Co-op games on Next Gen consoles.

Horde on Gears 2 is the best co-op experience in gaming, hands down.
I've not played Gears2, but from what I know, isn't it more a case of you both doing the same thing at the same time, shooting things? Is there any required teamwork where player A sets up player B to do something, which then might enable player A to do something else? This is how R2's coop mode is designed. Or is it a case of players sharing the same job of shooting monsters and neither is therefore required?

Horde is essentially a wave-on-wave survivor mode.

Teamwork is very important on Horde. I typically play on Day One or Blood Drive, but in both cases, it's important to work together to acquire shields to block off enemies, use the mortar and/or hammer of dawn to strategically eliminate dangerous opponents, look out for wraiths and sires that can knock down shields, revive downed players, etc. I've played a few public matches of Horde, but it's basically impossible to survive the later waves if the team isn't communicating.

R2 is much better.

I like Resistance 2, but I'd disagree. It's a different kind of game with more run & gun style shooting, but the biggest difference for me is that I don't have enough friends on the PS3 with the game to really enjoy it.

I like Resistance 2, but I'd disagree. It's a different kind of game with more run & gun style shooting, but the biggest difference for me is that I don't have enough friends on the PS3 with the game to really enjoy it.

You don't need to have friends on the PS3 friends list to play R2 co-op. I play with strangers all the time.

You don't need to have friends on the PS3 friends list to play R2 co-op. I play with strangers all the time.

The problem though is that no one talks on PSN, presumably because most don't have headsets, which is why I never use PSN. A mute online world makes co-op play impossible, and multiplayer boring as hell. I know some people here prefer the silence, but I really hate it.

Is it still uncommon ? I have been in games where some someone led by giving orders. Most of the team members, including myself, kept quiet but we followed the orders. That's sufficient for me.

Some people like to chat with their friends while fighting aliens, I find that distracting (but didn't really care enough to do anything).

So yeah, few people may talk but I don't think it's game breaking. Most of the time, people knew what they were doing and they looked out for each other.

It's people who don't know how to play well (e.g., Medics who don't heal comrades, SpecOps who don't dish out ammos, ...) that kills a game. Some have mic but simply ignored everyone else (or they only chatted with their friends). In general, people who need help will yell "Ammo !" or "Medic !". Not sure why they wouldn't really -- unless they think they are well taken care of (like me ! ^_^).

Back