Windows 7

I much prefer the new superbar. Try it for a week. Soon enough you'll only use the windows menu for searching and shutting down the PC.

IIRC Windows 7 Starter Edition doesn't have them but a cursory search didn't show up any solutions for disabling it in other editions.

You can put your own shortcuts (your HDDs) there if you want but as for removing the other stuff you can't. To ease into it, go into Folder Options and disable "Show all folders" and "Automatically expand to current folder".

I also preferred Vista's way of doing this as it allowed you to hide everything except your custom shortcuts... oh well.

I just dont like it. I want to have easy acces to rdp, desktop, firefox etc. Pinning those apps makes me crazy because everything gets clutterd.

I found solutions for my problems though. You can add a regkey to delay the preview time. Not the cleanest way but atleast I dont get to see it anymore and I managed to get rid of libries and homegroups and used favs to add shortcuts to my disks and server.

I heavily suggest setting the superbar to left edge instead of bottom on widescreen monitors, once you get used to it you'll wonder why it hasn't always been there.

That was definitely my preferred location when running the RC releases. Did they add an option to keep the start button in the bottom left corner? I like the bar on the left but it's hard to retrain myself to go to the top left corner. I submitted feedback asking for the option, but I don't know if they implemented it.

That was definitely my preferred location when running the RC releases. Did they add an option to keep the start button in the bottom left corner? I like the bar on the left but it's hard to retrain myself to go to the top left corner. I submitted feedback asking for the option, but I don't know if they implemented it.

So did I, but no, they didn't.

A question to those using Windows 7, how are the new games working?

Wolfenstein II, Call of Duty 5, NFS Shift, etc?

What about nvidia drivers and SLI?

Thanks.

I just dont like it. I want to have easy acces to rdp, desktop, firefox etc. Pinning those apps makes me crazy because everything gets clutterd.

I found solutions for my problems though. You can add a regkey to delay the preview time. Not the cleanest way but atleast I dont get to see it anymore and I managed to get rid of libries and homegroups and used favs to add shortcuts to my disks and server.

The superbar has just as fast access to desktop, it's just in different spot, in the right edge of it, holding mouse on in shows the "preview" of desktop (outlines of windows + desktop behind them), but clicking shows desktop just like the old "show desktop" or whatever it was in the quicklaunch

I heavily suggest setting the superbar to left edge instead of bottom on widescreen monitors, once you get used to it you'll wonder why it hasn't always been there.

I understand the logic but it just feels wrong! I'll give it ago when I get my copy though. Actually I already have my copy, I'm just waiting for the rest of the hardware to ship so that I can build a fresh system from scratch. i7 860, 4GB DDR3 1600, Radeon 5850...its gonna be sweet!!

The superbar has just as fast access to desktop, it's just in different spot, in the right edge of it, holding mouse on in shows the "preview" of desktop (outlines of windows + desktop behind them), but clicking shows desktop just like the old "show desktop" or whatever it was in the quicklaunch

I know that ofcourse. But its not logical. You got your start button of the left, I got my quicklaunch with word, firefox etc there too, but suddenly your desktop button is on the right. So when I need something i'm used to going to the left, now for 1 button I need to go to the right. Not nice. I just like it better the old way.

Using your relatively slow mouse to click an icon isn't logical; why aren't you just pushing Win+D instead? That's faster, and is always "in the same place" ever since WinXP.

It's my interpretation that your complaints are far more along the lines of having your cheese moved rather than logical effect.

Because when im just browsing or configging things I dont always want to use 2 hands. Its not relaxing.

Who has tried games so far? For me Gears of War wont boot into main menu and in NFS: Shift I get extreme slowdowns (like 1fps for quite a bit of time) in situations where there seems to be alot of physics going on (crashes). I never had any slowdowns in XP. Anyone else also having these or other problems?

No problems here with games, either old (Placescape, System Shock 2) to the latest (SF4).

tongue: The beauty of the new show desktop button is two fold: a) it's in a corner so you don't even have to aim at an icon, just drag-throw the mouse in the general direction of the right-bottom of the screen. b) You don't even have to click if you just want to read info from the desktop.

It took me a while to get used to not having the show desktop on the left but now it works better for me. You can't expect to use something new and be as productive as you were in the old ways: but if you stick with it you may find you'll work better once you get used to it.

Same thing with the office ribbon: at first I didn't like it, felt lost, everything took twice as long to do, etc. But then I adapted and now I'm much more productive.

If after a reasonable time you still don't like it, that's fine. There's no perfect UI.

Btw, Microsoft has released some free themes to celebrate the launch and get other companies involved ("it's all a big party, are you going to miss it?"). There's a Ferrari theme, Gears of War, etc. And you didn't even need to pay for Windows 7 Ultimate Extras either. :p

Apparently Ultimate Windows Tweaker can disable thumbnail previews from the taskbar.

If anyone figures out how to enable X-mouse window activation (hover) like the XP TweakUI let me know. It looks like Ultimate Windows Tweaker can't do it. There's a built in option to activate a window based on the cursor location, but it annoyingly brings the window to the front.

Btw, Microsoft has released some free themes to celebrate the launch and get other companies involved ("it's all a big party, are you going to miss it?"). There's a Ferrari theme, Gears of War, etc. And you didn't even need to pay for Windows 7 Ultimate Extras either. :p

Can I have a Snow Leopard theme?! :D

I got my Windows 7 installed. All my home computers are still running Windows XP, so the upgrade process is quite... lengthy, as in-place upgrade is not supported. (The computer I'm using right now was actually running Windows 7 RC, but again in-place upgrade from Windows 7 RC is not supported either.) Worse, one of my home computer has only one IDE port, and the HDD with Windows XP is using it. As the IDE cable is pretty short, it's very difficult to connect the HDD with the DVD-ROM altogether... and unfortunately my Windows 7 is upgrade version, that means it needs to see the stupid Windows XP partition to be able to install. Unfortunately I don't have a > 4GB USB drive either. Now I'm using ghost to copy the Windows XP partition into a new SATA HDD, and hopefully it would allow me to "upgrade."

For now I don't see anything different from the RC version I've been using for quite a while, other than the default background is no longer a "betta" fish, and it's in traditional Chinese. Oh, and the Live Movie Maker is finally out of beta, and it looks more usable, but still kind of vanilla.

The beta version of the live movie maker was a bit basket of fail applied in a very slow manner. I much preferred the one in XP honestly. And that's hard for me to say, since I'm pretty happy with Vista and Win7 both.

So is the non-beta version of LMM any better than it was?

Back