AMD Bulldozer Core Patent Diagrams

. If we take it as a reference point then in worst case scenario FX8 should be somewhat on 2500K level of performance which by itself would put it in at least some tasks above i7 970. We can agree on that I think?
I take it that they are basing the comparison on throughput, seeing as how there is less than 3% difference between the 2500K and 2600K in things that use 4 threads or less.

Besides Accords wording just begs for this kind of answer, because I can even now find a task where Phenom II X6 will perform on par or even slightly better than i7 970. Of course majority of applications is performing much better on i7 970, but I feel it's silly to come here and say BD will loose to it across the board.
Perhaps "Across the board" is to strong if you define it as win in everything, but I certainly expect the 970 to be stronger in both low-thread applications and high-thread applications and win versus BD in the vast majority of applications for desktop, number crunching, rendering, encoding, compression and gaming.

I take it that they are basing the comparison on throughput, seeing as how there is less than 3% difference between the 2500K and 2600K in things that use 4 threads or less.

Perhaps "Across the board" is to strong if you define it as win in everything, but I certainly expect the 970 to be stronger in both low-thread applications and high-thread applications and win versus BD in the vast majority of applications for desktop, number crunching, rendering, encoding, compression and gaming.

If you phrase it like that then I partially agree, because I see it myself as reasonably possibility at this moment.
I guess top FX-8 will be somewhat competitive in MT tasks to i7 2xxxK CPU's but no so much in ST. The opposite can be true comparing to i7 9xx, e.g. loosing in MT but winning in ST thanks to aggressive Turbo.

But I rather wait and see. Better to have low expectations and eventually be nicely surprised than other way around.

3584527m.png

A short errata description for the various BD re-spins.

Thanks fellix!

Looks like they struggle with clock propagation on this chip.
New process, new core, big headache :p

I hope the whole platform is at the very least stable; it's good they're being prudent and taking their time.

rpg.314's and fellix's links/images do not work for me or where pulled out.

LE: It all works now here @ the office. Strange..

Last edited by a moderator:
That could be the case too. But the 990X bested the 2600k, I still believe that the 2600k has better single core perf but 990X is hex-core. Well hopes the 3 month delayed will turn something better.

Back