Red Dead Redemption

Going back to which version to buy...

I can see why people want to buy the 'best version' - but the 'best version' is subjective and different to each individual.

For example, I don't think anyone would notice the differences between these games (if there is one) unless theyplayed them on 2 TVs next to each other...and even then the differences would be minute.

I will buy the PS3 version for several reasons.

1) the console is quieter
2) if I want to go online it's free
3) I prefer trophies :p

For me these 3 rank above (largely) unnoticable graphical differences.(if there was an order 4th would be controller and 5th gfx - unless of course the difference is noticable)

I don't know if I'll get this day one, I rarely do these days - I have too much to play already so can get this a couple of months down the line when the dust (and hype) has settled...looks reaaly good tho and I'm really restraining myself (BTW I don't like GTA too much altho I did enjoy TBOGT)

My problem is really that I only have a limited amount of time for gaming. I like to use this time as good as possible, experience as much game as possible. When a game forces me (due to bad checkpoints) to replay lengthy boring parts...I am out, playing something different, and this can be realized in the very beginning of the game, as check points systems don't change typically!
(An extremely good example in this regard is Alan Wake for instance, which I played this weekend!)
But mid-mission check point system in RDR sounds good!

I totally agree about this. It was my bug-bear with GTA (which was fixed with TBOGT BTW) - OT tho, are you saying Alan Wake is good or bad for checkpoints?

Think I got a bit further than most of you that gave up but the general gripes are the same. The save system was awful - having to go back to the start of a mission and drive 5 minutes to your destination was soul-destroying. I'd have probably kept going if it wasn't for the fact that I couldn't empathise even slightly with Niko and hated the infantile humour in the game.

RDR looks a lot more promising in all regards.

I had pretty much the same experience. I found riding on BMXs and spraying graffiti infinitely cooler than anything in the beginning of this game, and I couldn't get through that GTA either. I think I've learnt by now that GTA games aren't really for me. The game just didn't seem 'open-world' enough, so much lovely detail but I would have preferred a lot more different things to do and the game not being tied to the story so much - let me make my own story. What GTA tried in terms of telling a story just doesn't work for me. It gets beaten by a game like Leisure Suit Larry in that respect, and that kills me, as LSL is decades older.

Never played a GTA game before (nothing against them) but I'm planning to get this. Be the first console game I've bought since January.

But if the PS3 version really is 540p I'll be incredibly disappointed, though because of the aliasing it causes and not any blur. I didn't notice anything too blurry about the Ghostbusters demo at the same resolution, but even with QAA it was horribly jaggy.
Believe me 540p is almost 'impossible'...the same resolution of gta 4 is more probable.

I can see why people want to buy the 'best version' - but the 'best version' is subjective and different to each individual.

For example, I don't think anyone would notice the differences between these games (if there is one) unless theyplayed them on 2 TVs next to each other...and even then the differences would be minute.

I will buy the PS3 version for several reasons.

1) the console is quieter
2) if I want to go online it's free
3) I prefer trophies :p

For me these 3 rank above (largely) unnoticable graphical differences.(if there was an order 4th would be controller and 5th gfx - unless of course the difference is noticable)

I don't know if I'll get this day one, I rarely do these days - I have too much to play already so can get this a couple of months down the line when the dust (and hype) has settled...looks reaaly good tho and I'm really restraining myself (BTW I don't like GTA too much altho I did enjoy TBOGT)

you're an idiot - just pre-order this now for £29.75 from tesco (don't forget to use code FTSL15-1 and quidco and tesco points you tight git!)

A gentle reminder the discussion that's going on now is OT and more importantly forbidden. It's an interesting discussion but sadly we've proved that we're not able to keep things under control, we all know that this will go nowhere and we should agree to save the mods some time and efforts to clean up things ;)
On the other hand if one want discuss specific issue about the engine a thread could be opened in the tech section about the Rage engine. I don't think it will be that much better as Rockstar has made no presentation public as far as I know, so It'll mostly be a redone of the GTA IV discussion.

A gentle reminder the discussion that's going on now is OT and more importantly forbidden. It's an interesting discussion but sadly we've proved that we're not able to keep things under control, we all know that this will go nowhere and we should agree to save the mods some time and efforts to clean up things ;)
On the other hand if one want discuss specific issue about the engine a thread could be opened in the tech section about the Rage engine. I don't think it will be that much better as Rockstar has made no presentation public as far as I know, so It'll mostly be a redone of the GTA IV discussion.

^^What you wrote. ;)

And folks, apologizing for going off-topic doesn't excuse pointing out/claiming/accusing user bias or going further off-topic with cherry-picked game comparisons to prove a point.

There can certainly be a thread to attempt discussion,
but it's hard to have any sort of meaningful discussion or spin-off when it's based on NDA'd or secret information! We'd just be circling around available information or asking the same questions again and again.

Let's keep the game thread to the game discussion. There IS a game tech thread btw. Suitable for the Rage Engine discussion.

Edit:

Resolution Discussion http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=50674
Rage Engine Discussion (renamed from GTA4 tech) http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=47508

After playing a bit around a friends i actually wish they scaled back some of the open world stuff. You tend to get missions from in towns so far and then head out into the wilderness on horseback to do them and then come back into town once complete to get the next missions. Just wish the missions were much more centered around the small towns which is were the western feeling really comes alive, the wilderness is a bit boring IMO.

I would say for any game where you want to play multiplayer, the platform with most of your friends is the obvious choice. As much as people like to argue over which console is better, playing with friends is probably going to have a bigger impact on how much fun you have with the title than anything else.

They had mid-mission checkpoints in the GTA4 DLC as well. It was a big problem in the vanilla title.

It wasn't very well implemented in the DLC, though. It'd still drop you out in the world, with your resources spent, with your armor gone, you'd just have an option via phone to restart from checkpoint. Is it more like SR2's 'do you want to restart from checkpoint RIGHT NOW' in RDR?

It wasn't very well implemented in the DLC, though. It'd still drop you out in the world, with your resources spent, with your armor gone, you'd just have an option via phone to restart from checkpoint. Is it more like SR2's 'do you want to restart from checkpoint RIGHT NOW' in RDR?

I'm not sure. I'll let you know when I pick it up tomorrow.

IGN 9.7

9.5 Presentation
A powerful story and remarkable characters. Tons of depth, but it doesn't quite have the perfect polish that most Rockstar games exhibit.
9.5 Graphics
A few visual hiccups are the only downside to this incredible looking game. Fantastic art direction.
10 Sound
Superb voice acting and a wonderful soundtrack.
9.5 Gameplay
Great variety, great combat, and a great multiplayer mode.
10 Lasting Appeal
Online or off, there are more than enough excellent reasons to keep coming back.

CVG 9.5

Red Dead Redemption is not just a game that you love to play - it's a life you'll never want to leave. And when you do finally pull yourself back into the real world, you'll seriously consider buying a horse.

It's a tremendously detailed and authentic realisation of the Wild West with great stories, characters and inner workings. Buy it now.
♦ 100.0% | PlayStation Official Magazine UK
♦ 1up: A.
♦ 100.0% | Official XBOX Magazine (UK)
♦ 100.0% | PSM3 (UK)
♦ 100.0% | Gamereactor (DK)
♦ 100.0% | guardian.co.uk
♦ 98.0% | IGN (UK)
♦ 97.5% | Game Informer (US)
♦ 97.0% | IGN (US)
♦ 95.0% | CVG (UK)
♦ 95.0% | Cynamite.de
♦ 95.0% | GamePro.de
♦ 94.0% | 9lives.be
♦ 92.0% | Games Aktuell (DE)
♦ 90.0% | gamesTM (UK)
♦ 90.0% | Eurogamer (IT)
♦ 80.0% | Eurogamer (UK)

Got my pre order in with gamestop. Traded in ODST and Rock Band 2 and got RDR for $20. Works for me. Looking forward to being back in the old racist wild west.

So after playing the 360 version for an hour or so...I have decided to go for the PS3 ver.
I can take up a loss of AA & a barely noticeable dip in resolution for a comfortable experience & free online.

The control layout is such that the 360 controller just didn't cut it for me.....riding horses,carriage & pretty much everything requires extensive tapping of "A" button, & I've always found the face buttons of 360 controller to be very stiff & hard on my fingers atleast. :|

On a side note..this game is BEAUTIFUL ! Puts almost every open world game (except maybe JC2 PC ver. & FC2...which stand on the same ground) literally to shame ! The draw distance is ridiculously insane. Shadows are noticeably sharper & better than GTA4 by a long shot. But there is one thing I noticed about them, shadows look their best within the 2 meter radius of where you are standing...after that there is a very minor switch to a lesser detailed shadow, now I know this is not strange for the shadow to get a detail switch but what's strange is the very small radius. But this is so minor that you'll most probably won't even notice it, unless you get your character standing over a tree shadow, looking towards the ground & move slowly....so that you physically "see" that radius.

As for gameplay...well you indeed do too much traveling.
Quick EDIT: I hate the crosshair, its just a tiny dot :devilish:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back