European Console Sales (2009 Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
lasts until april 11?

anyway, seems to be only in germany. lowest price in holland is still 234 for the pro set (239 is suggested retail for the pro bundle +lego jones/kung fu panda)

Do you guys have the "money back" offer for Xbox 360? In Finland, if one buys a console + Lips / wireless controller / one of the other products in the program, you'll get 50€ back.

Currently Xbox 360 Arcade Super Value (console + 5 arcade games + Sega Superstars Tennis + Kung Fu Panda + Lego Indiana Jones) costs 168€ and the wireless controllers is around 40€. So about 160€ for a console with few games + 2 controllers. Not bad :)

Do you guys have the "money back" offer for Xbox 360? In Finland, if one buys a console + Lips / wireless controller / one of the other products in the program, you'll get 50€ back.

Currently Xbox 360 Arcade Super Value (console + 5 arcade games + Sega Superstars Tennis + Kung Fu Panda + Lego Indiana Jones) costs 168€ and the wireless controllers is around 40€. So about 160€ for a console with few games + 2 controllers. Not bad :)

We´ve had essentially the same deal in Sweden for some time. MS is really aggressive in their pricing right now. The deal in Germany was really surprising. it´s obvious that they feel they need to do something in these markets to maintain the interest.

I think Killzone2 and RE5 has surged some interest in the PS3. Killzone2 was the first PS3 exclusive that has been properly advertised here in Sweden, lots of billboard ads, TV commercials and so on.

Nope, nor MIR's or anything like that. the Dutch are cheap and not fond of paying for their own money.

We got a different deal, if your X360 RRoD's 3 times, you get a full refound required by law.

It's basically numbers from one (mostly) European store chain isn't it? And basically from their financial reports...

So it's not entirely indicative of actual numbers in those regions, but might show a general trend of relationship between the consoles.

Regards,
SB

It's basically numbers from one (mostly) European store chain isn't it? And basically from their financial reports...

So it's not entirely indicative of actual numbers in those regions, but might show a general trend of relationship between the consoles.

Regards,
SB

Nope. It's the actual numbers as taken from Gfk-Chartrack (at least for the UK). It's unclear where they get the actual numbers for the other regions. It's not just console sales made in Game stores themselves.

Nope. It's the actual numbers as taken from Gfk-Chartrack (at least for the UK). It's unclear where they get the actual numbers for the other regions. It's not just console sales made in Game stores themselves.

Yep, from the looks of it all numbers are from GfK, IMO.

Those numbers are to the end of 2008 btw, and were reported on then.

So interesting, but a bit dated, as well as "old news".

Rangers is right. GfK-ChartTrack released those UK numbers as of 31-Dec-08. That hasn't stopped most "news" sites proclaiming them as new, based on the fact that they appear in the GAME report labelled 31-Jan-09. They haven't even noticed that the numbers didn't change in the supposedly intervening month.

Says a lot about videogaming websites, really.

Even dated this numbers are new in the way that they were not public till some journalists dare to investigate.

The only surprising bit in there, for me at least. I don't generally keep much of an eye on the European market is that...

X360 install base in Britain is 3.2 million versus 1.9 million for PS3. OK that's not the part that had me taking a double take, but...

PS3 LTD sales in non-UK countries that are tracked was down to only 300k more than X360.

I had always assumed that PS3 was selling in greater numbers in Europe. But according to this for Europe combined the X360 is leading PS3 by about 1 million units.

So I'm guessing that MS's holiday push was successful and it erased and reversed PS3's lead in Europe.

Or was I always wrong in my assumption that PS3 had a healthy lead in Europe?

Granted Germany isn't tracked (according to the article), so PS3 could be completely dominating there similar to how X360 has a large lead in the UK.

Regards,
SB

The PS3 was released over a year later and has always been much more expensive, why would it have had a healthy lead?

The PS3 was released over a year later and has always been much more expensive, why would it have had a healthy lead?

Probably because everytime I looked at a thread about sales numbers, people were saying in response to X360 currently leading in sales this generation...

Oh, but PS3 is leading X360 in Europe because it's much more popular.

Well, after PS3 had been around for a bit, I believe it was as early as Winter of 07 that people were proclaiming the fact that PS3 had taken the lead from X360 and was quickly leaving it in the dust. Thus closing the world wide numbers gap significantly.

And since I don't keep track of European sales closely and there's not really a European NPD, I just took it for granted that PS3 had more appeal in Europe.

Regards,
SB

The only surprising bit in there, for me at least. I don't generally keep much of an eye on the European market is that...

X360 install base in Britain is 3.2 million versus 1.9 million for PS3. OK that's not the part that had me taking a double take, but...

PS3 LTD sales in non-UK countries that are tracked was down to only 300k more than X360.

I had always assumed that PS3 was selling in greater numbers in Europe. But according to this for Europe combined the X360 is leading PS3 by about 1 million units.

So I'm guessing that MS's holiday push was successful and it erased and reversed PS3's lead in Europe.

Or was I always wrong in my assumption that PS3 had a healthy lead in Europe?

Granted Germany isn't tracked (according to the article), so PS3 could be completely dominating there similar to how X360 has a large lead in the UK.

Regards,
SB

This is not all of Europe. Germany, Italy, every country thats not one of the handful listed is missing.

UK is by far the largest EU market though, usually generalized as around 1/3 of the total. Germany isn't close to that big..for one thing Germany is supposedly bigger on PC gaming. You usually see UK around 30%, France and Germany following at ~20% each on EU market share charts.

Here is some data, I really couldnt even tell you where I got these, but surely from some reliable GAF source

European sub-market distribution by value
2008 2007
UK 32.6% 31.7%
France 19.8% 19.3%
Germany 18.6% 19.1%
Spain 9.6% 11.3%
Italy 8.5% 8.1%
Netherlands 4.5% 3.9%
Belgium 2.9% 2.7%
Sweden 2.3% 2.7%
Portugal 1.2% 1.3%

Also the numbers are low..5.5 and 4.5 million, both PS3 and 360 should be around 7+ million in the greater EU area sold. Though what countries this includes (could even be some Middle East) is tenous, and some of the difference can be down to simple shipped versus sold.

Possibly because David Reeves of SCEE said early last year that the PS3 was already 300K ahead in PAL territories. MS disputed the number.

He then said that the PS3 would be leading the 360 in total sales by July last year. It didn't happen.

There's this perception (which is somewhat correct in my opinion) that Europe is Sonyland. Go to Spain, Poland, etc and the noun "Playstation" is synonomous with "Games Console" in the same way that a cola-flavoured beverage is referred to as "Coke" and we usually don't "Vacuum" but rather "Hoover".

Some time ago some friends came to visit from the Czech Republic and, of an evening, wanted to play a few games on my Playstation, which was clearly labelled "XBox 360". ;)

Additionally, even large companies such as EA were looking at the PS3 to have a healthy lead in Europe by now, given that in Jan 08, when laying out their plans for the year, they predicted 6m PS3 sales for Europe, against 2.5m for the 360.

according to the wiki pages outside of europe PS3 has 1.9 million in "other" PAL areas vs 4.5 million for the 360.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back