European Equivalent of Best Buy?

If I were living in Europe (lets say the UK to be specific) and didn't know much about computers where would I go to buy a laptop? I'm doing some research and I'd like to know whats easily available to mainstream Europeans.

PC World & Currys/Dixons, (though I think they're the same company now) are 2 that spring to mind for electrical stuff, John Lewis usually stock pc's too but they're more department store like JC Penny I guess . Ummm, I can't think of anymore nationwide stores that might stock laptops.

If I were living in Europe (lets say the UK to be specific) and didn't know much about computers where would I go to buy a laptop? I'm doing some research and I'd like to know whats easily available to mainstream Europeans.

So what is it? UK or Europe? there is a slight difference ;)

Dixons has stores across europe. Not sure were but atleast UK, Benelux and Germany. I dont think you have pc world outside of the UK. Mediamarkt should have stores across europe too. Germany, Benelux and if I remember right I've seen one in Spain too.

Mediamarkt is probably the one that you can compare best to something like best buy. Dixons mostly has small stores while all mediamarkt stores are large. But I dont know if there is something like best buy in the sence of being available in most EU countries.

Dixons has stores across europe. Not sure were but atleast UK, Benelux and Germany. I dont think you have pc world outside of the UK. Mediamarkt should have stores across europe too. Germany, Benelux and if I remember right I've seen one in Spain too.

Dixon is the largest european electronical retailer (or whatever its called). Aside from just the Dixon stores, they own many many other electronical stores chains across europe. They are in UK,Benelux,Germany, Scandinavia, Italy, Spain, Poland ++++++++

So what is it? UK or Europe? there is a slight difference

lol well yes of course.

Just to reiterate I'm not looking to buy a laptop in Europe myself, I live in Canada. I'm trying to get a sense of what mainstream Europeans buy compared to what North Americans buy. I have a suspicion that Europeans buy more laptops with discreet GPUs but I'd like to get some hard data that supports my assumption.

I dont understand? Do you want to know the big shops so you can see what they sell? In that case its pretty easy. Stores generally pretty much only sell systems that have onboard IGP or low end gpu's in their laptops. CPU's mostly along the C2D line and 2 or 4gb ram. A a fairly large amount of laptops offerd are 17'' models btw. Atleast thats why you generally see in Dutch ads.

Alright is there anything along the line of dixons with an English website? MediaMarkt looks pretty close to ideal but it's a pain to navigate not knowing the language. I want more data.

Random Info:

35% of the laptops listed on the dixons UK website used a dGPU, 8 ATI & 12 NV, the majority low end, a couple mid range, and just 3 high end parts. Compared with futureshop (Canadian best buy) which only had 14% dGPU (42 different model laptops offered, only 6 with dGPUs) Dixons is pretty good. Futureshop was frankly depressing, only 6 dGPUs and absolutely no high end parts. The best you can get is a 9600M GT 512MB 32 shader POS and this is in a $3000 CAD Sony Vaio laptop. You'd think that for that price you'd get some decent graphics.

Back