'm sorry Halo Reach, but this just really strengthens by choice of RDR being my game of the year. And this pack has got to be the best add-on I've played on any game ever.

Tommy McClain

Did you say that this was a stand alone or do you still need the original to play it?

Tommy McClain

Bahh.. I can't wait until Friday night so I can get to play me some zombie western action!

Luckily, I already planned to take off a bit early on Friday! Woot!

And Monday off as well, I'll be in a beer and sugar halloween coma for about four days.

Bahh.. I can't wait until Friday night so I can get to play me some zombie western action!

Luckily, I already planned to take off a bit early on Friday! Woot!

And Monday off as well, I'll be in a beer and sugar halloween coma for about four days.

LOL What's really funny is I'm sure that's not too far from the truth. ;)

I think I'm over halfway done with it now. There's definitely more than 5 hours worth of game. So far every town in West Elizabeth & New Austin needs to be "cleansed". Same goes for their cemeteries. Haven't got to Mexico yet, but it looks like it's the final part. Anyway, you'll get to see all the familiar faces again too. They all have small part of the story. Bad thing is I'm not still not sure what caused the zombies. Though I do have a few ideas. Rockstar has done a hell of a job. I definitely want more of this universe. Hopefully they get to do a movie. It would be great to see John Marston on the big screen.

Tommy McClain

Did you say that this was a stand alone or do you still need the original to play it?

The stand alone Undead Nightmare pack requires the original. However, I can't speak for the Undead Nightmare Collection since I didn't buy it. However, considering the price & how it's worded as 3 DLC packs, me thinks it requires the original too. If you don't have the original, I would wait & buy stand alone disc when it ships November 23. Check Take Two & Rockstar's press release.

Tommy McClain

Yes, the "collection" is simply all 3 of the DLC packs for the price of 2 - nothing more...you will need the game disk (BTW I'd love if they made this digital so I can get shot of another disk that I'll probably never sell!).

WRT the undead add-on, I have to say I'm a tad diasapointed in the actual zombies - I was hoping for slower zombies (but more of them) like Dead Rising - but it's still great...the only issue I have is ammo...where do you get ammo!?

I went to blackwater and rapidly got chased out of town...found some smaller place where there was just a few zombies but they seem to endlessly spawn - eventually I ran out of ammo so started "lassoing" them, but got overpowered again - ran back to the ranch and found the safe place to sleep.

I've got no ammo and can't figure out how to kill (fighting just seems to see me get hurt and you can't get ammo off a lasso'd zombie) - some pointers for the dense (me!) greatly appreciated!

Ammo is limited throughout the game, but so far I've yet to run out. You get a torch pretty early on. Use that as your melee weapon. As for ammo, you'll need to search corpses for ammo. Also, when you're helping the town survivors cleanse their towns, find the leader he'll need you to find chests for ammo. This will help speed up the process of cleansing the town. If you don't, then there are quite a few waves of zombies. Anyway, the chests will show up on your radar as green dots I believe. Once you help cleanse the towns you'll be rewarded with ammo or weapons for your help. Now you could just keep all the ammo stashes yourself & cleanse the town without giving any to the survivor. I've done that a few times. There are other ways to get ammo. There are strangers you'll encounter randomly around town or the wild. Help them & they will give you ammo. There are also new treasure map challenges that you can complete for ammo too. But so far the best way to find ammo is just checking every zombie corpse you find.

Tommy McClain

Anybody finish this yet? I finished the story, but the game is still going... :) Haven't finished 2 of the challenges yet. If anybody has finished them a few pointers would be great. Once I get those I'm sure I'll get the last 4 single player achievements. Then the only thing left are 2 achievements on multiplayer. Great add-on. Well worth more than $10.

Tommy McClain

Has anyone gotten this game on the ps3? I'm tempted to get it as part of a Toys R Us buy 2 promo but I loathe to give a mutiplat dev my money for yet another crap ps3 port. All the head2head's i've read agree that it's not a good port, is this true?

The PS3 version's fine. Unless you are planning on playing the game with your nose pressed against the tv screen, actively looking for flaws, you won't be disappointed with the visuals at all. It's a gorgeous game.
That's the thing I hate about these comparisons: they make a 5% difference seem like a 50% difference and actually cause people who don't have the luxury of choosing between systems to avoid perfectly fine games.

Back