Remote game services (OnLive, Gaikai, etc.)

With xDSL you should be able to get pings in the range of 15-30 ms with serves that are reasonable local (I get 23-25ms (6Mbit ADSL) for pretty much any server located in Denmark - with a 10 or even 20 Mbit dsl connection I should be able to do quite a bit better).

And who will prove that it has anything to do with actual tcp/udp rtt?

Gaikai game streaming by Dave Perry
This is similar to OnLive service, but they plan on delivering hardware to publisher's server rooms and/or each major city have own pool of servers. Games are not listed in a one big portal but launched from the publisher's own site. Cloud Gaming they say.

Its Flash plugin to stream audiovideo from the server, so it means they use probably avc/aac format or older .flv h263 codec. Encoders do a dynamic changes based on bandwidth and type of application you use. Photoshop gets a pixel-perfect streaming.

Well, there's been a lot of conversation about onlive and Gaikai and the feasibility of each service, but I can't help but think what if OnLive really do have better technology and research?

Whilst I'm still slightly cynical (although I'm very excited for cloud computing based games) I'll keep an open mind to the possibility of OnLive delivering on a lot of these promises. Perhaps one will subsequently have higher price and higher quality, other lower price and lower quality.

Still, we have to see the real-world application and in different circumstances.

So does any one know of anybody who is actually on the OnLive beta test?

You should check the site onlivefans.com Some of the people that frequent that site are participated in the beta, but they are under strict NDA not to discuss any aspects.

I'm really curious about the subscription model. I already have a Xbox 360, ps3, and a decent laptop that can play some games. I actually more interested in the community aspect and watching other players than playing some of there games on there.

I think they will live oe die not just buy the quality of the video stream, but by how much they charge and for what. Do you get a set amount of games that we can play a month. If you purchase a game, you don't really own it since you have no physical copy. There are a lot of unanswered questions.

I have checked that site but can find no firm evidence of any one on it - do you have a link? End-user NDAs mean nothing, hence the colossal amount of Killzone 2 beta footage that ended up on YouTube while the journos could write nothing about it.

No leaked footage, no mentions on Twitter from any one on it, nothing on Google, nothing full-stop.

Looks like it still be in an internal beta. If you sign up they say they will contact you when their external beta is available later this year(Winter 2009). All you can do now is sign up & wait like the rest of us.

Tommy McClain

I don't believe they ever announced a launch date for full service, only the Beta.

Tommy McClain

I have checked that site but can find no firm evidence of any one on it - do you have a link? End-user NDAs mean nothing, hence the colossal amount of Killzone 2 beta footage that ended up on YouTube while the journos could write nothing about it.

No leaked footage, no mentions on Twitter from any one on it, nothing on Google, nothing full-stop.

Yeah, there is no firm evidence. However, the beta is active as far as I know. It's supposed to launch soon. They must be keeping a tight leash on things.

Gaikai game streaming by Dave Perry
This is similar to OnLive service, but they plan on delivering hardware to publisher's server rooms and/or each major city have own pool of servers. Games are not listed in a one big portal but launched from the publisher's own site. Cloud Gaming they say.

Its Flash plugin to stream audiovideo from the server, so it means they use probably avc/aac format or older .flv h263 codec. Encoders do a dynamic changes based on bandwidth and type of application you use. Photoshop gets a pixel-perfect streaming.

Gaikai is funded by the publishers. It seems more like a really good advertisement for the publishers. I imagine that there will be a banner, which could link to GaiKai's website (where they actually host the game) from the publishers website or another place, which will launch a demo of the game for people to try. I think this approach would be very effective given that you don't need great hardware to run it since it's through your web browser. It would give more exposure to people. GaiKai service seems more feasible since they scale to demand, and they focus on getting servers really close to the service areas.

Fascinating presentation !

Assuming the tech works for a large enough audience, have a few things that raised questions/concerns:

* The business model may be oversimplified or have too much handwaving. Leasing server is not cheap. Peak usage may be underestimated. Also, heavy GPU apps/games will be expensive to run (as Steve Perlman admitted). Need to see the exact fee I have to pay for something like this for a high-end game.

* Microsoft and Sony are probably preparing something similar as well. The new controller schemes may introduce new dynamics into their equations. MS, in particular, has the most ready end-to-end infrastructure to do this.

I like the vision, and think the user experience is rather compelling.

My basic summary:
*You need to be within 1,000 miles of any server (looks like they'll cover the lower 48 at least).

*They say it takes 1 millisecond for them to compress the video and which altogether gives the player about 80 ms latency, which is pretty acceptable.

*There's supposed to be a bunch of publisher advantages with tracking player telemetry, higher profit margins, and even giving out instant betas.

*You can create and save "brag clips" of last 15 seconds of gameplay to show off on your profile.

*The video compression didn't have any artifacts as far as I could see.

Additionally, that menu screen is one of the most amazing things I have ever seen. The scale of this is just amazing. I want this service to happen just so that I can see it happen. It sounds like they're going with a subscription type of service if they're going to give you that Onlive TV box for free so I still have to wait and see the price to subscribe and how much the games themselves will cost.

Haven't watched the entire presentation yet, but it is really interesting. If they've made deals with all of the major ISPs, I can see how they might be able to deal with latency issues. I'm really interested in how the compression works and how it is different from traditional methods.

80 ms is probably all right for most games but my only real concern right now is how well the video compression works. Somebody mentioned playing Crysis on Onlive at GDC and saying that the compression artifacts were noticeable so I'll probably wait until some of the pixel counters here had a chance to test it out.

80 ms is probably all right for most games but my only real concern right now is how well the video compression works. Somebody mentioned playing Crysis on Onlive at GDC and saying that the compression artifacts were noticeable so I'll probably wait until some of the pixel counters here had a chance to test it out.

well, it's compressed in how much time? Didn't they say 1ms or something? It definitely won't be without some sacrifice in image quality.

well, it's compressed in how much time? Didn't they say 1ms or something? It definitely won't be without some sacrifice in image quality.
yes, the time for them to compress the video is 1 ms and in presumably ideal conditions, this means 80 ms lag.

Back