Red Dead Redemption

Sure, that's the tech I was referring to. ^_^
Did it appear on GTA4 first ? Or did another game used it before GTA4 ?

it was shown as a tech demo in 2005 but was built for Red Dead Redemption by RDR team which has been in development for 5 years. :oops:

R*'s Table Tennis borrowed the tech to release as first retail game using RAGE and then GTA4 and then Midnight Club LA but it was being used and improved all along (since before GTA4 release) in RDR.

Last edited by a moderator:
it was shown as a tech demo in 2005 but was built for Red Dead Redemption by RDR team which has been in development for 5 years. :oops:

R*'s Table Tennis borrowed the tech to release as first retail game using RAGE and then GTA4 but it was being used and improved all along (since before GTA4 release) in RDR.

5 years for a looker game sounds reasonable. I remember Alan Wake, GT5, CryEngine 3 all fall in that development timeframe and only 1 game come out.

Other people like NaughtyDog, the Forza folks, Insomniac and R* deliver more in the same timeframe.

Table Tennis... should go the motion controller route. The graphics may not be as impactful here.

5 years for a looker game sounds reasonable. I remember Alan Wake, GT5, CryEngine 3 all fall in that development timeframe and only 1 game come out.

Other people like NaughtyDog, the Forza folks, Insomniac and R* deliver more in the same timeframe.

Table Tennis... should go the motion controller route. The graphics may not be as impactful here.

Yea but since those developers did not go with twice bigger OPEN world in comparison with SA,with length more then both ND titles put together and other stuff its quite evident why.Anyway,neither of those(other then ND but thats exclusive linear game) delivered visuals close to RDR.

Yea but since those developers did not go with twice bigger OPEN world in comparison with SA,with length more then both ND titles put together and other stuff its quite evident why.Anyway,neither of those(other then ND but thats exclusive linear game) delivered visuals close to RDR.

:D I'll wait and see. They all look very good in their own ways. Even for a linear game, the developers can push visuals way beyond expectation. inFamous is open world and the city looks lively and good too. I am very satisfied in the visual front so far.

I think the valuable work here are the details put into the world (animals, NPC lifestyle, missions, etc.)

:D I'll wait and see. They all look very good in their own ways. Even for a linear game, the developers can push visuals way beyond expectation. inFamous is open world and the city looks lively and good too. I am very satisfied in the visual front so far.

I think the valuable work here are the details put into the world (animals, NPC lifestyle, missions, etc.)

Well you will see when you play it,but i have played it and believe me when i say that i have never seen better looking open world game on consoles,Infamous does not come close,neither does Far Cry 2 or JC2...really,you will have to take a hard look to find better looking console game in general,linear games,hardly anything compares.

I would say that it looks better then any exclusive on 360 including Alan Wake and Gears 2.

Yea,whole world feels alive...animals everywhere,their animations,wind,storms,clouds...beautifully alive.And sunrise and sunset are something beautiful and textures are amazingly detailed :)

The quality does come through in the trailers. What are you attracted to in the game and its visual ?

That way I can focus on those areas, and condense the experiences. :p

The quality does come through in the trailers. What are you attracted to in the game and its visual ?

That way I can focus on those areas, and condense the experiences. :p

Huh...First the character,John is very detailed and looks great(not his looks,although girls will probably dig him :D ) but environments are something totally different from other games.The grass,cactus threes,foliage in general looks very very good,and is interactive...storms and weather in general are sight to behold,flashing and clouds full of rain are something special really.Other characters look much better than GTA IV and for an such a huge game they are very good.Same with cutscenes and lipsynce,there is no AW bit stiff lipsynce syndrome,they look very well,in comparison with GTA IV its night and day.

And aside from beautiful whether effects,foliage and other stuff best thing about it is probably vistas.When i played it i stopped for minute(near mexican boarder) in sunset and admire the visuals,totally amazing and even better then when you look at trailers.The view distance is unlimited,and things far are superbly detailed,you see the hill at other part of the map and you can go there,everything you see you can visit.

There is no more shadow problem seen in GTAIV,they are gone,no more flickering and they in general look much better,dithering threes are also gone and game seems v synced.Game runs smooth and frames drop very rarely and jaggies are almost non existent(i play on 32 inch screen) on outside and in towns you of course can spot them but IQ in general is very nice.Game seems to me like 720p 2xMSAA.

I have played the game for like 2 hours and i have been just riding the damn horse shooting the animals and doing some side missions cus i just wanted to see how other parts look,yea,its that beautiful :D

Edit.
Oh yea...horse animations are amazing,and animations in general are very nice.Improvement over GTA IV,bit of input lag of movement is almost gone now.

Don't waste your time, the kool aid is just too strong. Sometimes I wish I had permission to post verbatim what people from NVidia and certain Sony first parties have told me first hand as to what they *really* think of the PS3 hardware compared to the competition, it would end all this conspiracy nonsense for once and for all.

Wait, did you say from certain Sony first parties? :oops:

Though, you have to blame MS's somewhat for not really being interested in having teams really push the hardware on 360.

Well you will see when you play it,but i have played it and believe me when i say that i have never seen better looking open world game on consoles,Infamous does not come close,neither does Far Cry 2 or JC2...really,you will have to take a hard look to find better looking console game in general,linear games,hardly anything compares.

I would say that it looks better then any exclusive on 360 including Alan Wake and Gears 2.

Yea,whole world feels alive...animals everywhere,their animations,wind,storms,clouds...beautifully alive.And sunrise and sunset are something beautiful and textures are amazingly detailed :)

RDR better looking than Alan Wake? Gears 2? I'd definitely agree that it's the best looking open world game yet seen on consoles. But better graphics than those two very linear titles?

Looks like I'll be picking this up to find out. I can't help but wonder how good GTA5 will look

If it's hard to program, I'd be surprised no one from Sony complains. People will always focus on the h/w strength to differentiate anyway.

If it's hard to program, I'd be surprised no one from Sony complains. People will always focus on the h/w strength to differentiate anyway.

I don't think he means that they're complaining about the difficulty in programming for PS3. Joker seems to be referring to the popular consensus that PS3 > X360 ('TEH CELL!" etc.) and that Nvidia and certain Sony first party studios think otherwise. Which is pretty interesting!

Off topic now...

It'd be interesting to know why, but I don't think everyone in Sony bought in. The architecture makes controversial design choices to begin with !

I have a friend who works in nVidia since its startup days. He doesn't think highly of RSX and Cell either. Then, he was amazed by EyePet and GoW3. He keeps complaining about betting on the wrong horse though. :LOL: So I think they may have gone all out to court Nintendo.

EDIT:

iPhone footage of PS3 gameplay:

[size=-2]I think his horse mounting animation is a little LBP-like[/size]

Tech looks impressive and they chose quiet a matching set up, tiny towns, sparse vegetations :)
Sadly I'm pretty turned off by the setup imho they are taking a risk in this regard, it's really "north American".

RDR really is not my type of game, I just don't find the gameplay, story or setting appealing at all. I've been trying to find a reason to like it by watching all the videos and except for the train level which was pretty cool, the rest just seems kinda boring to me:(.

I wouldn't say I am a hater, but I think the its way to hyped :) And got serious reservations about RDR, but my pre-order is in.

I think I played the 2 first missions of GTA4 before it started collecting dust :)

I played until the bowliing mission. Than back from bowling walking to the car, I had some trouble with a guy. The girl got mad at me and the game wanted me to do the whole mission again (with all the driving) - disc ejected!

I played until the bowliing mission. Than back from bowling walking to the car, I had some trouble with a guy. The girl got mad at me and the game wanted me to do the whole mission again (with all the driving) - disc ejected!

mid-mission checkpoints now in RDR and several people who have complained about GTA4 or the theme have reported playing it and are hooked. :smile: so much more visceral

Never played a GTA game before (nothing against them) but I'm planning to get this. Be the first console game I've bought since January.

But if the PS3 version really is 540p I'll be incredibly disappointed, though because of the aliasing it causes and not any blur. I didn't notice anything too blurry about the Ghostbusters demo at the same resolution, but even with QAA it was horribly jaggy.

Think I got a bit further than most of you that gave up but the general gripes are the same. The save system was awful - having to go back to the start of a mission and drive 5 minutes to your destination was soul-destroying. I'd have probably kept going if it wasn't for the fact that I couldn't empathise even slightly with Niko and hated the infantile humour in the game.

RDR looks a lot more promising in all regards.

Think I got a bit further than most of you that gave up but the general gripes are the same. The save system was awful - having to go back to the start of a mission and drive 5 minutes to your destination was soul-destroying. I'd have probably kept going if it wasn't for the fact that I couldn't empathise even slightly with Niko and hated the infantile humour in the game.

RDR looks a lot more promising in all regards.

My problem is really that I only have a limited amount of time for gaming. I like to use this time as good as possible, experience as much game as possible. When a game forces me (due to bad checkpoints) to replay lengthy boring parts...I am out, playing something different, and this can be realized in the very beginning of the game, as check points systems don't change typically!
(An extremely good example in this regard is Alan Wake for instance, which I played this weekend: perfect check point system - devs should take note!)
But mid-mission check point system in RDR sounds good!

Back