[PC] Max Payne 3

Another interview from IGN and some nice tidbits. The comic cutscenes are back, but different. This is the best part of the interview:

Max's signature Bullet Time moves are back, but upgraded with the level of sophistication and detail that we can bring to an action game in 2011. A combination of our RAGE engine, blended animations and Natural Motion's Euphoria system control Max's movements, making him react to the world around him realistically, bracing for impact from a diving shoot-dodge or transferring his weight from foot-to-foot while in Bullet Time – the player has an amazing amount of control over the player when running and targeting.

Bullets are individually modeled, and hits register dynamically and individually on every enemy. Every gun is modeled as accurately as possible, with the hammer and slide cocking back after each shot. There are also some additional new features to gunplay in Bullet Time that we'll reveal soon. Our goal is to set a new benchmark for sophistication and feel in a 3rd-person shooter – we've really tried to make the experience as intense and focused as possible.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/119/1197638p1.html

Go here for links to previews from IGN, Kotaku, Destructoid etc:

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswi...he-first-max-payne-3-previews-from-ign-k.html

Looks like Rockstar is ramping up the PR. (I am apparently also ramping up the PR. Give me some money, Rockstar!)

From Kotaku
The Rockstar people think that it's great that first-person shooters let you swing your targeting reticule in 360-degrees without any hitches and recognize that third-person shooters often fail to meet the same standard. They promise and showed me that theirs does. While they didn't let me play the game, they showed me that you can point Max's gun(s) anywhere you want with no resistance in the controls and no hiccups in Max's animation. The hero convincingly adjusts the stretch of his arm, the lean of his back, and the turn of his hips to accommodate wherever you are pointing no matter where you have him moving.

The Rockstar folks also think it's cool that Max can and will roll and dive wherever you need him to and shoot from wherever he lands. One of Max's key moves is the slow-mo dodge, which is great to use when you see bullets streaking at you in slow-mo, enemy projectiles trailed by white lines back to smoking barrels. I got to see Max leap to his left, like a man in a road going airborne to avoid the bus bearing down on him. Max braced his arm as he landed on the ground on his side... and could still shoot from there. A combination of tons of animation and blending tech (the Rockstar people will happily talk about it a lot) boils down to: Max moves like an idealized person would, not like some hitchy video game character. He doesn't ice-skate on the ground when he runs. He doesn't stutter or flop limply when he dives or lands. Enemies are supposed to be similarly empowered with great animations, and for the most part they seemed to be, though some did flop in a video-gamey way when hit by Max's bullets.

From Destructoid
This section of the demo ends with Max exchanging fire through the windows of a hallway with gangsters on a roof across the street. Here I see both the cover mechanics in play and get a small taste of the game's destructibility. First off, don't worry about the game turning into some sort of cover-focused shooter. While you can shoot using cover by poking your head out or blind-firing, the focus is still on the run-and-gun mentality you would expect from Max Payne. Plus, the destructibility will prevent you from any sort of cover abuse -- cover will get torn to shreds as more and more bullets are laid into it.

CNET
After the lights went up, my impression of Max Payne 3 had gone from "totally different direction" to "true sequel." The only thing missing was a trippy dream sequence where Max tip-toes along a trail of blood. When I asked the Rockstar rep about there being such a section in Max Payne 3 he smiled, but refused to comment.

From CVG
You can't stay in cover all the time because of that destruction engine and a particularly smart AI, which we're told will never acts the same way twice in multiple play throughs - and definitely won't sit around waiting for you to pop them one by one.

Still lying prone our player twists 360 degrees taking out a few more NPCs while horizontal. It's a level of manoeuvrability we've never seen in that kind of position before and Payne's body movements remain solid and fluid throughout as he adjusts his weight.

It's all coming together. I just want to know more about destructibility and AI. Seems like they've made some good additions there.

They are promising no loading times and seamless transition between cinematic and gameplay a la Uncharted.

Bullets are individually modeled, and hits register dynamically and individually on every enemy. Every gun is modeled as accurately as possible, with the hammer and slide cocking back after each shot.

Heh, they were touting these same exact things way back in 2001 when Max Payne first came out :LOL:

Still good to hear though! I've been waiting to see more and better use of Euphoria since GTA4 came out. This could wind up being the token setpiece for that tech.

I saw someone else posted in this thread and I was hoping it was someone from Rockstar offering me money. No offense, Sobek :)

As for the bullets, I'm just glad it is still in. I want to see this euphoria stuff in action.

I saw someone else posted in this thread and I was hoping it was someone from Rockstar offering me money. No offense, Sobek :)

As for the bullets, I'm just glad it is still in. I want to see this euphoria stuff in action.

Shut-up-and-take-my-money-300x187.jpg

And I agree, I really want to see how Euphoria works in actual gameplay. The idea of Max bracing himself dynamically against objects and with relation to his weight on either foot and so forth sounds pretty awesome. One of my big gripes in MP1/2 was how you could bullet dodge sideways into a wall and you just kinda slammed against it with no reaction from Max. Maybe now it'll interrupt some of the shooting as he throws a hand out to brace the impact?

Maybe it will be awsome from a technical POV but its not going to be anything like max payne. Say byebye to the awsome dark and gritty film noir feel and say hallo to max in sunny brazil... Rockstar fucked up max just to create another generic shooter.

Best animation I have ever seen, even better than the Uncharted series. Bethesda needs to take notes.

Maybe it will be awsome from a technical POV but its not going to be anything like max payne. Say byebye to the awsome dark and gritty film noir feel and say hallo to max in sunny brazil... Rockstar fucked up max just to create another generic shooter.

Isn't it a bit too early to judge ?

Best animation I have ever seen, even better than the Uncharted series. Bethesda needs to take notes.

I really have to agree to this!
The animation were the best I've seen in a third person shooter.
I can only hope this will come out on the pc!

Totally agree, Rockstar nailed it, it was probably the best showcase of Max Payne they could do. I also love fact that they focused totally on gameplay aspect. I was so pumped seeing this whole 'awesomeness' that i thought that it has a chance to be the best shooter made to date.

Terrific animation. Really bridges that gap between movies and a rendered character. The realistic movement will make the game so engrossing because game characters will move and react in the physically convincing manner that we automatically expect to see in real life.

I really have to agree to this!
The animation were the best I've seen in a third person shooter.
I can only hope this will come out on the pc!

It's already announced for PC! They haven't said if it's day one though.

Don't know how anyone that likes Max Payne couldn't be excited about this one! That's some trippy motion blur on Max during bullet time.

I must say, this trailer has made me interested in the game. The animation looks great, but I don't like the bullet time blurring, it looks like crap.

Back