Line in not working on Intel D975XBX mobo

so I went to go to try and record a set today and I can't for the life of me get line in to work. I'm using vista and under recording devices Line-In is listed as a high definition audio device that is 'Currently unavailable'. I've plugged my mixer output directly into the jack using the appropriate adapter and it still says currently unavailable.

Is there something I'm missing here? I would really like to avoid having to buy a soundcard purely so I can record some sets.

Thanks!

how about on the cd that came with the board
could they possibly be contained in the chipset drivers ?
what make is the audio chipset is it made by a third party eg: realtek
are there drivers on their site?

It's a sigmatel audio chip, I couldn't find any drivers for it... I've installed all the chipset drivers off of intels site and I don't have the original CD anymore :( Ah man this is so silly, you'd think something as simple as line in would be easy to get working (and it was on my MSI K8N Neo4 plat! dam you intel!!)

is there a way of contacting intel
and just to be sure are you saying you installed no audio drivers whatsoever you left it to vista
ps: if you go into properties and update the driver doesnt it search the web ?

ps:
any use
http://sigmatel-audio.software.informer.com/

pps: you should also look for idt drivers
"Last week, Microsoft pushed out a new IDT audio driver via Windows Update. IDT is the company that bought SigmaTel, which makes a lot of the audio chips used on motherboard-based PC sound solutions. So if you have a SigmaTel audio system, that IDT driver should have been for you."

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm those drivers didn't work, gave me some error on install. But I have good news! I got line in to work, the trick was I had to disable the mic. Apparently you can only have one input device enabled at a time.

But I have a new problem now, line in works and I can record all day long no problem but I don't hear any sound from my speakers. So it's pretty much useless if I want to do live sets (which I do). Any ideas there?

No option to enable full duplex :( Audacity can do software play through but it introduces a lag of about .3 seconds which makes it nearly impossible to mix tracks properly...

Probably. but I find kxdriver easier to install :LOL:

I have atrocious memories of hunting down images of driver CDs on the web to get sound working under win98 se with a SB live. I very quickly got sound working under DOS but windows took me like two weeks :oops:.

those cards are unbelievably cheap, very common and given away or sold for 5 euros.

the maddman makes a good point, also worth trying another BIOS as I've seen some which messed up the jack sensing on some boards.

is this the old thing of having to pull up the windows mixer for playback and unmute the line-in port?

I don't see an option at all for line in in the windows volume mixer. Just the currently active output device and the various apps as usual. This is really odd though, you'd think it would be possible somehow. Audacity (the app I use to record) gets the sound perfect, and as I mentioned previously software playthrough works fine but that lag time is unacceptable. I'll give another BIOS a shot but I'm using the latest and I find it hard to believe they'd break the audio...

Anyways it's looking like I'm going to have to get a new soundcard. A SB Live 5.1 circa 2000 will do the trick right? I think there's one lying around here somewhere.

yea i got it working but the sound quality is lacking to say the least. Big big difference with it going through my computer vs direct to speakers. I may end up buying a proper soundcard regardless.

Back