European Console Sales (2009 Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dang it's almost like the UK likes the X360 even more than the US.

Regards,
SB

They sure do, even though we don´know what 43% actually means in real numbers!

One wonders if the sales of the Arcade also will go up after MS raised the price or if they actually will go down.

I think there may be a possibility that the distribution of 360 sales over Arcade and Elite SKUs have changed after that the price of the Arcade unit was raised and the price of the Elite was lowered. What do you think?

But, but... is it 43% faster sales or sales 43% as fast?

It's probably a decent bump over the previous week's slow sales. I mean, when the Slim numbers come in from Japan for the PS3 that week to week percentage increase number is going to be like 5000% because the prior week's figure was so artificially low due to shortages and anticipation of the new version.

It's probably a decent bump over the previous week's slow sales. I mean, when the Slim numbers come in from Japan for the PS3 that week to week percentage increase number is going to be like 5000% because the prior week's figure was so artificially low due to shortages and anticipation of the new version.

Thats how you get good numbers for your press release :p

I think there may be a possibility that the distribution of 360 sales over Arcade and Elite SKUs have changed after that the price of the Arcade unit was raised and the price of the Elite was lowered. What do you think?

Do we even know if the Arcade was the best-selling SKU in the UK? I'm certain that any reports on the Elite's sales will be impossible to parse, given all the mixup.

The article is poorly written. It says Elite is up 43%, but the actual quote in the article is this:

""Sales of Xbox 360 are up 43 per cent," a representative for GfK Chart-Track told GamesIndustry.biz. "Essentially, looking at the price, obviously it's the Elite that's done the business with those sales.""

That quote says the 360 is up 43% overall, the bulk of which is coming from the elite. So which is it?

Excellent PS3 hardware increase (1000%), unsure what I think about the PS3 software increase (17%). 360 elite up 29% over last weeks 43%.

More here:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/35676/UK-PS3-sales-up-999
“The sales increase is very impressive, making the PS3 the top selling hardware in Week 36. The Xbox 360, Wii and DS Lite all sold around the same amount last week – PS3 Slim outsold each of them by a ratio of three-to-one.”

The sales-tracking firm added that it’s unsure how long the uplift will continue for.

And here:

http://www.gamezine.co.uk/news/form...ket-in-uk-following-slim-release-$1325246.htm
The £249.99 slimmer console has had a boost in sales surpassing 1000 per cent over a week earlier, according to Chart-Track, which has resulted in some sales increases for PS3 titles.

The greatest beneficiary is the 2007 title Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, which saw a massive 128 per cent rise in sales, climbing from tenth to third. This is the game's highest position in the UK All Formats Chart for almost one-and-a-half years.

Sales for Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 climb 38 per cent, Call of Duty: World at War 7 per cent and Fight Night Round 4 re-enters the top ten with a 68 per cent rise in sales.

The total increase of PS3 software units was 17 per cent, putting it third behind the Nintendo Wii and Xbox 360. PS3 software sales by value increased by 5 per cent, claiming second place behind the Xbox 360.

And here:

http://www.gamezine.co.uk/news/form...ximately-40k-in-uk-s-launch-week-$1325322.htm
We've already reported that the PS3 sold 11 times more than the previous week in the UK following the release of the PS3 Slim. This statistic was provided by Chart-Track, but they were reluctant to release solid hardware figures.

However, one statistic stood out. The PS2 Slim outperformed the PS3 Slim by 21 per cent its launch week in 2004. That number has now been discovered.

According to a 2004 BBC report, the PS2 Slim's launch boosted sales by three times to approximately 50,000 units during its launch week, with numbers provided by Chart-Track. We're sure that they've left a paper trail for us.

That puts the PS3's sales for the week ending 5th September at approximately 41,000 units. If the 1000 per cent increase in sales over a week earlier are to be believed, then the PS3 sold 3,700 units the week before the PS3 Slim's launch.

We can also track the other video game hardware sales, since the Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii and DS Lite each sold three-times less than the PS3 this week. This will put each of them at 13,700 units.

With the Xbox 360 seeing a 29 per cent increase this week, the console sold approximately 9,700 units last week, meaning Microsoft's Xbox 360 Elite price cut prompted a 4,200 unit increase in sales (the console experienced a 43 per cent rise after the price drop was announced).

So, although the sales are very impressive for just the UK, Japan puts everything into context with a 15,000 per cent increase in sales at 150,000 units sold in the PS3 Slims first week on sale.

Excellent PS3 hardware increase (1000%), unsure what I think about the PS3 software increase (17%). 360 elite up 29% over last weeks 43%.

EDIT: Saw the conversation in the slim thread, thought this was a better place for the UK sales.

I would say it's a pretty good time to run some special pricing (platinum editions?) on some of the older titles. I'd imagine a $25 MGS4 would do quite well right now.

Very impressive sales increase. Hope the momentum keeps up this time around. I'm surprised to see both the PS3 and X360 up in sales despite the current economic conditions. But I suppose this is one good way to distract yourself from those realworld concerns. :)

From what I'm hearing in the US, PS3 has also seen a 100% increase in sales due with the introduction of the PS3 Slim and the price cut. So very good news overall.

Hopefully, this will help Sony turn around it's financial position this year.

Regards,
SB

So, although the sales are very impressive for just the UK, Japan puts everything into context with a 15,000 per cent increase in sales at 150,000 units sold in the PS3 Slims first week on sale.

:oops:

It seems that really many waited for the pricedrop! I would've thought that many users where "lost" to Microsoft and that it will not make such an big difference. Ok, maybe I misquoted, because Japan is hardly the place where Microsoft has the home advantage over Sony ;) .

I'm very keen to see the Christmas sales and Microsofts reaction to Sonys move. Ah, how I like competition, it's great for us customers...

In Holland, Xbox (arcade) has been available for 150 euros for a loooooooooong time. Even with this information, plus the fact that it was on the market a full 17 months earlier, did not stop the ps3 from overtaking the 360. Holland is one of the richest countries in the world however..
But, now that PS3 is more affordable to a lot of people, I think they will get a PS3.
This is the 4th year of the xbox being on the market. If people really wanted to get an xbox, they would have at 150 euro a year ago. I don't think the 360 market is expanding in europa anymore.
England is the only county where 360 is at an advantage: that's why US sites only use UK data ;)

In Holland, Xbox (arcade) has been available for 150 euros for a loooooooooong time. Even with this information, plus the fact that it was on the market a full 17 months earlier, did not stop the ps3 from overtaking the 360. Holland is one of the richest countries in the world however..
But, now that PS3 is more affordable to a lot of people, I think they will get a PS3.
This is the 4th year of the xbox being on the market. If people really wanted to get an xbox, they would have at 150 euro a year ago. I don't think the 360 market is expanding in europa anymore.
England is the only county where 360 is at an advantage: that's why US sites only use UK data ;)
Before the price cut the 360 was indeed growing whereas the ps3 and the Wii were going down.
Things just changed don't be conclusi e too early ;)
The ps3 wipped the floor even more quickly than you say then after the price cut MS almost maked up for it. For now till next MS move (consistent price drop) I expect Sony to make up for their 1 millions units deficit and most likely more, but then it's a bit too early to talk imho.

I think US sites use UK data because we get the most comprehensive data from them, via chart track. For example we get a UK top 40 whereas the other countries we may get a top 10. It also helps that UK software charts is released first each week.

The rest of Europe is covered mostly by GFK I think, and they dont publicize as much. At least for example Chart Track will release blurbs about hardware, for example their reporting on the increase for PS3 slim. We dont have any other countries reporting services doing that.

And also, that the Uk is the most major market in EU, and 2nd/3rd biggest worldwide,, and an english speaking nation, all that plays in...

The UKs importance is overstated because it's where lots of the devs are based in Europe. I would say Spain, Germany and the UK are as big as each other

France is bigger than Spain and consistently tinier than UK and Germany.
As Shifty explained some posts ago, Germany ranked #1 because the UK market has gone donw a lot in the last months.

I think US sites use UK data because we get the most comprehensive data from them, via chart track. For example we get a UK top 40 whereas the other countries we may get a top 10. It also helps that UK software charts is released first each week.

The rest of Europe is covered mostly by GFK I think, and they dont publicize as much. At least for example Chart Track will release blurbs about hardware, for example their reporting on the increase for PS3 slim. We dont have any other countries reporting services doing that.

And also, that the Uk is the most major market in EU, and 2nd/3rd biggest worldwide,, and an english speaking nation, all that plays in...

UK is the second largest individual market, ahead of Japan. At least it was in 2008.

Was thinking about the not so huge software sales increase for PS3. Could this be evidence to suggest that many of the new owners were not buying games with the system, which would in turn suggest that many of the sales would be from people buying a second PS3 or a replacement for thier current fat model?

Was thinking about the not so huge software sales increase for PS3. Could this be evidence to suggest that many of the new owners were not buying games with the system, which would in turn suggest that many of the sales would be from people buying a second PS3 or a replacement for thier current fat model?

They all bought one game: Call of Duty 4 (it saw a 128% increase.) Why would you need more than one game when you first get it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back