[PC] Max Payne 3

1993 map design was keyhunts with quite linear progression through abstract mazes that sort of looked like architecture. Lets not go too far with the nostalgia. ;)

Davros said:
Please be joking, I hated the goddamn flashlight in doom 3

???

You hated the flashlight? What exactly do you mean?

I hated, that I can either use a gun or a flashlight, but not both...fighting in the dark...yeah, thanks but no.
Played doom3 for 1h, then had to quit because it was so stupid...

I remember a comment from an id developer to the effect of "why didn't we think of that!" when the duct tape mod arrived. Apparently their dumb flashlight-or-gun mechanic never bothered them during development.

The 1993 map looks like a PITA to be honest. I'm not saying I like the 2010 map either but swaaye is right.

There's nothing look with a linear game. There's nothing long with an open world game. Nothing wrong with something in-between. I played a lot of terrible shooters where all you did was backtrack looking for keys, to open the next door, basically making the complex map play in a linear fashion. There are good and bad games of all shapes and sizes.

Max Payne 3 is a good one.

There are "open world games" which just use the open world as a hub for easy missions and minigames. Rules of those games aren't properly designed, similiarly to the problem of the camera angle in 3D platformers where the obstacles are nerfed to deal with the crippling perception the 3D camera gives you, so they use the shitty collectathon mechanics to mask the fact that the games are unchallenging/dumbed-down

Can you name some of those terrible shooters Scott? I'd rather play GZDoom's campaign than MW's. The superb level design and gunplay, player's agility, the enemy variety and the overall atmosphere, especially when played with the self-imposed zero quicksaves rule, beats the crap out of the "OMG, so cinematic, GOTY material right here folks" handholding crap. The truth is, Doom is significantly more skill-based (which comes from the more complex ruleset) and mentally engaging than MW. But guns and blood are for dumb people, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Half Life + sequels are totally linear and I think they are great games.

Not quite, there's room for exploration.
I played HL² about a dozen times and it's only on the tenth I found a few buildings I never visited...

There are "open world games" which just use the open world as a hub for easy missions and minigames. Rules of those games aren't properly designed, similiarly to the problem of the camera angle in 3D platformers where the obstacles are nerfed to deal with the crippling perception the 3D camera gives you, so they use the shitty collectathon mechanics to mask the fact that the games are unchallenging/dumbed-down

Can you name some of those terrible shooters Scott? I'd rather play GZDoom's campaign than MW's. The superb level design and gunplay, player's agility, the enemy variety and the overall atmosphere, especially when played with the self-imposed zero quicksaves rule, beats the crap out of the "OMG, so cinematic, GOTY material right here folks" handholding crap. The truth is, Doom is significantly more skill-based (which comes from the more complex ruleset) and mentally engaging than MW. But guns and blood are for dumb people, right?

Do I really have to go back and look at lists of games from the mid to late 90s to find the names, so you'll believe there were some very awful games back then?

To be honest, I'd much rather play MW than Doom at this point, despite it being incredibly staged and linear. Doom was an incredibly good game when it came out. People have different tastes. Just about any kind of game design can be done well.

The 1993 map looks like a PITA to be honest. I'm not saying I like the 2010 map either but swaaye is right.

Yeah, some DOOM levels were awfully maze-ey at times for no good reason.

I pretty much developed a hatred of mazes in 2009 though when I played an old Sega-CD game called Lunar: The Silver Star. The last few areas are so overly maze-ey it's not funny.

I fucking gave up on the last dungeon and didn't even try it without a step by step picture walkthrough.

It was pretty much the final straw. I'll take linear stuff over super mazes any day of the week, month, year. At least I can finish those without driving myself insane. I've spent hours on DOOM maps(DOOM 2 to be precise) just trying to find the fucking exit.

I remember a comment from an id developer to the effect of "why didn't we think of that!" when the duct tape mod arrived. Apparently their dumb flashlight-or-gun mechanic never bothered them during development.

It never bothered me either. In fact, it made the game so much more interesting to me. I loved it and I am not joking. Remove it and the scare factor goes to zero. Locating an enemy with ur flashlight and then shooting in the dark, watching the enemy with muzzle flashes as it bounced around on the screen was super fun ! Remove that and you can see everything all the time, ther's nothing special anymore.

There are many who liked the game too, you know. If u were hard pressed for time, I can understand the feustration, but if u came to enjoy a game, its not very difficult to learn one little mechanic, that too which elevates the atmosphere and the hunted and alone feel of the game so much.

People have different tastes. Just about any kind of game design can be done well.

Yes, expect MW's campaign (and multiplaye) is linear FPS done bad. There are much much better linear FPS's this gen, i.e. Episode 2 and FEAR. The latter has some of the best gunplay and AI of any FPS ever made. I think I've replayed it on the hardest difficulty at least five times by now. It never gets old.

Three States and a Plan: The AI of F.E.A.R.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are many who liked the game too, you know. If u were hard pressed for time, I can understand the feustration, but if u came to enjoy a game, its not very difficult to learn one little mechanic, that too which elevates the atmosphere and the hunted and alone feel of the game so much.
I did push through the whole game without mods. But still, regardless of how brilliantly it may force the monster-closet scares, no soldier is going to run around shooting blindly and then disarm himself so he can use his flashlight.

I would say linearity really hinges on the sensation of linearity rather than the actual degree of linearity. For example, I think HL's linearity was less noticeable than HL2's, likely due to the degree that HL happens underground/indoors compared to HL2. Any time you have a game occurring outside, whether it be city streets or jungle/wilderness, you're constantly being funnelled into threatening situations where obvious means of avoiding them should be available. A hallway or vent, on the other hand, you're just thinking about getting to the other end of even if there's 20 guys in your way.

I haven't played MP3, but due to the setting I would assume that a lot more of it occurs outside than the previous installments?

I did push through the whole game without mods. But still, regardless of how brilliantly it may force the monster-closet scares, no soldier is going to run around shooting blindly and then disarm himself so he can use his flashlight.

Games aren't about reality, games are about what feels fun. Flashlight juggling mechanic made it frantic, panicky, atmospheric and fun.

No guy is gonna stop moving and shoot and give roundhouse kicks and punch them zombies when they close in, but we loved doing that too :LOL: ! WHat soldier would take bullets head on and then hide in a corner to magically heal ? but we do that too, as its a game and its all about fun, fantasy and make believe.

Back